Echo 7310, Makita 79xx, Saw upgrade experience wanted

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As ws said Makita/ Dolmar saws are kaput. Along with J-red So that leaves Echo, Husky and Stilh. the 70cc class will get what you want done. In times gone by I would recommend the Makita/ Dolmar but that is a mute point now. I do not know much about Echo although I have a litte 35cc that I got used. It was ethanaoled to death. Other than that it runs ok for what it is. I would stick with Husky or Stilh just because there is always a dealer/ repair-service-parts fairly close to eveyone. Always considered Echo a Box store rig - ( no service or parts at those places). husky 395xp 70cc , 390xp 88cc, Stilh 440/1 461 660/1 echo7310. Husky / Stilh european design, Echo Japan . Never been impressed with Poulans.
Since this is arborist 101, from a (retired) pro perspective, dealer support support trumps brand. I always ran huskys or stihls, have run echos, and they are fine... but it always came down to the best dealer in the area. When I had a saw down, I needed a dealer that had the part in stock, or could get it next day. I never was in an area where echo had that kind of dealer support. When I was in Texas, it was always stihl. When I went up to Alaska I switched to Husky because the local stihl dealer sucked.

As ws said Makita/ Dolmar saws are kaput. Along with J-red So that leaves Echo, Husky and Stilh. the 70cc class will get what you want done. In times gone by I would recommend the Makita/ Dolmar but that is a mute point now. I do not know much about Echo although I have a litte 35cc that I got used. It was ethanaoled to death. Other than that it runs ok for what it is. I would stick with Husky or Stilh just because there is always a dealer/ repair-service-parts fairly close to eveyone. Always considered Echo a Box store rig - ( no service or parts at those places). husky 395xp 70cc , 390xp 88cc, Stilh 440/1 461 660/1 echo7310. Husky / Stilh european design, Echo Japan . Never been impressed with Poulans.
Since this is arborist 101, from a (retired) pro perspective, dealer support support trumps brand. I always ran huskys or stihls, have run echos, and they are fine... but it always came down to the best dealer in the area. When I had a saw down, I needed a dealer that had the part in stock, or could get it next day. I never was in an area where echo had that kind of dealer support. When I was in Texas, it was always stihl. When I went up to Alaska I switched to Husky because the local stihl dealer sucked.

I've never found a dealer that offered good service or had a good parts supply that was near me(within 30 min). So I just make sure I have backup saws, and many times backups to those along with spare parts here at the house.
Most dealers I've dealt with aren't worth much when it comes to keeping things running/service, that's one of the reasons I prefer to run saws I can order parts for.

Dealer actually did play a role in this one for me. I'd been looking at Stihl's mostly because they have the most dealers in the area, but man all of them were not helpful and didn't really want to look for any larger pro models. Found a Husky dealer, had a bunch of pro saws and was very informative. Having the dealer in the area helped seal it for me, though I wouldn't have minded getting a larger model looking back. Oh well, I'll size up on the next one 😅

Dealer actually did play a role in this one for me. I'd been looking at Stihl's mostly because they have the most dealers in the area, but man all of them were not helpful and didn't really want to look for any larger pro models. Found a Husky dealer, had a bunch of pro saws and was very informative. Having the dealer in the area helped seal it for me, though I wouldn't have minded getting a larger model looking back. Oh well, I'll size up on the next one 😅
Did you get some run time on it yet.

I've never found a dealer that offered good service or had a good parts supply that was near me(within 30
Most dealers I've dealt with aren't worth much when it comes to keeping things running/service, that's one of the reasons I prefer to run saws I can order parts for.
Naw...

Latest posts

Back