Echo CS-590 replacement chain and skip chain help for a noob

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt.jans

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Been doing a little research but still a little confused. And can't find a skip chain (ripping chain) for my CS-590.

Manuals says I need a 72lpx84qc chain. I know that the 84 means 84 links in the chain. Can't find anything online about how to read the rest of the number. For example I found a 72lpx84g chain that says it fits my saw. But what does the g v. qc mean?

Also, just looking for ripping chain. Checked Oregon because Echo sent an Oregon chain with the saw when I bought it. But from what I can tell, Oregon isn't making a skip chain in my size anymore. All say "discontinued". Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

72lpx is a 3/8" pitch, 0.050" gauge chain. The 84 is how many drive links your bar takes. Any 3/8", 0.050 84 link chain will fit. Baileys has Woodland Pro ripping chain of that size, it's their 30RP chain.

72 means 3/8 pitch, .050 gauge. LPX means it's powercut.

https://www.oregonproducts.com/en/p...ght-saw-chain/c/finding-the-right-saw-chain-s
Skip chain and ripping chain are not the same thing (though they can overlap; a ripping chain can have skip cutters).

Ripping chain is configured for ripping and is usually ground with a very low angle. Skip chain means that it gets tie links instead of cutters every other time.

And 60cc is a small saw for milling. Typically milling work calls for longer bars, bigger saws, and more oil.

If you do want to put a rip and/or skip chain on that bar, you don't need to stick with Oregon.

Thanks! Really helpful! Both of you.

I'm not planning to cut boards on the regular, but I'm working on a big downed ash tree that I need to make rip cuts on to break it down. I did a couple and learned how quickly it'll dull a chain.

Been doing a little research but still a little confused. And can't find a skip chain (ripping chain) for my CS-590.

Manuals says I need a 72lpx84qc chain. I know that the 84 means 84 links in the chain. Can't find anything online about how to read the rest of the number. For example I found a 72lpx84g chain that says it fits my saw. But what does the g v. qc mean?

Also, just looking for ripping chain. Checked Oregon because Echo sent an Oregon chain with the saw when I bought it. But from what I can tell, Oregon isn't making a skip chain in my size anymore. All say "discontinued". Any recommendations?

Thanks!

A while back I was searching for a rip chain for my Echo CS590 and found them difficult to come by. When I finally ordered one I realized I could make my own while I was waiting for the ordered chain. I took one of my regular cross cutting chains and ground it down to the angle used on the rip chains and it worked like a charm. Since this required grinding more than normal sharpening my WATER COOLED chain saw sharpener (see my 7-3-19 post) did the job without any bluing of the teeth.

You can do everything you need with regular chain. No need for ripping chain or funny cutter angles. Your dull chain issue won’t be cured by changing to a 10* grind, you just hit junk/dirt and dulled your chain. Sharpen and carry on.

I buy Granberg chains for ripping. Have had good luck with them on my Alaskan mill.
Links, pitch and gauge and my order is in.

Latest posts

Back