Early 026 air filters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update.

I tried black grease, and it looked like filter fit was OK. Then, realized I could look at fit with only the front 1/2 of filter mounted...that looked good, too.

Then, I hot glued the flapper closed and totally sealed. Saw would not run. That is good as it eliminates filter fit and any odd suck-air-thru-some-carb-part.

Then, removed that glue . Next, I glued the filter lever in the choke position. The saw would not run.

So, that means Pioneerguy is right with his suggestion of looking onto the master control/filter lever deal. I will report back.
You are making good headway, keep at it and you will figure it out, does sound like the levers now are the problem.

I have needed to shim quite a number of the 026`s to get the choke to close completely, somewhere between 1/16 up to near 1/8" on a few of them. I just glue the appropriate thickness shim to the master control, it would likely work just as well glued to the filter but I cycle filters between flocked , mesh and felt to suit the weather conditions here.
What is the material of the shim stock you've used? And, what glue?

What is the material of the shim stock you've used? And, what glue?
I have used whatever was around, plastic covers off margarine containers, pieces out of the side of a 5 gallon plastic bucket etc. I have lots of PVC plumbing grade glue both grey and clear, either one that was in reach , just a dab on each mating side and let it sit a hour or so. A clothes pin has come in handy as a clamp, other times I just install the filter and gently push the Master Control down into choke position, that clamps it.

I have used whatever was around, plastic covers off margarine containers, pieces out of the side of a 5 gallon plastic bucket etc. I have lots of PVC plumbing grade glue both grey and clear, either one that was in reach , just a dab on each mating side and let it sit a hour or so. A clothes pin has come in handy as a clamp, other times I just install the filter and gently push the Master Control down into choke position, that clamps it.
OK. Just to wrap this thread up.

I used a couple layers of yogurt-lid shim stock and gel Crazy Glue. Clamped with hemostats.

The shims worked as intended. They did not really solve my particular problem...they did allow me to realize I have serious slop in the left-side boss which holds the control rod.

The saw now will not hold on choke...but, starts fine cold, with four pulls, on high-idle.

I don't know what I'll do next. Might just live with it...but, I do like my stuff to function as designed.

Thanks, everyone, for the help.

Roy

Good info feedback. The shim needs to be the correct thickness which is a bit tedious to determine to get it just right. I use a slot screwdriver as it is tapered and just slide it in between the levers until I feel the choke flap close, mark the screwdriver and remove it, measure the thickness at that point and that`s what the shim needs to be. The master control will still function correctly if the shim thickness is correct.

Good info feedback. The shim needs to be the correct thickness which is a bit tedious to determine to get it just right. I use a slot screwdriver as it is tapered and just slide it in between the levers until I feel the choke flap close, mark the screwdriver and remove it, measure the thickness at that point and that`s what the shim needs to be. The master control will still function correctly if the shim thickness is correct.
Sounds like good old Nova Scotia innovation Gerry!

The shims worked as intended. They did not really solve my particular problem...they did allow me to realize I have serious slop in the left-side boss which holds the control rod.

The saw now will not hold on choke...but, starts fine cold, with four pulls, on high-idle.

I don't know what I'll do next. Might just live with it...but, I do like my stuff to function as designed.
If the choke issue is the stop switch spring... these can be removed and tightened somewhat until it holds like it is supposed to. Had to do that on a couple of saws where the P.O. may have tried adjustments without removing the spring.

Back