Early 036 cylinder and carb questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vienster

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I just got an early 036 and it has mahle cylinder part number 1125 020 1206. Apparently there were two different cylinders offered mine without the compression release that may have desirable porting and this part number 1125 020 1206, the listing on ebay says kolben. Could I use either part number if I ever need a p&c? The piston is scored below the rings on the skirt, there was no aluminum transfer to the cylinder or scoring and no scoring on or above the rings. The pic looks worse than it is. I don't know if I should change the piston or just run it? I deleted the base gasket, opened up the muffler and port matched the exhaust before I even ran it. Compression was 165 after the delete. I don't know if it matters how many pulls it took to get it there though?

I just bought the items I was missing so I can learn how to port by practicing on this cylinder or a junk one and a pressure tester adapter. I'd imagine I can find numbers to go with on here that are tried and true. The only porting thread I read so far had someone widening their exhaust port. Strange thing is I measured mine and mine was already as wide as the number they were trying to achieve by porting. I thought someone ported my saw, but you can tell it's untouched. I've only ever opened up transfers and an exhaust port on an xpw cylinder so i've got a lot to learn. I will read the book(s) everyone suggests.

I still can't believe the bearing on the PTO side is shielded on this saw. I never expected to see this and wouldn't have believed it had I not seen it.

Attachments

• 20210112_184848.jpg
    20210112_184848.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
  • COSZ5779.JPG
    COSZ5779.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0499.JPG
    IMG_0499.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
  • RJUU6844.JPG
    RJUU6844.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 15
  • 20210112_185341.jpg
    20210112_185341.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 17
Is there any way to upgrade the damn vent so it doesn't leak without replacing the tank? I replaced it with an oem part and it still leaks when taking the bar off.

How interchangeable are carbs on this model? Mine has the carb&filter without the extra hole for the carb. Carb number. I don't know if i'd have to upgrade the carb after porting. I know that an 044/46 boot would fit. It has a larger ID, but it doesn't have the hole for the impulse hose. I ordered two oem intake boots and received one for the 044/46 so I was able to compare the two. Tuning the H needle on this saw is as touchy as the rwj4b I ended up putting on my 372. The carb says C3AS39

Latest posts

Back