Echo Chainsaw Horsepower Data Needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They make great saws at a fair price. I would be hard pressed not to look at them of I needed a mid sized saw in the near future. My experience (albeit limited) I can't say I would have rather ran an echo over a saw I already have. But by no means would I not take one if handed one.

i would just take published numbers from stihl/husky and subtract 5%. that will get you close to the echo HP numbers....some saws(CS-400 are more like 15%) and some(CS-355) are almost equal.

i ran timed test cuts on the 620, 6100, 362, 2260(562) and from the fastest to the slowest it was around 2 seconds difference with the same chain on all so reality is yes...620 is down on power compared to the 362 or 562 but my 2260 only lasted a week before it was up for sale and the 620 is still hanging around after 3 or 4 years and got 10x the fuel put thru it as the 6100. comfort and ability to lean on them far outweighs outright cutting performance on a stopwatch for me. i worry very very little what paper specs say...620 is the heaviest 60cc saw and 2260 is the lightest but that 2260 wore me out in just a couple hours of cutting vs the 620 i was good to go for most of the day

i would just take published numbers from stihl/husky and subtract 5%. that will get you close to the echo HP numbers....some saws(CS-400 are more like 15%) and some(CS-355) are almost equal.

i ran timed test cuts on the 620, 6100, 362, 2260(562) and from the fastest to the slowest it was around 2 seconds difference with the same chain on all so reality is yes...620 is down on power compared to the 362 or 562 but my 2260 only lasted a week before it was up for sale and the 620 is still hanging around after 3 or 4 years and got 10x the fuel put thru it as the 6100. comfort and ability to lean on them far outweighs outright cutting performance on a stopwatch for me. i worry very very little what paper specs say...620 is the heaviest 60cc saw and 2260 is the lightest but that 2260 wore me out in just a couple hours of cutting vs the 620 i was good to go for most of the day
I've noticed that also, yes the 620 is heavier but for some reason it doesn't handle like a heavy saw. It's fun to cut with and is easy on fuel.

Don't you sell Echos?

I still love some echos, couple local outfits have left stihl and husky in the past year after spending many thousands on new latest greatest saws and they didn't hold up.

Most recent is a ms461, 201T, 565xp setup going to a 7310p, 2511t, 590p setup. So far they are extremely satisfied, not only with price, but the saws themselves function great. That 2511T, with just 10 minutes removing limiters and drilling the muffler..its a no weight screamer of a 1 hand saw.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

yes...currently selling echo and makita and sold jred a few years ago until they gutted the brand
Thanks - what do you mean by gutted Jred? Are they now made by Zenoah? I head the 2171 is still Swedish.
Cheers.

Oh and do you know anything about Dolmar's future after Makita pulls pin on petroleum products?

Any hp numbers you see on the echo saws is from epa testing. Echo does not publish their own up numbers. They just go along with what the epa/emissions numbers say.

From what I have seen some saws are close to the published numbers. And others are a bit above the published numbers on my dyno.

Same applies for stihl/husky.

Thanks - what do you mean by gutted Jred? Are they now made by Zenoah? I head the 2171 is still Swedish.
Cheers.

Oh and do you know anything about Dolmar's future after Makita pulls pin on petroleum products?
jred is gone except for like 4 models of homeowner saws. they gave everything back to redmax and now from my understanding redmax is on the way out with saws

no idea on makita. they seem to think battery power is going to rule the world in a few years. while i love the battery powered chainsaw its city homeowner at best just because of the very low battery life

"while i love the battery powered chainsaw its city homeowner at best just because of the very low battery life"

Same deal with these battery powered cars/trucks they are trying to push on us. Fine and dandy for little spurts around town. I like to see how many batteries are required in a Chevy 3500 truck to pull my 36' toy hauler from here to Colorado for Elk hunting next month? I would doubt I'd make it 100 miles if they filled the entire bed with extra batteries. Then when they required recharging I'd be stuck at a truck stop or Walmart for 8-10 hours! Unless they know something about batteries that I don't, were are a LONG ways from that deal......IMHO.....

"while i love the battery powered chainsaw its city homeowner at best just because of the very low battery life"

Same deal with these battery powered cars/trucks they are trying to push on us. Fine and dandy for little spurts around town. I like to see how many batteries are required in a Chevy 3500 truck to pull my 36' toy hauler from here to Colorado for Elk hunting next month? I would doubt I'd make it 100 miles if they filled the entire bed with extra batteries. Then when they required recharging I'd be stuck at a truck stop or Walmart for 8-10 hours! Unless they know something about batteries that I don't, were are a LONG ways from that deal......IMHO.....
Bingo!!!!

@Cliff R i do seriously love the makita battery saw....so much so that i own 2 of them and they get used every week but they arent serious tools. a wheel barrow of wood is just a trim job. Cars arent any better, i keep up on the battery cars because they interest me....the performance is amazing....would i ever own one...absolutely not. first off....I'm with ya on the whole....how far would i get pulling this 20k trailer before having to stop and charge up....second thing is....i couldnt afford to charge one.....we pay $300+ a month for electric for our little house and everything that can be gas is gas(range, furnace, water heater, dryer) because of the free gas we get.

We are off topic here but I would like to clarify. There is a C rating to the cells in the battery. 1 c is it can fully recharge in an hour, 3 c is it can recharge in one third of an hour. Like the 5 amp hour batteries that come with the Makita chainsaws they can recharge from 0 to 100% in about 50 minutes with air blowing through them. The same basically holds true with cars or motorcycles or heavy vehicles. There is level one, plug into a 15 amp 120 volt outlet, level 2 which basically attaches 240 volt ac to your on board charger. those are limited by the amps of ac and the capacity of the on board charger. Then there is level 3 often called dc fast charging the charger is basically not on the vehicle and if you find a charger with high enough output and you arrive with a cool enough battery and have sufficient on board cooling 50 minutes could be on the long end. Going 20% to 80% is significantly less time. How much your card gets charged is another matter as is if there is really any place to charge without dropping the trailer, and the charger works for you and your vehicle and card. If you have a Tesla things are a bit different their chargers can identify your vehicle and bill you per whatever agreement you have at the time.

Does the Echo battery chainsaw blow air through the battery? That can come into play using these things.

Echo has a few "home-runs" in their line-up, a few that are just "OK" and a few "turds" as well. I've not ran some of the newer models on your list, like the 4510, 4910 and 7310 so can't comment there.

Pound for pound a CS-510 is difficult to beat in the 49-50cc range and don't be fooled by it being a "clamshell" design, those are very strong runners and dead solid reliable in long term service.

All of the reed-valve top and rear handle saws are pretty much "turds", but decent grunt and pretty reliable.

The CS-355T is a really nice unit.

The CS-370/400's are excellent mid-range saws with plenty of '"grunt" for the cc's, and also very well built and rock solid in long term service. My CS-370's are my "go-to" saws here for small jobs around the properties.

The CS-670's are just OK, the CS-800 is far from a "professional" model. I guess they have decent potential "ported" but in stock form lackluster for upper mid-range and top end power. If you own a Husqvarna 268XP/272XP/372XP you'll NEVER find yourself reaching for either of the Echo's.

The CS-590, 600P and 620P's are excellent. They have a broad/smooth/flat power curve and pull hard at higher RPM's combined with plenty of "grunt". This allows them to manage larger bars with decent authority for 60cc saws. They will also not clog up so you can cross-cut/noodle large pieces into smaller ones to manage them to the splitter. Below are pics of a HUGE Maple and Beach tree that I whittled down to size with my CS-590, making dozens of cross-cuts to get the huge pieces manageable.....it never grumbled once..........Cliff
View attachment 930621View attachment 930622
What kind of tree is that monster one by your splitter. Is it a type of birch??? +1 for the echo👍

Here is what I have so far on the Echo gas saw power outputs. Can anyone fill in the gaps or comment on anything that might be way off
ModelPower hpPower kw
CS-2511T1.10
CS-2511P1.10
CS-271T
CS-303T1.04
CS-355T
CS-361P
CS-3101.10
CS-35101.50
CS-400
CS-45102.30
CS-4910
CS-501P2.57
CS-5903.5
CS-620P/PW4.53.90
CS-6803.46
CS-7310P/PW5.54.10
CS-3521.50

In my findings and use the 620 pulled harder... But again just my experience. I've had both for a while and always gravitate towards the 620. It's a sweet 60cc saw, built better than the husky IMO. NOT saying the 562 isn't built well by any means. But out of all my saws (though not many) if I had to keep only one it would be the 620 probably...
My CS620PW pulls a 27" buried without a hiccup, too. Gobs of torque for a 4.5 HP saw.

Go by the way they cut not publishes hp numbers, some are way off. Steve

They’re hiding their comparatively low numbers.

Echo has a few "home-runs" in their line-up, a few that are just "OK" and a few "turds" as well. I've not ran some of the newer models on your list, like the 4510, 4910 and 7310 so can't comment there.

Pound for pound a CS-510 is difficult to beat in the 49-50cc range and don't be fooled by it being a "clamshell" design, those are very strong runners and dead solid reliable in long term service.

All of the reed-valve top and rear handle saws are pretty much "turds", but decent grunt and pretty reliable.

The CS-355T is a really nice unit.

The CS-370/400's are excellent mid-range saws with plenty of '"grunt" for the cc's, and also very well built and rock solid in long term service. My CS-370's are my "go-to" saws here for small jobs around the properties.

The CS-670's are just OK, the CS-800 is far from a "professional" model. I guess they have decent potential "ported" but in stock form lackluster for upper mid-range and top end power. If you own a Husqvarna 268XP/272XP/372XP you'll NEVER find yourself reaching for either of the Echo's.

The CS-590, 600P and 620P's are excellent. They have a broad/smooth/flat power curve and pull hard at higher RPM's combined with plenty of "grunt". This allows them to manage larger bars with decent authority for 60cc saws. They will also not clog up so you can cross-cut/noodle large pieces into smaller ones to manage them to the splitter. Below are pics of a HUGE Maple and Beach tree that I whittled down to size with my CS-590, making dozens of cross-cuts to get the huge pieces manageable.....it never grumbled once..........Cliff
View attachment 930621View attachment 930622
Their "homeruns" are their newer "X series" that are definitely professional quality. Echo has stepped up their game and even the 590, which is a detuned 620 comes in at $400. Of course there's a lot of ups on the 620 that makes it a more powerful and durable saw well worth the $619 with full wrap, 27" bar, more magnesium, better carb and more power, even though it's the same jug and piston. Using one is the only way to know, period.

Their "homeruns" are their newer "X series" that are definitely professional quality. Echo has stepped up their game and even the 590, which is a detuned 620 comes in at $400. Of course there's a lot of ups on the 620 that makes it a more powerful and durable saw well worth the $619 with full wrap, 27" bar, more magnesium, better carb and more power, even though it's the same jug and piston. Using one is the only way to know, period.
Not the same jug and piston.

Back