Echo cs 490 max bar size and sprocket info

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jjint

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi Guys

i purchased an oregon 36” bar and chain

(Oregon 363RNDD009 .063" Gauge 3/8" Pitch 36" Power Match Bar) and chain​

(OREGON 75JGX115G 115 Drive Link Super Guard Skip Sequence Chain, 3/8-Inch)

and when i put it on the echo 490 it doesnt seems to want to work

does the clutch sprocket need to be changed to sink up with this setup or should it be working? When i rev the saw i hear the chain skipping on the sprocket and making a grinding noise

YIKES, the CS-490 is a little "weak" with a 20" .325" set-up. Even muffler modded, correctly tuned and well broken in they are far better suited to a 16" or maybe an 18" bar, but lackluster power and cutting performance at 20".....IMHO.

Your basic issue is probably the incompatibility between .325" and 3/8" not moving out to .063" gauge.

On a good note they are very well-built saws, have in inboard clutch and only oil the chain when it's moving, plus pretty light weight for the cc's. I've owned, sold and tuned quite a few of them for customers to date, and they respond well to a minor muffler mod and removing the limiter caps and throwing some fuel at them.......Cliff

Minor suggestion. Might try a skip-tooth chain. And, less teeth on the sprocket, to give It "low gear". It really aughta be 60 cc or more, but if you are patient, and have low speed needs, occasionally needing to to cut a big tree, that's the direction to go.
Of course, you could try CAD!
(Chainsaw Acquisition Disorder)
Buy a saw with 70 cc's and.....
You know the rest!
Thanks,
N

Any suggestions on an affordable saw that will run this bar and chain?
I only need this setup for some exceptionally large trees which are already felled to make firewood or small enough pieces for disposal

Also

would this bar and chain work on a 590 timberwolf? That is 60cc
Your probably gonna need a Husqvarna 390 or 395 to "effectively" and "efficiently" pull a 36" chain. At least you bought a large mount D009 Husqvarna bar. the Echo 490 uses the K216 mount, the Echo 590 uses the D176 mount. My two larger Huskys would refuse to leave the house with a 36" bar waiting for them. What type and diameter of tree are ya working on??

60 cc is better, but a 36" bar... I'd like to see 90 cc pushing that. Just because I like things that are RIGHT.
N

The trunks i am cutting are 40” in diameter and there are about 30 12’ pieces

i will look into the husq saws you recommend

The trunks i am cutting are 40” in diameter and there are about 30 12’ pieces

i will look into the husq saws you recommend
Assuming you can access both sides of the log, you could cut them in half with a 24" bar. A 65cc-75cc saw could handle it. The saws I recommended for the 36" bar are not cheap. With a 40" diameter log, already felled, you have more affordable options.

Assuming you can access both sides of the log, you could cut them in half with a 24" bar. A 65cc-75cc saw could handle it. The saws I recommended for the 36" bar are not cheap. With a 40" diameter log, already felled, you have more affordable options.
Yes

the ones suggested are out of my price range but i was thinking about looking for a used one

i was cutting then with the 20” but it was taking so long and getting a little scary with kickback (no close calls but has 2 good jolts) so thats why i got the big bar

This started as a way to just clean up the mess of trees but i have made enough selling firewood so far to pay for a good uses gas powered log splitter so if i can find a way to clear this pile the saw may pay for itself and my neighbor constantly has trees he removed that i could cut up and sell

Yeah that 50cc saw is tapped out on a 20.

I pull a 36" with a 92cc Chinese G660 and it works great
d03383de5cde77cdb359f3d8f0d212dc.jpg

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

This started as a way to just clean up the mess of trees but i have made enough selling firewood so far to pay for a good uses gas powered log splitter so if i can find a way to clear this pile the saw may pay for itself and my neighbor constantly has trees he removed that i could cut up and sell
Dang man what kind of firewood market is there in middle Florida? People heat homes or mostly outdoor firepits and bbq"s? I'm impressed!

Yeah that 50cc saw is tapped out on a 20.

I pull a 36" with a 92cc Chinese G660 and it works great
d03383de5cde77cdb359f3d8f0d212dc.jpg

I was looking at this

can get this for like $500

is it worth grabbing?

Dang man what kind of firewood market is there in middle Florida? People heat homes or mostly outdoor firepits and bbq"s? I'm impressed!
This year has been good

only during the winter when people do bon fired and fire pits

i sell a Truck bed full (loose throw) for $180

I was looking at this

can get this for like $500

is it worth grabbing?
I like it, i don't use it much but so far it hasnt failed to start in 3 pulls or less ans runs great

Back