Echo CS-590 question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin GB

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all, I was up at the cottage last week cutting up a 22" oak for one of the neighbors with my 590. Cut up a few sections with multiple starts/stops while I jacked the sections around, started first pull every time. Figured I was going to be low on gas so I shut it down and filled the oil and fuel. Once I went to start it up couldn't even get a pop out of it, set it aside and got another saw out to finish. Got it home, changed the fuel, spark plug, cleaned the air filter, still nothing. Had spark and looked like it was getting fuel. Pulled the exhaust and the ring was rigid in the groove. I know my mix was good so it must be running lean, I'll look at that after it's rebuilt. (It was darn hot that day and it was working pretty hard but not worse than other times.)

Now for the question. When I pulled the cylinder everything was normal till I popped the wrist pin, there were no spacers/shims between the rod and piston. I had never seen that before so I looked up the parts list and sure enough they show up there. Has anyone seen this before? Don't want to put it back together without them if they are truly necessary but this saw has run for a few years apparently without them. I assume they are to keep the needle bearing from contacting the piston but just curious what you all know.

BTW, the cylinder had minor aluminum pickup on it. Cleaned up fine, just need a piston/ring and should be good to go again, anyone have any experience with the 620 double ring piston in these? I finished up the job with my CS-670, saw cuts great but darn it's heavy for an old guy like me :) Need to get the 590 going again, it's my favorite mid-size.

One I got in was lean from factory and was already scoring too. Was only 6 months old from past owner. Had a140psi and still ran fine.

If I hadnt of pulled the muffler to mod it and pull the epa stops off carb. Would not of known it. But checking carb setting she was way way lean stock.

Mine had shims if I recall right.

e590o.jpg
e590ooo.jpg

Just the 2nd hole in the muffler on these? I did one of my smaller Echo saws a while back but it was a catalyst so there was a lot of crap in it.

Back