Echo 290EVL

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatsfisher

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
this saw runs well, but rev it a few times and the chain gets too tight. I re-adjust it and it just happens again, over and over. I looked at the tightening mechanism and don't see anything wrong. any ideas?
PXL_20221225_182906814.jpgPXL_20221225_182935854.jpg

I tried to remove the nut holding the spur sprocket on and its very tight. afraid of twisting the end of the crank off as it's so small. anyone know if this is reverse thread? tried both ways but didn't put too much torque into it.

I tried to remove the nut holding the spur sprocket on and its very tight. afraid of twisting the end of the crank off as it's so small. anyone know if this is reverse thread? tried both ways but didn't put too much torque into it.
Left hand threads. Check your inbox for the service manual. Page 19 shows it.

I'll see if I can find a new spur sprocket and give it a try. will report back when I get it. according to the service manual Ray sent me, the nut is left hand. thanks everyone.

well, it started right up after sitting for 5 months (and I was told it sat for a long time before I got it), idles nicely and is a runner. but yes, it has a problem. not sure if it's the sprocket, had saws with worse wear not do this. I did take the chain adjusting screw out and it was bent quite a bit. I tapped it straight but found a new one on ebay for 8 bucks and a new tensioner for 4 bucks. probably not them either. oils well but leaves some in the case. another member told me to change the O rings on the oiler adjusting screw. no oil in the carb compartment where the oil adjusting screw is though.

well, it started right up after sitting for 5 months (and I was told it sat for a long time before I got it), idles nicely and is a runner. but yes, it has a problem. not sure if it's the sprocket, had saws with worse wear not do this. I did take the chain adjusting screw out and it was bent quite a bit. I tapped it straight but found a new one on ebay for 8 bucks and a new tensioner for 4 bucks. probably not them either. oils well but leaves some in the case. another member told me to change the O rings on the oiler adjusting screw. no oil in the carb compartment where the oil adjusting screw is though.
I agree, I've had ones that looked worse as well. Dont know why they may not tighten back like yours is doing because of differences in the chain. Your chain may be more or less stretched than on another saw with wear on the sprocket. One picture with my not great eyes does show some pretty deep grooves.
I hope a new one fixes the issue. I like my CS-500VL a lot. Something about this series just feels like it is made better. I have no idea if the previous owner really ran the chain backwards but he was a building contractor and his workers used the saws when needed one.

CS500VL 17.jpegCS500VL 8.jpeg

Nice
This probably seems crazy but I was wondering if the bent adjustment screw had anything to do with the tightening issue at all. If you put the old one back in and tested to isolate problem to the worn spur.

not crazy but of course I installed all 3 parts at the same time. I had straightened out the old screw pretty well before I ordered these parts and it didn't fix the problem. the tensioner pin did not look worn when I compared it to the new one. I've had worse looking wear on sprockets on other saws and didn't have this problem, but if I had to choose, I would guess it was the sprocket of the 3.

I need to cut some wood to be absolutely sure it's fixed but before the chain got really tight in just a couple revs and yesterday, I ran it and revved it a bunch and it stayed perfectly adjusted.

found a later version of the 290EVL this afternoon on marketplace for 30 bucks. guy said it didn't run but it does, though not happily yet. he also said the primer bulb was bad and it works fine. everything looks good thru the exhaust port. fuel and oil tanks are super clean. bar and chain look pretty new. chain brake clicks in and out but isn't locking the clutch. complete with cat muffler :rolleyes:. I didn't know that some Echo saws were assembled in USA.
PXL_20230619_234311292.jpgPXL_20230619_231822066.jpgPXL_20230619_234355687.jpgPXL_20230619_234522443.jpgPXL_20230619_234319483.jpg

I have a CS-306 as well. Very good saws for the price you typically find them. I find the CS-300 to CS-346 series of saws always run well when I pick them up on marketplace. My dad has been running the same CS-301 for over 20 years

Back