Ebay help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony Snyder

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I could use some help on using ebay. I noticed a post on this forum where someone had seen over 500 chainsaws listed for sale on ebay. I went there and only found a very few Poulans. I was wanting learn what certain used saws are bringing. Do they typically have a lot of saws for sale on there?

I may not be searching in the best way. Can someone enlighten me on that?

2nd question: I went to the woodtick site and signed up, but I cannot get in. I guess I am not smart enough for that either.

E-bay help

You'll find most items on e-bay by searching by specific keywords, not by browsing catagories. When you get to the e-bay home page you'll see a "search" window, type the word "chainsaw" in there and make sure to click on the little box that says "search in all of e-bay". You'll get so many saws it'll male you puke. If you go to "advanced search" you can tell e-bay to ignore certain words and reduce the number of hits you get. When you search "chainsaw" you'll get hits about the "texas chainsaw massacre", "chainsaw hookers" "chainsaw carvings" etc. After you have searched "chainsaw" then search "chain saw" you'lll get hits you didn't get before. I generally do make such a broad search, I look at "stihl" then "homelite" then "Jonsered" then If I have time I'll look at "chainsaw -(stihl, husky, homelite, texas, carving, jonsered). The things in parentheses () are to be ignored (don't type them like this advanced search will fill in the search for you. Also register so when you make a complex custom search you can save it by clicking on "save this search" on the bottom of the page. I've been an e-bay addict for 3 yaers and still haven't figured it all out, some is trial and error. Have fun, Paulie

When you get search results, on the left of the screen it will show the categories the results were found in. Click on the categories that have real saws in them, Texas C.S. massacre movie takes up about a thousand hits.

As long as you are going to look on Ebay I will give you some hints on what I found some of the terms mean:
" This saw was Grandpa's favorite" means, We haven't been able to get it running since he died 7 years ago and now parts aren't even available.
"You will have to adjust the carburetor for your area" means, It won't stay running no matter how we fool with the adjustment screws.
"Checked over by a qualified mechanic" means, Cousin Cooter is the best danged mechanic in the clan and he got it running after three days and said "get rid of it!"
" It's a Stihl and you know how much every screw is worth" means, Good thing the screws are worth something because that's all that is good on this junker.
"Comes without a bar, chain or handlebar and may have some stripped bolts" means, Bubba backed over it with the loader and pieces just flew in every direction.
Well you get the idea. Some of the other members of this forum may have similar definitions. :p Mike

Three times a day I search newly listed eBay auctions for everything I'm looking for. My game is trying to snag stuff with a low "Buy it Now" as soon as it's started. The search for chainsaws I use is usually "chainsaw -new -texas". That gets rid of the Poulans and the videos. I also search for "saw" on its own, so a separate search for chain saw isn't needed.

A few more definitions:

"I just found this saw, but the started cord's broken off so I can't test it" means, "the piston liquefied and ran out the muffler. The guy at the repair shop says it's a write off so I cut off the cord and put it up on eBay." (actually bought two like that)

"Rare, valuable saw. Needs some tuning to start" means "I think it's a chainsaw, but I'm not sure 'cause I've never seen one before. I wonder what this hole is in the crankcase."

"Super huge competition saw!" means "golly, it's a lot bigger than my Craftsman 1.9". :)

You best bet is finding saws that the owner is selling for parts because it won't start after sitting. That usually only means a carb kit.

Actually I try and look for those saws that sound a little fishy in description. The guy that had my P50 said it was 2.5 cu in but its really 5.0! It was very ugly but its in perfect shape. I have a Homelite EZ1 they said it was locked up so I got it for$6.00! When I got it it was running the same day!! Alot of peple don't know what theye selling but I do:D

Ebay can be very competitive when your buying saws. Watch out and don't get in a bidding war. I never bid till a minute or two before the end. That usually guarantees me the win I'm suprised not too many other people use this strategy.

EBAY SECRET... Ebay Secret... ebay secret

snydert, I know that I can't be the only one that knows this. Maybe everyone else is afraid to let on to it. I have bought many items at dirt cheap prices because of it. The secret is hidden in my post! That's all I am going to say. If you can't figure it out, I'll give you another hint later! :eek:
I have other secrets too!

Flatfiler, I'm on to you

I've bought a few "sthils" a "johnsered" and seen a few "huskavarnas" . Searching for mis-spelled items leads to bargains! I haven't notice e-bay to be case sensative though.

Yep alot more helpful. I see so many new bidders running up the prices on there. Its not like a real live auction you don't need to be the high bidder at all times.

Ebay Cracks and Crevices Cont.

sedanman Your right! Many a good deal comes from other peoples misspelling. I have also found that looking "where you would least expect" is another good idea. For instance.... A week ago I bought a 064 Stihl on ebay, for half of what it's worth, or at least half of what I would expect to pay for a used saw around here. My intentions were to resell it for a small profit, but when I put the bar back on and fired it up..... Oh Baby!!!! This thing is in as good or better shape than my own saw. Guess I'll just have to keep her! Anyways... the guy just listed it in the wrong category and the auction counter never even made it to the double digits. No one even SAW it! (pardon the pun)I have found chainsaws in at least five or six different places on Ebay. So... do what I do, Look for the hidden little crevices that people lose their items in and Bid Till Yer Broke! FLATFILER :D

be very carefull on e-bay. i may have just got bit. "good running condition". the best this saw ran lately is when UPS ran it from oregon to new york. should have know better, three pictures of the same side of the saw. the other side was condemned. the seller said he will take care of my problems. we'll see!
protect yourselves; marty

You forgot a couple:

"Untested" - That means someone's been trying to get this saw started for days but just can't get it to run.

"As Is" - This saw has major problems but I'll never fess up as to what they are.

Originally posted by rupedoggy
As long as you are going to look on Ebay I will give you some hints on what I found some of the terms mean:
" This saw was Grandpa's favorite" means, We haven't been able to get it running since he died 7 years ago and now parts aren't even available.
"You will have to adjust the carburetor for your area" means, It won't stay running no matter how we fool with the adjustment screws.
"Checked over by a qualified mechanic" means, Cousin Cooter is the best danged mechanic in the clan and he got it running after three days and said "get rid of it!"
" It's a Stihl and you know how much every screw is worth" means, Good thing the screws are worth something because that's all that is good on this junker.
"Comes without a bar, chain or handlebar and may have some stripped bolts" means, Bubba backed over it with the loader and pieces just flew in every direction.
Well you get the idea. Some of the other members of this forum may have similar definitions. :p Mike

Hi There, I recently got a good deal on a saw that was mislisted by the seller for 19.95 U.S. It turned out it was a Canadian saw with the beefed up added features etc.
The seller who is located in Arkansas, said he couldnt get it running, nor knew which make it was.
As it turned out the saw will blast thru a 3.5" Western Red in 5.2- one up, two down.

Thanks for the tips on Ebay guys. All I gotta say is buyer beware!
I've talked to a lot of people that got so ripped off on Ebay.

On Ebay, you must know what you are looking at. I have found many deals for sure and go thru fits and starts with selling and buying. Pal Pal works good to send and receive money for a quick turnaround. Oh ya, Eric (Rick), ya big Gallute, I used your address to have an Ebay seller send me some Oregon Roller Nose sprockets, cause she didnt want to deal with us Canucks, so send them on up ya creep or I will come down there and buck the legs off all your furniture.
John

Latest posts

Back