Echo chainsaw idle woes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kmacht

Reaction score
Hi. I have been using an Echo Cs-590 for a few years to slowly turn woods into pasture and love the saw. My wife is starting to help out more but the 590 is just too heavy of a saw for her. I bought a used CS-310 for her. It never seemed to have the power it should so I rebuilt the carb, replaced the fuel lines and filter, new air filter, spark plug, etc. It now has the power it should but I cant get the thing to idle consistantly. Without touching the idle screw sometimes after making a cut it keeps running so fast that the chain is spinning and other times it idles down so much it just cuts off. I tried adjusting the low speed idle jet starting at 1 turn out and ended up about 3.5 turns before it didn't bog down when pulling the throttle. The high speed jet is about 1 turn out and just starts to 4 stroke on the cut. I tried the idle screw but since the idle speed keeps fluctuating between cuts it is impossie to set. Any ideas? Im aboit ready to get rid of it and just buy a different saw.

If it started running erratically after you rebuilt and replaced things, the assumption would be your rebuild did not go well. Sounds as if there may be a problem with the carburetor. An air leak, bad gasket seal, etc. You can get a brand new carb for under $30, lots cheaper than a new saw.

I have a new carb coming next week but have a need for the saw this weekend. The saw runs great other than the inconsistant idle. I was hoping someone had similar issues and could point me where to look. I have rebuilt many carbs and im sure it went back together correctly as this isnt my first cab rebuild and these 2 stroke carbs are extremely simple.

I have a new carb coming next week but have a need for the saw this weekend. The saw runs great other than the inconsistant idle. I was hoping someone had similar issues and could point me where to look. I have rebuilt many carbs and im sure it went back together correctly as this isnt my first cab rebuild and these 2 stroke carbs are extremely simple.
Try starting with the idle screw just barely engaged on the lever

Then look up the initial carb settings you need to start their

Latest posts

Back