Echo CS-490 DEAD after 11.5 months?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a "defective" decompression valve on a brand-new CS-590. I went back to the Echo Dealer (not big box store) and told him it was not releasing and sticking. He didn't even want to see the saw, he just believed me. He ordered a new one, called me when it came in. When I went to pick it up, I told him I could install it if I had the torque value, but it was probably the same as the spark plug. Hit went in the back and came back with a torque sheet. It only showed the spark plug no mention of the decompression valve. He handed it to me and said he put it in as a warranty repair, so he made some money on it, I guess. When I started to replace it, and removed the rubber cap, I saw a dry shaft in new rubber, I sprayed some liquid graphite on the shaft, waited for it to dry and it functioned perfectly. The H and L adjustments were turned maxed out. There had never been any gas in the tank, it was dry as a bone, so I know he never tested or setup my saw before selling it to me, came right off the shelf. It had a Rotary Copperhead Full Chisel chain on it. Come to find out later, he orders the head, the bar and the chains separately. No boxes, I saw one come in UPS while I was there. He is also the Echo Service Center in my area. Don't know if he would go to bat for me if I had another issue under warranty, but I doubt it. Here's the chart Echo uses in diagnosing engine failure analysis.
Echo Engine Failure Analysis.JPG

I've got a CS-590 too, and our echo dealers/servicers around here in southern PA are great. I run my saw easy (meaning I let it do all the work). I've put a lot of hours on it over the last few years and it still runs like new. I just pulled the muffler two days ago and the piston looks new on the exhaust port side. When I hear of someone cooking a new CS-490 or a CS-590, I wonder how they were running it and what fuel mix they were running. A chainsaw can only put it with so much, just like a good truck. Treat them right and you can get a life-time of use from them. But if you hot rod them and beat them up, expect the early death of a hot rod. I see my saws as edge tools, and like all edge tools, taking care of them and maintaining them properly is essential.

I've got a CS-590 too, and our echo dealers/servicers around here in southern PA are great. I run my saw easy (meaning I let it do all the work). I've put a lot of hours on it over the last few years and it still runs like new. I just pulled the muffler two days ago and the piston looks new on the exhaust port side. When I hear of someone cooking a new CS-490 or a CS-590, I wonder how they were running it and what fuel mix they were running. A chainsaw can only put it with so much, just like a good truck. Treat them right and you can get a life-time of use from them. But if you hot rod them and beat them up, expect the early death of a hot rod. I see my saws as edge tools, and like all edge tools, taking care of them and maintaining them properly is essential.
Enjoy your saw , run quality fuel / oil it will last many yrs !

Thanks for the update.
Sad that you were treated like that man I'd be pissed too.
We have 2 Echo saws (bought from a good dealer)
Has anyone ever had a GOOD experience dealing with Echo warranty?
Was cutting maple logs that were partially submerged in a river with a cs 400. The saw died out after sometime. Dealer said there was water in it :laughing: probly was I thought. But after further inspection the coil was replaced. Saw was probly out of warranty we were thinking but from a reputable dealer we have made other purchases thru (weingartz) total cost was 35$ I think. Thinking coil may have been damaged by water if it had a crack? But that's my only experience. Maybe he billed Echo off of one of my newer ones and it was only water in carb? And made $ off of a coil replacement??? 4 cs-400 2 cs-590 1 of those massive Echo backpack blowers pb 9010t I think it is. Plus an old gray 30 year old srm 2100 and a newer Echo straight shaft trimmer. No issues on any of them other than the time I was water logging. I buy from dealer and they tune saw and assemble it and send me home with full tanks of gas and bar oil.

Ran my cs590 today. Absolutely love that saw. Ibuprofen is helping me manage my spinal stenosis. Still putting off surgery. I enjoy working. At 75 im not ready to totally retire. Tree work is my only drug. It relaxes me. Hard work makes my body feel good. I enjoy the sound of my saws. It's addictive. Beats sitting and watching TV.

Ran my cs590 today. Absolutely love that saw. Ibuprofen is helping me manage my spinal stenosis. Still putting off surgery. I enjoy working. At 75 im not ready to totally retire. Tree work is my only drug. It relaxes me. Hard work makes my body feel good. I enjoy the sound of my saws. It's addictive. Beats sitting and watching TV.

I just had surgery for L-4,5 spinal stenosis ( Nov. 29). Best decision I’ve made. 20+ years of pain and now I’m almost pain free. Do it.

I just had surgery for L-4,5 spinal stenosis ( Nov. 29). Best decision I’ve made. 20+ years of pain and now I’m almost pain free. Do it.
Did they cut your back muscles and remove part of the bone ? Can you sleep on your back? Are you able to run a saw lift trailer tongues and work? Can you get on your back and slide under a tractor to work on it? How long were you laid up? Is there any advice you would like to tell me? Im all ears. Thanks

I love your outlook. If you can manage your spinal struggles with ibuprofen and good honest hard work, I say keep it going forever. I’m with ya! I can’t watch TV. I get weird. I need to tinker with something, split firewood, play outside with my kiddos, chat with my wife by the fire, go on a crazy logging adventure, see what other crazy people like me think on arboristsite! “Hard work makes my body feel good.” That’s the straight truth and worth living by! Thank you 🙏

I love your outlook. If you can manage your spinal struggles with ibuprofen and good honest hard work, I say keep it going forever. I’m with ya! I can’t watch TV. I get weird. I need to tinker with something, split firewood, play outside with my kiddos, chat with my wife by the fire, go on a crazy logging adventure, see what other crazy people like me think on arboristsite! “Hard work makes my body feel good.” That’s the straight truth and worth living by! Thank you 🙏
Yep , keep as active as possible . If ibuprofen is adequate to take the edge off your fortunate . At 68 with previous spinal fusion C-5 & C-6 & hip replacements I still motor on , slower but forward no the less lol. P.S. ( wow) Hope your Apple Orchard is still active brother !

Did they cut your back muscles and remove part of the bone ? Can you sleep on your back? Are you able to run a saw lift trailer tongues and work? Can you get on your back and slide under a tractor to work on it? How long were you laid up? Is there any advice you would like to tell me? Im all ears. Thanks

Yes they had to grind and remove bone to make room for the nerves.
Yes I can sleep on my back.
I just had the surgery end of November , surgeon says take it easy for 3 months. I feel I am good to go now, but I will listen to the doc.
The best advice I can give you after the surgery is to learn exercises that will strengthen your back muscles. If you are carrying any excess weight try to lose it. You have half the battle won with your positive attitude. I won’t let anything stop me.
I have had two cervical spine surgeries ,(2016,2018)and now one lumbar. They have all been great success stories. I will be out cutting firewood and riding my quad this year for sure.
56b00b177f3617278f45b4b6e604280b.jpg

d3e1224ec403a0bd6950b887a06e7e7e.jpg

Yes they had to grind and remove bone to make room for the nerves.
Yes I can sleep on my back.
I just had the surgery end of November , surgeon says take it easy for 3 months. I feel I am good to go now, but I will listen to the doc.
The best advice I can give you after the surgery is to learn exercises that will strengthen your back muscles. If you are carrying any excess weight try to lose it. You have half the battle won with your positive attitude. I won’t let anything stop me.
I have had two cervical spine surgeries ,(2016,2018)and now one lumbar. They have all been great success stories. I will be out cutting firewood and riding my quad this year for sure.
56b00b177f3617278f45b4b6e604280b.jpg

d3e1224ec403a0bd6950b887a06e7e7e.jpg
Wow.. I mean like WOW.. so glad to hear that. No i'm not over weight.. Until June 2020 I was able to Cycle.. I have been a Cyclist for many years..I would freak out if I got what I called fat..To much pride and way to active Ha. Ha..Lucky me, NO diabetes either.. In fact last year I was able to do a few push ups on my Finger Tips and a friend egged me on so he filmed it.. I think like 4. Ha. Ha. BUT 4, well that's 4..and 0 is nothing.. Ha. Ha..For a while as a YOUNG fool.. I boxed and did some martial arts..My 6 foot 4 grandson is big and strong, much stronger than me but my hands are bigger due to hard work.. In fact. Don't you hate it when GLOVES just don't fit then you get the big ones and the finger tips fold back. Ha. Ha..short fingers compared to thick hands..Gosh..can't have it all..Thanks guys. Men who work hard for a living are most often Good Hearted really decent people. I love this site..The Jerks that steal Chainsaws often can't even start them much less know how to properly run one. Here on the farm I pack..open carry a 9 on my boot holster...You know the type.. Just a good ole boy that absolutely can't stand thieves and liars...IF we were allowed to do so,, I know there's enough of us good guys who could limit crime by 50% in one weekend..BUT we gotta watch out what we say.. Political Prisoners are stacking up daily..I think in the next 5 years we may see a LOT of conservatives locked away..BUT on a better note..My grandson joined a police Department and is a full time cop. No one left here to help me anymore but I keep plodding along..He's a great honest kind but strong and able young man. Maybe he can do some good in spite of the political situation. Gotta stop for now and put some wood in the wood heater.. Love that smoking ole thing.. NO not my X wife. The wood heater. Ha. Ha..

Back