Easy start recoils

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old2stroke

Never too many toys
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Does anyone like these things? I'm talking about the starters that have an extra spring between the rope drum and the starter teeth. My understanding is you run the risk of damaging these starters if you drop start them and you are supposed to just pull the rope slowly until the spring winds up enough to kick the piston through compression, which means you get only one revolution per pull. Seems to work really well when the engine is warm and starts on first pull but if you are trying to start a cold saw without a primer bulb and the saw has been out of service for awhile, these one-revolution-per-pull starters seems to take forever to get the saw going as compared to normal drop starting where you can really get the engine turning over a number of revs with each pull. Hopefully, these starters will only be used on small saws and the bigger ones will stick with compression release valves.

Just something to get use to. Different. I see good and bad things about them. My 6100 Smurf has it.

Id rather not have them as i find it is not any easier.

Will these things even work ok if the saw gets ported? Its quite a bit harder to pull start a ported saw and if that “easy start” spring is not very strong will it even work?

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

My aunt has spaghetti arms and she bought a trimmer with it and it works good for her. She could never pull start anything because she would always pull too slow

Good point. They definitely have value to some people

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

They are great till they (inevitably) break. My neighbor just picked up a "non running" ms250. The easy start was broken. I have a normal stater on order for it. Cant find anything else wrong with it atm. At $50.00 hes way ahead of the game, and plenty str8ng enough to pull it over.

Just an example of companies being everything to everyone.
The way I see it, if you cant start the tool, maybe you shouldn't be holding 1.5 plus
horsepower in your hands.
They are getting better. First generation was poor. The rope would extend completely
before activation. Now, its about 1/2 way out. They still need improvement from there.

The easystart on my Dolmar 420 is superlative. Unbelievable, really.

The easystart on my Dolmar 5105 is not. But it's close once you adjust your starting technique.

They should be outlawed. Neighbor got a pretty bad cut from one. You pull the recoil and it starts later. I had one and I bought a new flywheel and recoil and replace. I don't see it being easier either. Between them and the tool less chain tightener I would not want.

The biggest problem is switching back and forth from a regular to the easy start. There is a learning/remembering curve involved. It's easy to forget the easy start procedure. My neighbor broke the one on his Stihl leaf blower twice.

Back