EAB reaches Wisconsin

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was out of Michigan state university. Still it says exactly what you and I have said, no proof of larvae survival on any other tree.

Well, we are the 10th state (province) to find the EAB. Just for reference, they found it one county north of Milwaukee. I hope the pesticides help...

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=779618
Southern Ontario/ metro Toronto area has destroyed over 100,000 Ash trees that were infected with E.A.B.
From what I've read there really is no foreseeable way to stop the insect short of developing new sub-species of Ash that are not prone to attack. Scientists are working on it now.

But it hasn't played out that way. EAB has not been stopped - or even slowed for that matter. There are several spots where ALB has been successfully eradicated, and more where the battle against it is on the way to being won. It doesn't kill the tree as quickly so it doesn't need to go looking for new hosts. It does not fly as well so it can't spread as quickly on its own.

The only way it is a "greater" threat is the longer list of species it attacks...otherwise it has been proven a lesser threat - but not a threat to be ignored or dealt with lightly! In fact, I think ALB deserves a more aggressive wide scale program than EAB because those programs work for ALB where they have failed for EAB.

Agreed on the ALB point. That dude could be super devastating.
I'm in Columbus Ohio where EAB hit pretty early in the game and generally speaking, the lone survivors have been treated with emmamectin or are very very isolated.

Wow sorry to hear of these problems over there, it must be very devastating, I hope the budget allows for a solution soon that allows for affected tree removal, although I'm not sure if that would solve the problem. I'm glad we don't have these problems in Australia, we have enough tricky tree removal problems on the Sunshine Coast in Australia http://trickytreesolutions.com/

We don't have a lot of ash here in NC but the green bug has arrived nonetheless. From what I read and hear, drenching works on smaller trees but larger trees have to be injected for effective control.

Is this true? Why or why not? What diameter is the threshold? I have a few big ash trees under my management, and I Hate to drill if I don't need to.

15" is where you have to increase your imidacloprid 2F dose from 0.2 oz per inch to 0.3 to 0.4. Thats why we lost so many large ash early on because we were basically underdosing them because they hadn't changed the label yet.

I would say trees over 20" or so are injection worthy.

Where do I go to get information treating my ash here in NY? imidacloprid isn't available here. Thanks
Treating yourself? Try the local Extension office.

Hiring someone else: https://www.treesaregood.org/findanarborist/findanarborist

Tree-age works great if you hire it and gives multiseason control. Dinotefuran (Safari or Transtect) works well and is easy to apply, but is expensive. Abacide-2 is also a decent option.

I can pass along some things I have learned and observed recently.

I live in NW lower MI, about 200 miles from where EAB likely first began to spread, 20 years ago. The active “front” reached us quickly and was particularly devastating on the Green & Black Ash in riparian corridors where they made a high % of the stand composition. White Ash mortality was more slow to develop as they are generally around in much lower #s on upland sites, farther apart. But eventually most of those succumbed too.

My area was also one of the very first to have the Asian predator wasps released; probably because it was the first National Forest affected by EAB. This was 15 years ago already.

Finally last year I was able to get some answers on how that turned out. The Asian wasps are effective - but they have only managed to reproduce on about 40% of release sites. Iirc, there are 3 species of these wasps. Also, raising them for release has some challenges but is not impossible. Bottom line: they do work.

Even better news is that North American varieties of such wasps have begun adapting to the presence of EAB and begun feeding on them too. As of course other predators such as birds have as well. It is worth recalling that there are Ash species in Asia and EAB can’t operate in a way that extirpates it’s host species after all.

These days, what I see while out on the land is encouraging. There is generally a strong presence of Ash in the seedling layer on Ash sites. There has always been a minimum required diameter of around 3” to a stem below which the borer can’t attack the stem as the grubs are just too big to fit between the bark and cambium on still small stems. And occasionally a small Ash can still produce a seed crop before it has EAB infestation.

But what I am seeing now is more and more pole diameter trees, first at 4-6”, then at 6-8”, including on some riparian sites where I fish. This spring I worked on a northern hardwoods site with a lot of White Ash mortality over the previous decade, but also a whole lot of young Ash coming up now. Some of these were in the 8-10” class and were 100% healthy, many with yet another seed crop on the way.

So overall I am optimistic about the future of Ash, and I think it will recover better than some of our other species being attacked by much smaller exotic insects or fungal/viral pathogens.

Well that is some good news for a change. Hopefully the Ash will recover but it will be beyond my lifespan. EAB was in WI some 6 or more years before the WI DNR made any comments about it which means that it was here in the late 90's to early 2000's. On my own propery I took down several ash the were in fact attacked by the borer around 2015

I can pass along some things I have learned and observed recently.

I live in NW lower MI, about 200 miles from where EAB likely first began to spread, 20 years ago. The active “front” reached us quickly and was particularly devastating on the Green & Black Ash in riparian corridors where they made a high % of the stand composition. White Ash mortality was more slow to develop as they are generally around in much lower #s on upland sites, farther apart. But eventually most of those succumbed too.

My area was also one of the very first to have the Asian predator wasps released; probably because it was the first National Forest affected by EAB. This was 15 years ago already.

Finally last year I was able to get some answers on how that turned out. The Asian wasps are effective - but they have only managed to reproduce on about 40% of release sites. Iirc, there are 3 species of these wasps. Also, raising them for release has some challenges but is not impossible. Bottom line: they do work.

Even better news is that North American varieties of such wasps have begun adapting to the presence of EAB and begun feeding on them too. As of course other predators such as birds have as well. It is worth recalling that there are Ash species in Asia and EAB can’t operate in a way that extirpates it’s host species after all.

These days, what I see while out on the land is encouraging. There is generally a strong presence of Ash in the seedling layer on Ash sites. There has always been a minimum required diameter of around 3” to a stem below which the borer can’t attack the stem as the grubs are just too big to fit between the bark and cambium on still small stems. And occasionally a small Ash can still produce a seed crop before it has EAB infestation.

But what I am seeing now is more and more pole diameter trees, first at 4-6”, then at 6-8”, including on some riparian sites where I fish. This spring I worked on a northern hardwoods site with a lot of White Ash mortality over the previous decade, but also a whole lot of young Ash coming up now. Some of these were in the 8-10” class and were 100% healthy, many with yet another seed crop on the way.

So overall I am optimistic about the future of Ash, and I think it will recover better than some of our other species being attacked by much smaller exotic insects or fungal/viral pathogens.
Good info. I'm at the Tip of the Mit and our woodlot mirrors your findings. I cut the last of our mature White Ash into firewood last weekend, but if you look around there's a fair amount of new ash growth mixed into the floor with the other hardwoods and there's a few healthy saplings taking off here and there. I won't be here to see them reach any significant size, but I'm confident that they'll be back for future generations to harvest.

Good info. I'm at the Tip of the Mit and our woodlot mirrors your findings. I cut the last of our mature White Ash into firewood last weekend, but if you look around there's a fair amount of new ash growth mixed into the floor with the other hardwoods and there's a few healthy saplings taking off here and there. I won't be here to see them reach any significant size, but I'm confident that they'll be back for future generations to harvest.
I see carpets of ash seedlings. I am not as confident as you that those will make it. But the info that @newforest posted about the parasitic wasps is encouraging...so I hope you are right!

It hit SW Ohio and Northern Kentucky some years back. Urban property I sold was skirted with nice, mature ash. Maybe seven trees, originally. We lost one double trunked tree to wind damage, not the EAB. Cut another due to trunk rot. But the remaining five I used either an injection or drench, and kept the borer at bay. Sold it to younger couple, first thing they did was cut down two front shade trees. Go figure.

On current 59 acres, I have maybe a 5-6 acres stand of woods, then a smaller bunch of trees lining a swale. All hardwood, some ash, some oak.
You can see some dead trees, and I've cut down a few, but not as many as you'd expect.

Back