Echo CS-271T in the mail.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redlined_b16a

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm excited but not alot of info on it since everyone is focused on the new 2511T.
I bought the saw cause Hurricanes down trees all the time In my area.
I have an echo cs-400 I have been trying to murder for 13 or 14 years.Its a true soldier.
Bigger trees fell on the house,up to 40" diameter.Performed a muffler mod and retune while waiting for the CS-590 to arrive.My brother is disabled(damaged shoulder and neck) and I have to do tree work on a ladder.
I can handle both my saws with no issues.
Figured I'd order a lite weight saw for him and I to use.
The vids I do find are pretty impressive but I did not find much info on forums.
Anyone here own one or has had experience with the CS-271T?
What's the key problematic issues?
Best chain/bar combos.
I only plan to cut up to 6" limbs but mostly 1"-2'
Held a Sthil MS-194 at a local dealer and I know it's larger but I really liked it except it was $389 plus taxes and I'm kinda fond of Echos even though my CS-590 seems like too much of a China plastic feel compared to my older CS-400.....which is plastic but seems to be tougher/Thicker.

How's the little Echo working for you now that you've had it for a month?
I bought one new about 3 years ago. Over this time period I've fiddled and fiddled with it to get it cutting satisfactorily. Muffler mod and carb limiters removed, spark screen tossed.
Power has improved but remains lackluster. I also can use Stihl 200Ts and 020s for my climbing job, and modded several 2511Ts for an arborist friend. I also have a backup Husqvarna 335 XPT on the truck.
The mods on the 271 certainly "get it out of bed"" but don't necessarily "wake it up." Ha.
Carb adjustment is finicky. At times I've packed a small screwdriver up into the tree so I can be able to adjust the carb mixture while in the canopy. The saw is very easy to start when cold, but unpredictable when warmer. If it hangs from my saddle for 5 minutes, it may fire right up. I may have to hold the throttle wide open. If its been hanging for 10 minutes, it might want to be choked. Or maybe not.
I'm not a fan of the rev limiter when it's carb adjustment time.
Small diameter cuts are fine. Cuts approaching the 12" bar length are rather slow.
I practically demand that a saw start quickly and easily. When I was felling timber, I'd kill my H288s at the end of the day by choking. The next morning they invariably would start on the first pull. That brings a smile to your face for sure.

For what I do its working OK.
I use it just for limbs.

Needs felling spikes for sure to stop the blade bounce.
I'm on the 3rd tank of gas,been working alot so I hadn't used it much.I expected more power.My brother bought the Amazon Zenoah 2500 clone and it has just a IL more power but also has a less restricted muffler.
I'll chime in more as I use it.So far I like it's low fuel consumption and compactness

It took mine around 6 tanks before it woke up, At first it was fairly weak. But now it will cut 10" rounds like a champ.
I put the narrow kerf bar and chain on it. That helps a lot.

Figured I need to run the saw so today I cut 2 cord of wood.
3" up to 12" diameters
Saw is gaining power so I suspect it's breaking in well.
As long as I let the blade eat at its own pace it's plenty of power.
For my needs do far I'm happy.
Starts hot
Starts cold
No issues there.

I'm excited but not alot of info on it since everyone is focused on the new 2511T.
I bought the saw cause Hurricanes down trees all the time In my area.
I have an echo cs-400 I have been trying to murder for 13 or 14 years.Its a true soldier.
Bigger trees fell on the house,up to 40" diameter.Performed a muffler mod and retune while waiting for the CS-590 to arrive.My brother is disabled(damaged shoulder and neck) and I have to do tree work on a ladder.
I can handle both my saws with no issues.
Figured I'd order a lite weight saw for him and I to use.
The vids I do find are pretty impressive but I did not find much info on forums.
Anyone here own one or has had experience with the CS-271T?
What's the key problematic issues?
Best chain/bar combos.
I only plan to cut up to 6" limbs but mostly 1"-2'
Held a Sthil MS-194 at a local dealer and I know it's larger but I really liked it except it was $389 plus taxes and I'm kinda fond of Echos even though my CS-590 seems like too much of a China plastic feel compared to my older CS-400.....which is plastic but seems to be tougher/Thicker.
My Echo’s in working condition include a CS-5000, CS-8800 and a CS-340. My newest saw acquired in 2019 is a DeWalt DCC620P 20V cordless with 12” bar and two batteries can keep me going 4-5 hours of work. It has performed well, been great to be quiet and matches my lift basket work in tree service.

Its been awhile so here is a little update.
Anytime I need a saw.....even if a 60cc is required I grab the cs-271t so it can break in.

Cold start(not just cold days,the first start of the day) it seems to not like Choke and take about 10 pulls of the rope and has to idle for a minute before you can speed up without stalling.
Once brought to tempeture the lil saw amazes me.
Not a whole lot of power but if you just let the blade eat at its own pace it keeps pulling.Forcing it to eat more results in the lack of power presenting itself.
My favorite use for this saw since I'm not an aborist tree climber yet is limbing and cutting 10" or smaller diameter pieces.
Running 80/90wt oil just fine.a tank of fuel seems to last forever.
My brother has the Amazon $120 zenoha clone.Its alot more powerful and louder but the clutch slips when in a bind and burns up.
The CS-271T so far bogs and does not slip the clutch.Im hoping like my CS-590 once broke in the saw came to life out of nowhere.
A little more power would be great.Like most I want more power than I need.

How's the little Echo working for you now that you've had it for a month?
I bought one new about 3 years ago. Over this time period I've fiddled and fiddled with it to get it cutting satisfactorily. Muffler mod and carb limiters removed, spark screen tossed.
Power has improved but remains lackluster. I also can use Stihl 200Ts and 020s for my climbing job, and modded several 2511Ts for an arborist friend. I also have a backup Husqvarna 335 XPT on the truck.
The mods on the 271 certainly "get it out of bed"" but don't necessarily "wake it up." Ha.
Carb adjustment is finicky. At times I've packed a small screwdriver up into the tree so I can be able to adjust the carb mixture while in the canopy. The saw is very easy to start when cold, but unpredictable when warmer. If it hangs from my saddle for 5 minutes, it may fire right up. I may have to hold the throttle wide open. If its been hanging for 10 minutes, it might want to be choked. Or maybe not.
I'm not a fan of the rev limiter when it's carb adjustment time.
Small diameter cuts are fine. Cuts approaching the 12" bar length are rather slow.
I practically demand that a saw start quickly and easily. When I was felling timber, I'd kill my H288s at the end of the day by choking. The next morning they invariably would start on the first pull. That brings a smile to your face for sure.

Back