Echo cs 490 max bar size and sprocket info

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
would this bar and chain work on a 590 timberwolf? That is 60cc
i was cutting then with the 20” but it was taking so long and getting a little scary with kickback (no close calls but has 2 good jolts) so thats why i got the big bar
The trunks i am cutting are 40” in diameter and there are about 30 12’ pieces
A.) Max I run on my CS-590 is a 24" bar, occasionally ! It might run a larger bar but it's only spec'd (supplied) at max 20"
B.) What type chain were you using on that 20" bar, stock ? Was your chain sharp ? Was the log pinching your saw ?
C.) I recently cut my neighbors 40+" Cherry Tree with a 20" bar, full chisel chain, but it wasn't a problem with 20" and a couple of wedges

That is some big trees in Tampa, my brother lives there, been there many times.

A.) Max I run on my CS-590 is a 24" bar, occasionally ! It might run a larger bar but it's only spec'd (supplied) at max 20"
B.) What type chain were you using on that 20" bar, stock ? Was your chain sharp ? Was the log pinching your saw ?
C.) I recently cut my neighbors 40+" Cherry Tree with a 20" bar, full chisel chain, but it wasn't a problem with 20" and a couple of wedges

That is some big trees in Tampa, my brother lives there, been there many times.
Chain was brand new but I have to admit I am not an expert chain saw operator and has some kick back when the saw was mid way through the side i was working

made me think i was trying to do too much with too small a bar

i bought the chinese saw that was recommended so i will update once i receive it

This may sound harsh, but if the original poster is genuine (and not trolling) I think he's in over his head.

Asking about putting 36" bars on tiny saws and taking down 40" trees sounds like an accident waiting to happen. You need some experience (both with large saws and cutting technique) and a lot of caution with trees that are 40+" in size. Since you don't have the equipment you need now and you're asking about putting things together that don't go together that means you lack that experience.

Let's set that all aside for now. Bar length isn't just about the power your saw has, but whether the oiling system in the saw can support the bar! Putting a 36" bar on a 60cc and under saw is just going to burn it up. It's like trying to tow an 8000 pound trailer with a Toyota Corolla. It's possible in theory, but it's a very bad idea.

Another thing to remember is that you don't need a 36" bar to cut down a 36+" tree. A saw with a 24" bar works great on a tree that size if you work carefully. Watch youtube to observe professionals who do it all day.

If you insist on a 36" bar then you need an 80-90cc saw at a minimum.

May I suggest renting a big saw or alternatively if you're on a budget you could do an Echo CS-680 67cc for $600ish with a 27" bar. Big saws are big money.

Genuinely trying to look out for you on this one.

Yes

the ones suggested are out of my price range but i was thinking about looking for a used one

i was cutting then with the 20” but it was taking so long and getting a little scary with kickback (no close calls but has 2 good jolts) so thats why i got the big bar

This started as a way to just clean up the mess of trees but i have made enough selling firewood so far to pay for a good uses gas powered log splitter so if i can find a way to clear this pile the saw may pay for itself and my neighbor constantly has trees he removed that i could cut up and sell
Don’t worry, The big bar won’t kick back because you don’t have enough saw to turn it. It will be even slower too.

Chain was brand new but I have to admit I am not an expert chain saw operator and has some kick back when the saw was mid way through the side i was working
made me think i was trying to do too much with too small a bar
Chain was brand new, but you don't know what it was ? Never mind, I give up.

This may sound harsh, but if the original poster is genuine (and not trolling) I think he's in over his head.

Asking about putting 36" bars on tiny saws and taking down 40" trees sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

As I read it, he states the trees are already felled, only needs to cut them into manageable rounds.

Hi Guys

i purchased an oregon 36” bar and chain

(Oregon 363RNDD009 .063" Gauge 3/8" Pitch 36" Power Match Bar) and chain​

(OREGON 75JGX115G 115 Drive Link Super Guard Skip Sequence Chain, 3/8-Inch)

and when i put it on the echo 490 it doesnt seems to want to work

does the clutch sprocket need to be changed to sink up with this setup or should it be working? When i rev the saw i hear the chain skipping on the sprocket and making a grinding noise
OLD post BUT..No the stock 490 sprocket is NOT 3/8 Pitch;.. WRONG chain..Mine is a .325 pitch sprocket and it came with a 20 inch bar..Which mine pulls well.. Granted it would pull faster with an 18 inch bar but what came on it works well..JUST match the chain drive links to the chainsaw drive sprocket..Look at the stock bar. Every saw I've ever seen has the drive right on the bar..

Back