Echo Battery powered saw chain question.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Retired Mulcher

Reaction score
Hi all, new to this forum. I have an Echo CCS-58V4 chainsaw. I really like the power head and find the saw very useful for quick pruning cutting. My issue with the unit is how easily the chain derails from the bar. It is a 16" bar with 56 link .043 gauge 3/8 chain, and when it comes off, the saw head has enough power to mess up several of the drive links as it comes to a stop. I end up having to file them down to fit the bar groove again.
I have never had a .043 saw chain before, and am wondering if that is the reason for the ease of jumping out of the groove. I've never had this issue with any saws I've run from tiny homelites to bigger husky units.
Would I be able to get another bar and chain that would fit the drive sprocket, but have better chain retention in the groove? Would love to have this saw be more user friendly. Any suggestions?

A .043 chain derails easily - especially at more than 12"-14", you need to be careful watching the chain tension as it gets warmed up.
If you go .050 like the Stihl Super Picco full chiesel that will all change, but you will loose some performance and smoothness.
I would suggest get a shorter bar and chain at .043 if you dont really need a 16" bar.
It dont need to Echo; Dolmar or Makita or Husky would probably suit... I use a Makita 10" .043 with a Oregon 90PX040XMA chain on my Echo 280.
I could easily fell a 20" pole with it...

A .043 chain derails easily - especially at more than 12"-14", you need to be careful watching the chain tension as it gets warmed up.
If you go .050 like the Stihl Super Picco full chiesel that will all change, but you will loose some performance and smoothness.
I would suggest get a shorter bar and chain at .043 if you dont really need a 16" bar.
Well, I had not considered that. I just work on brush with this saw, so a 10" or `12" bar would be plenty. Thanks so much for that suggestion!

If you cut with the top of the bar the chain will be in tension going around the nose.

Stihl chain in that class (61pmm3) is a bit more robust not sure if it would make any difference for you but that is all that I use in that size.

The curvature or lack there of might have a bearing. And yes the 0.050 gauge in that pitch (3/8lp or 3/8 picco) will fit your drive sprocket.

Back