Echo CS 590

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Specs I'm finding show 4.6hp for the 034S and 4.7hp for the CS-590. Between book learning and actual experience, I'll go with the experience every time, so will definitely defer to you guys who have trigger time on the CS590, but you can see where I'm coming from too.
The 590 and 620p have a closer boreXstoke than many saws, they run a 37mm stroke where many saws in that class are 34mm, you get a considerable bump in torque due to the increase in mechanical leverage. And a 45mm bore vs 46mm which is more common.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I had an 034AV for several years. While I liked the feel of the saw and thought the power was good, my slightly modded 590 eats it alive. The 590 is like an old muscle car to me. It has unbelievable torque and just walks through wood. Eventually, I’d like to try it with a Tsumura bar and chain. The Super is basically a 036 so I can’t comment on it
I have an 034, (2) 360 , (4) 590, a 620 and several in different classes. I have found that the 590 will pull a little better with a 24" bar than the Stihls. I use a skip either way. I prefer a 20"
034 super and a 590 are just about even unless said 034 is clapped out completely.
I have 034s, 036s, 590s and a 620. The 590 may out pull the Stihl w/ a 25" skip but this altitude that is tough for either one. The 620p (also 59.8cc) pulls a 24" semi skip perfectly.

The 590 was my first big saw after running cheap crap and a ms180 for years. I loved it and cut a lot of firewood for 3 years. Then I bought the 462 and sold the 590 immediately. For the value the 590 is hard to beat. I paid $320 for it on a dealer day sale and sold it for $300.

Had the honor of rebuilding one that got straight gassed on it's 3rd tank and was quite taken by the quality a simplicity of that saw- kina built like the husky 372 xp and have heard nothing but good about that model, neighbor smoked his Stihl 390 and he asked what saw he should buy with a little more get up and go - Down to talk to him yesterday with his new 590 he bought and showed him proper gas mix and chain tension and one happy camper bucking up some large wind falls, another friend of mine has had one for about 3 years and has a lot of hours on it and still runs great.- Japanese engineering, affordable and high quality to get a good foothold in the market.

I may need to take a look at my 034S, if you guys are running 25" bars on that class of saw and thinking it's fine. Mine wears an 18" bar and I run full comp, and while it pulls just fine even in oak, I wouldn't want to go any bigger. I see NIB 590's pop up locally in the $250 range, might be worth getting one just to get some trigger time for a comparison.

The 590 is like an old muscle car to me. It has unbelievable torque and just walks through wood. Eventually, I’d like to try it with a Tsumura bar and chain. The Super is basically a 036 so I can’t comment on it

Yes they have torque which makes them a pleasure to run. Steve

I wouldn’t use 87 octane in any modern 2 cycle. Especially if the compression is as high as you say it is.
I would use a 91 range with no ethanol
Thats what the book tell you to run. I personally do a mix of 87 non eth and vp110 race fuel in all my equipment.

Always run ethanol free fuel in all your power equipment, it will save the fuel lines and carb. The small price difference between regular gas and ethanol free will save you money and time in the end. Also mine pulls just fine in red oak and 24" bar. Full comp or semi skip there is no noticeable difference. Only thing I did was get a 24" bar and added a set of extra large felling spikes from ebay for about 25$20210410_120418.jpg20210410_101539_resized.jpg

I have a CS-590, early 600P (the later 600's used the same P/C as the 590's according to the IPL's), and a CS-620PW.

On purpose I've been using the CS-590 as my "go-to" saw since day one. I don't cut it any slack and run the dog living piss out of it at every outing. It's main duty is "cross-cuttin" huge logs to make them manageable to get to the splitter. It refuses to clog up and an excellent saw for that purpose. It has a broad/smooth/flat power curve and pulls really well with a 20" bar and decent with a 24" bar.

At this point mine owes me nothing and even today I'm going to attack a big pile of logs I just dropped in front of the boiler shed.

Negatives for the CS-590 are the cheaper laminated bar they show up with. Mine didn't last all that long before the chains were laying sideways enough it in cutting performance was really starting to suffer. It also doesn't have a removable drive sprocket so a new clutch will be in order when you wear the drive out. I replaced the cheap plastic handle on mine with a "take-off" from a CS-620 on Ebay. That didn't help it do anything better other than give it a better appearance and the owner a little warm & fuzzy when I toss it into the back of the truck or side-by-side..

A while back I did some timed cut testing between all three of the Echo saws mentioned above. The testing didn't tells us much because with shorter bar in the smaller logs I was in you really couldn't tell much difference between them. I decided not to repeat the testing in bigger material mostly because those saws are all on par with each other outfitted with a 20" bar and most of my cutting here is tops left over from logging operations so not often I'm in the big stuff anyhow, plus I'm getting older, just retired last month and spending my energy doing things unrelated to my businesses, etc.

The CS-590 cross-cut the huge Maple and Beech in the pics below and never grumbled once.......CliffMaple1.JPGIMG_1177.jpg

Thanks for the 620 handle to 590 very interesting! On ebay they make a bottom protective plate out of aluminum that looks real nest. I think the same guy that makes the custom felling spikes makes the bottom plate

Around here it's not easy to find non-ethanol gas. I have to drive close the 40 miles round trip to the nearest station that has it...
The ethanol free fuel lasts up to 2 years in my experience, I add 1oz seafoam per gallon. I rotate my 60 gallon supply yearly as cans are dated when filled. If you drive that far get a bunch of it and make the trip worthwhile

Never had the first issue one with E-10 fuel, but I don't leave it in equipment or fuel cans all that long. If equipment is going to sit for a while I dump the tanks and run them till they stall out.
I absolutely LOVE modern fuel blends with ethanol and it keeps me a LOT busier than I want to be because folks neglect their small power equipment and leave it in fuel tanks and gas cans for years then expect everything to be good to go when the need to use it.......

Ethanol might not be so bad if it didn't draw moisture that seems to corrode passages in the carburetors, especially the small carbs like on MS180 saws. I've found it's better just to change the smaller carbs rather than rebuild them..Anyway, the Echo has a larger carburetor and probably wouldn't stop up so bad..

Thanks for the 620 handle to 590 very interesting! On ebay they make a bottom protective plate out of aluminum that looks real neat. I think the same guy that makes the custom felling spikes makes the bottom plate
I almost bought that plate; I've been waiting on someone to buy that aluminum bottom protector and let us know how it worked. I was skeptical about the way it attached to the back handle, and one picture looked like it was blocking the oil adjust screw, that wouldn't be a problem: just drilling a cutout for the screw.

Latest posts

Back