Echo CS-590 Timberwolf Muffler Mod - Flow bench Measurements

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow. I had no idea that thing was inside there! Good catch and thanks for the tip!

View attachment 520878

Out it goes. And back to the bench I go.

Here's the quick results (corrected flow data).

Carb + air filter, with black insert = 17.2 CFM
Carb + Air Filter, without black insert = 18.4 CFM

The black insert costs you 1.2 CFM!

Carb + air filter + orange filter cover with black insert = 16.8
Carb + air filter + orange filter cover without black insert = 17.6

So installed on the saw you gain back .8 CFM (the cover still has a detrimental effect)

I retested the carb+filter_cover with insert to compare to last night and I am within 0.1 CFM so the tests repeat well.

I am definitely removing that part from inside my air filter! I will likely machine a spacer for the stud to prevent collapsing the air filter when I tighten the cover.

Anyone come up with a good "workaround" for this? This black "insert" inside the air-filter prevents the carb's spit-back of air/fuel mix into the filter, which wets the filter's rear wall especially the bottom and it attracts dirt like no other, so having SOME kind of "spit-plate" in there seems pretty requisite....am gonna see if I can order one for next-to-nothing so I can comfortably hack-away at mine, have several ideas for far superior approaches, one is to quite literally just put a sponge fixed inside the filter as the 'plate' so it can take the spitback from the carb and then just evap the gasoline and 'get heavy with oil' I guess? Maybe wring it out once every few sessions ;D
20210924_125755.jpg
^that "bonded sealing washer" (#8 size) on the spindle is perfect for filter sealing, it fits so tight on the shaft you have to push it down and can literally "peg the air filter in-place" just using the washer it's an awesome $0.25 fix (I smear a lil marine grease on its bottom/rubber side before installing....also put same grease on interfaces on rear of filter!)

Back