Echo CS400 Chain Tensioner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This gear type tensioner is such a headache and expensive! For the second time, the chain popped off cutting brush and the gearset in the the tensioner is shredded. Is there a less complicated tensioner thats available for these saws that I can replace it with that will be cheaper?

I LIKE the fact you can do it from the side but I DON"T like replacing shredded gears that are super expensive....

Looks like compacted debris in the gear teeth caused it/contributed to derail- possible sand contamination. The derail did damage to the teeth but it still seems serviceable with a little deburring with a triangle file. This tensioner appears it must need fairly constant maintenance. I haven't touched a tensioner beyond using it for what it's intended for on any of my other saws... Ever.

I have had a CS-340 and never had a problem with the tensioner. I DO clean it pretty well with compressed air every day I swap a chain. I don't sharpen on the bar, I just swap chains, then sharpen them at home. Its seen enough use that the plastic "dogs" are worn down to about 25% remaining material.

I run the heck out of cs-400s and throw alot of chain clearing brush and alot of dirt and debris gets packed in from cutting stumps flush with the ground clearing land for food plots. Never had this issue, but I will be paying more attention to this issue moving forward, thanks for sharing the info

No.

Chain throwing events breaking teeth off of the tensioner or damaging it...

Using the tensioner to tighten chain without proper support (bar nuts finger tight). The tin plate inside will be pushed out by the gears if unsupported and put under any sort of load, misaligning the gears. Debris makes this worse.

Latest posts

Back