Echo CS 400 Mods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernMaverick

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So a little back story here. About 10 years ago my Dad bought a cs 400 to use cutting cedar / pine posts. He loved using the saw until a poplar went sideways and killed the saw with it. Fast forward to a couple months ago and I see one for sale for $90 and go look at it. It checks out nice, and since we have some good parts off the crushed saw I figure might as well own another twin saw. First off I wanted a new bar and chain for it, but didn't want the A041 mount bar. Checked around to see if a small mount husky would work, but couldn't get a definitive answer, so I swapped one off another saw, and it fit. Just needed to expand the tensioner hole slightly.
So here's the list of mods so far:
Changed the clutch drum from spur to rim drive. Using a .325 x 7t rim right now.

New Oregon Versa Cut .325 x 78dl 20" aluminum core bar. I like a longer bar for limbing, as I'm 6'3" and don't like to bend down all day.

Modified the muffler, removed the carb limiters, and re tuned it.
View attachment 954067View attachment 954068View attachment 954069View attachment 954070
Not going to rant on the cluttered, up screwed up, california muffler, as I've already done that in other threads, and you can look at the pics to see the difference. Just wanted to share my two cents for any one wanting to get a little more out of their saw. Everything was done without opening up / cutting open the muffler, and just using simple shop tools. ( drill, dremel, die grinder, air, etc.)
Really happy with how it turned out. View attachment 954071

Attachments

• 0106220033_HDR.jpg
    0106220033_HDR.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 27
  • 0105222227_HDR.jpg
    0105222227_HDR.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 31
  • 0105222226b_HDR.jpg
    0105222226b_HDR.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 27
  • 0105222226a_HDR.jpg
    0105222226a_HDR.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 29
  • 0105222226_HDR.jpg
    0105222226_HDR.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 27
I did basically the same with the muffler on my 280T, because if you split these mufflers you might never get them back together again.
I managed to grind away pretty much everything inside it through the exhaust port and I made an opening behind the outside baffle just like you did.
It actually made a significant weight reduction too, I have silver soldered (600*C) a brass plate over the opening I made.
I dont want to make a too big outlet, because opening up the inside area and the outlet some might make a power enhancement, but making the outlet excessive only adds to fuel consumption and noise. A light sanding, cleaning with acetone and a coat of hot-paint.
RIMG0002.JPG RIMG0005.JPG RIMG0013.JPG

NorthernMaverick, I just now spotted this informative thread of yours.
Two days ago I got my CS400 up and running with similar mods. I would like to change out the spur drive to a rim and drum. Would you please post the part numbers and the source for your conversion? I'm seeing EBay combos for CS400 EVL but not the simple CS400. I'm guessing they are different?

NorthernMaverick, I just now spotted this informative thread of yours.
Two days ago I got my CS400 up and running with similar mods. I would like to change out the spur drive to a rim and drum. Would you please post the part numbers and the source for your conversion? I'm seeing EBay combos for CS400 EVL but not the simple CS400. I'm guessing they are different?
Glad you liked the thread, sorry I'm late getting back to you. The Oregon Part # is 513442 for the drum. You do need a different needle bearing than the spur sprocket has, but I have no idea on a part number for that, hopefully you can find it as a kit or a dealer that would know what bearing to match it to. Id guess you could get a needle bearing for the model saw that the clutch drum is for, ie 440 evl, 510 etc, but
thats just a educated guess. The rim is a Oregon small spline .325 x 7. IMG_20220328_234135.jpg
We bought these off our Husky / Echo dealer, locally so no I'd have no idea where to find them now. Here is a screenshot from amazon that says the 513442 fits 400 evl and other models.
Screenshot_2022-03-28-23-54-09.pngAs for the bar, I just used a ko95 (small mount husky) and opened up the adjuster screw hole slightly with a dremel and carbide cutter. I have a versa cut alum on it right now because that's what I found locally, but would recommend a power match if you're going to do a lot of cutting, as I like a solid bar, and replaceable tip. IMG_20220328_234519.jpg
Good luck with your project. Please put some pics up, if you took some of your mods, as that makes the thread more exciting/ informative.

Duh moment here as I just saw that screenshot has the bearing number in it. Somehow I missed that the first time. Lol. Bearing #37509.

Duh moment here as I just saw that screenshot has the bearing number in it. Somehow I missed that the first time. Lol. Bearing #37509.
NorthenMaverick, thanks again for your help. Your posts #4 and #5 in this thread give me some more insight. What I'm still unsure of is if the drum for the CS400 EVL is compatible with the simple CS400. The ad copy I've read doesn't list both of those saw models for the same part, at least not what I've seen. I assume they'd be the same, but we all know how dangerous assumptions can be.
Can anyone clear this up?
Thanks. I'm really liking my CS400. I used it about 1/2 hour yesterday cutting big gnarly limbs down so they'd feed into our big Vermeer.

NorthenMaverick, thanks again for your help. Your posts #4 and #5 in this thread give me some more insight. What I'm still unsure of is if the drum for the CS400 EVL is compatible with the simple CS400. The ad copy I've read doesn't list both of those saw models for the same part, at least not what I've seen. I assume they'd be the same, but we all know how dangerous assumptions can be.
Can anyone clear this up?
Thanks. I'm really liking my CS400. I used it about 1/2 hour yesterday cutting big gnarly limbs down so they'd feed into our big Vermeer.
All I can tell you is mine has a 513442 clutch drum on it, and they list that for a 400evl, 510 etc. Find that, the bearing and a rim and you should be good to go.

Its for the reach while
limbing, not for burying it spike deep in 18" wood. It will pull all 18" of chain, but its going to be slow. Has surprising grunt for the cheap saw it is.
That makes sense.
I have a 20" on a Husky 450. It does the job but it's less than ideal.

My main work saws for logging are a 572 & 562 with 24" b&c. The echo 400 is for small wood limbing like spruce, red pine, cedar and the like.

I bought my CS 400 from my local dealer and learned how to mod it here. That was 7 years ago. Still runs great and starts everytime. The primer bulb only floods it now so I don't even use it anymore. Great saw and great wealth of info here. Arboristsite is awesome.
Cheers from TN

13685.jpeg

Back