Echo CS-400 Just Sucks?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take your cs400 class saw.
Take the clutch cover assembly off.
Crank on the tensioner till it's bottomed out. Crank it some more.
This causes 2 forces against the tensioner assembly. Pushing on the screwdriver itself pushes the plastic bevel gear cage outward or at least makes it easier for it to move.
Turning the screwdriver against the stalled tensioner will cause force on the bevel gear that has no place to go. Because the flimsy steel backplate isn't strong enough, the gear cage slips inward out of place, causing misalignment of the gear teeth. With enough force (which isn't much due to the small size and the misalignment) the bevel gear teeth will break. Presto break-o.

If you have the clutch cover on, and the bar nuts finger tight, the gear cage is supported properly to prevent misalignment and it will take lots of cranking without an issue.

Of course I tightened my bar nuts. I realize it's fun to make fun of stupid people.
I don't feel like I need to explain that I tighten my bar nuts before using a saw.

It was fairly common for me to switch between chains and some were new and some were stretched out. I originally did damage to the gears adjusting the tensioner off the saw to get lined up for a big tensioner change. And it didn't take much force to do the damage. Friend just finished it off... The chain tossing was all rough use and poor tuning.

Guy's let me say Ryan is a good guy and if you ever need a lightbulb changed. He is your man. I never expected someone that goes by dutchman to be half a foot taller than I.

Ryan it was great to meet you and your dad. It's always nice to meet good people. Hope you have a Merry Christmas Sir.

P.s I'll keep my eyes out for more saws for you.

Steven

Yeah I'm almost 7 feet tall hahaha.

Steven it was really cool to meet you too. Don't make me out to look like Captain Canada here, you are the nice one taking the time to sell me some saws for a great price and help me do some Christmas shopping. I wish I could have stayed longer and helped you clean up more of those tops. Merry Christmas to you too!

Back