Early 026 air filters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irhunter

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I read that there are early and late 026 air filters. I have 1121 120 1602 which is 3" wide and 3.17" tall. This seems to be the late 026, non-pro, filter.

The IPL suggests the early filter is 1121 120 1612. Can someone please provide the dimensions of this older filter. Anyone buy one recently?

Thanks,

Roy

I read that there are early and late 026 air filters. I have 1121 120 1602 which is 3" wide and 3.17" tall. This seems to be the late 026, non-pro, filter.

The IPL suggests the early filter is 1121 120 1612. Can someone please provide the dimensions of this older filter. Anyone buy one recently?

Thanks,

Roy
What exactly are you trying to do? There were several different tank assemblies and AF covers as well as airfilters. Tha AF has to match the correct version. Put up some pictures of the saw and back of the carb with the filter removed.

What exactly are you trying to do? There were several different tank assemblies and AF covers as well as airfilters. Tha AF has to match the correct version. Put up some pictures of the saw and back of the carb with the filter removed.
The saw starts and runs with the choke closed. It seems the master control is correctly pushing up against the AF choke lever.

It feels like the AF is not seating properly...and, may be letting air in between the AF and carb. Especially on the left side of the AF.Red AF.jpgRed carb.jpg

The IPL shows a PN for an older filter...and, I am wondering if that will solve my problem.

I am using 1121 120 1602.

The saw starts and runs with the choke closed. It seems the master control is correctly pushing up against the AF choke lever.

It feels like the AF is not seating properly...and, may be letting air in between the AF and carb. Especially on the left side of the AF.View attachment 949378View attachment 949379

The IPL shows a PN for an older filter...and, I am wondering if that will solve my problem.

It feels like the AF is not seating properly...and, may be letting air in between the AF and carb. Especially on the left side of the AF.View attachment 949378View attachment 949379

Turn the saw left side facing up, you should be able to see the airfilter base contact the carb throat and if it fits tight.

It looks like you are trying to put a "wide" filter on a saw that only takes the narrow one. As you have found out the "tall" tank vent gets in the way. You need to find a narrow filter for everything to fit correctly.

It looks like there are two versions of the the narrow filter as follows:

1121 120 1611 "air filter" Fleece?, flocked?
1121 120 1612 "air filter felt"

This is from a 1998-11 dated IPL

Thanks,

Roy
I recently learned this lesson myself. Get the IPL, and than go look at each filter via the Part #. eBay always has photos. Ray Charles can see the differences; the filters (3 different), are notched for specific tank vent systems.

This question should be answered by now. Do these simple threads actually go on forever?

Saw your concern was starts and runs with choke on, no mention of anything else is that the issue? Just had an 038 like that. Over time had a few more and never really bothered why? Never tried to choke while running to see if it kills the engine. Maybe someone else has the answer?

Saw your concern was starts and runs with choke on, no mention of anything else is that the issue? Just had an 038 like that. Over time had a few more and never really bothered why? Never tried to choke while running to see if it kills the engine. Maybe someone else has the answer?
The choke shutter/flap does not always close tight on these saws, the 028 and 038 the same if the choke flap does not close completely the engine will still run with the choke lever positioned full on. Air is still bypassing the choke flap just enough that the engine will run but it will be very rich mixture going into the crankcase.

OK, thanks, all.

My filter is 3" wide, and right now, I just don't think there is a narrower one.

When viewed from the left, it looks like the filter is correct on the carb.

I have one AM and three OEM filters...all the same...all allow the saw to run on choke. I will admit to having a bad attitude...this choke-in-filter set up has always struck me as a bad idea.

That 024 saw...no longer mine. I don't think I would ever run one of those winter filters.

"This question should be answered by now. Do these simple threads actually go on forever?" Cpt Bruce: There is an unwatch button...help yourself.

I will eventually get this worked out. I will report back. Thanks, again.

Roy

OK, thanks, all.

My filter is 3" wide, and right now, I just don't think there is a narrower one.

When viewed from the left, it looks like the filter is correct on the carb.

I have one AM and three OEM filters...all the same...all allow the saw to run on choke. I will admit to having a bad attitude...this choke-in-filter set up has always struck me as a bad idea.

That 024 saw...no longer mine. I don't think I would ever run one of those winter filters.

"This question should be answered by now. Do these simple threads actually go on forever?" Cpt Bruce: There is an unwatch button...help yourself.

I will eventually get this worked out. I will report back. Thanks, again.

Roy
There is just enough space to see the back of the filter looking in from the left side. If you find the tall black tank vent is blocking your view then pull it out, it gives a better view plane. For a quick test on fitment I often smear some grease on the solid part, in this case the carb flange and then fit the airfilter to it, tighten the nuts, then remove the filter and check for grease transfer. Same idea as using Prussian Blue but that stuff is messy and really only needed for very tight accurate fitments, the grease method is good for this airfilter fitment issue.

I was just thinking about Prussian blue! Yes...grease. I will try that.

I am also thinking of temporarily hot glue the choke flapper shut/sealed...to rule out flapper leakage.
Before resorting to gluing it try closing it manually with the filter off the saw in your hands and see if the flap actually lines up with the seat in the filter. If that is good then mount it on the saw and push the master control switch all the way down into the full choke position. Then use a small flat blade screwdriver like the tuning screwdriver, try inserting it between the master control lever and the toggle on the airfilter, if it will slide in rather easily it means the choke flap is not reaching full closed. I have needed to shim quite a number of the 026`s to get the choke to close completely, somewhere between 1/16 up to near 1/8" on a few of them. I just glue the appropriate thickness shim to the master control, it would likely work just as well glued to the filter but I cycle filters between flocked , mesh and felt to suit the weather conditions here.

I have needed to shim quite a number of the 026`s to get the choke to close completely, somewhere between 1/16 up to near 1/8" on a few of them. I just glue the appropriate thickness shim to the master control, it would likely work just as well glued to the filter but I cycle filters between flocked , mesh and felt to suit the weather conditions here.
Update.

I tried black grease, and it looked like filter fit was OK. Then, realized I could look at fit with only the front 1/2 of filter mounted...that looked good, too.

Then, I hot glued the flapper closed and totally sealed. Saw would not run. That is good as it eliminates filter fit and any odd suck-air-thru-some-carb-part.

Then, removed that glue . Next, I glued the filter lever in the choke position. The saw would not run.

So, that means Pioneerguy is right with his suggestion of looking onto the master control/filter lever deal. I will report back.

Back