Dying Treee

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stressed trees attract insects. The insects detect its pheromone. That's how mother nature get wrid of its weak species. Once a tree is B&B, it goes into shock or stress. It can loose up to 85% of it's roots. The trick is how do you get it out of and keep it out of stress.

I have to emphasize that I’d you are going to use Dino on the Magnolia please make sure to apply it after flower. It can raise hell on pollinators but is out of the tree in 3 months.

Like @ATH said, following up in the fall (when scale are in their crawler phase) with oil or soap will be a good combination to fix your problem with scale.

Another good option for fall scale applications is a product called Proxite. It a very low tox, will not harm beneficials, and eliminates scale by not allowing them to mature into adults. Good stuff, but needs to be timed properly.

@Jed1124
I just got the safari 20G. After reading the warning label it seems like a beast. Any recommendations for mixing it up and pouring it via ground soak to be as safe as possible?
- such as good PPE, gloves etc.

I’m in Ohio not sure when the crawler phase is here. I’ve looked around and not a ton of detailed information from what I’ve found. I did get the oil as well to spray.

The magnolia already bloomed for the year. Happens early spring here.

The product label should be the best instructions you can find. Furthermore, you are legally required to follow the label instructions. Now if you have some part of that label that you don't understand, we can probably help.

I've not used that product, so I have no specific comments. Sorry.

The product label should be the best instructions you can find. Furthermore, you are legally required to follow the label instructions. Now if you have some part of that label that you don't understand, we can probably help.

I've not used that product, so I have no specific comments. Sorry.
@Jed1124
I just got the safari 20G. After reading the warning label it seems like a beast. Any recommendations for mixing it up and pouring it via ground soak to be as safe as possible?

I’m in Ohio not sure when the crawler phase is here. I’ve looked around and not a ton of detailed information from what I’ve found. I did get the oil as well to spray.

As was stated, follow the label. It will tell you all the pertinent information you need like required ppe.
Crawler phase should be September-October for crawlers.

@Jed1124

Hopefully they gave you the dry weight measuring cup with you order.
Do not make the mistake of using a liquid measuring cup when making your mix.

Low pressure course spray on the lower trunk, need not be concerned about timing.
Mix using enough water, in your case about a quart, to throughly wet 4-5ft of the trunk.

Low pressure course spray on the lower trunk, need not be concerned about timing.
Mix using enough water, in your case about a quart, to throughly wet 4-5ft of the trunk.
Correct but I think he is going to try to target crawlers with oil as well. My experience with Magnolia scale has required an app of Dino after flower and then an oil or soap app in late Summer/early fall to control any remaining crawlers for good control. Tough bugger to get complete control in one season without the crawler application too.

I've never used dino on soft scale. I don't have any experience with the results. Imidacloprid is less costly with good control on the softies.

Latest posts

Back