Echo Husky 18-20” saw comparisons

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbrewsaw

Reaction score
Hello all, New member today but I have been searching on here a bit. Some background, I Have about 3/4 an acre of trees to clear. About 40ft tall, 14-16” diameter at max, mostly tulip trees, but there are other species mixed in, and different sizes as well. Have dropped about 15 trees so far, still have probably 30 or so left mostly on the bigger side.
Been using an echo cs310 14” that was bought as a gift for me about 10 years ago, and a ryobi 40v 14” cordless saw. The ryobi does well and can cut thru trees without issues, but is mainly used for trimming and limbing and last minute touch ups, to try and conserve battery. The echo has been the main workhorse and has been awesome, but definitely way underpowered for what I’m doing, and for the amount of work I’ve been putting it thru, I’m surprised and glad I have not blown it up yet.

As for my question: been looking at 18-20” saws. My budget is absolute $500 at the highest and I’m much more comfortable at the $400 mark. Been looking at the:

Echo Cs-590 18”/20” (will probably get the 18” to have the 18” bar on hand and add a tsumurmura 20” bar so that I can run the more common 72DL chain)

Husky 445 18”
Husky 450 rancher 20”
Husky 455 rancher 20”

My main concern was more power, so my first choice was the 590, plus I’m a bit of an echo fanboy. And everything I’m reading is saying the echo is probably the best for the price and motor size, But I can’t get the husky saws out of my head.

As I said I’m looking for a good sizeable power increase over my cs310 but I’d like better availability to other chains, like chisel chains etc, and it seems the echo tends to run less common DL size.
The thing about the husky saws, is they are priced higher for less cc, and the plastic crankcase scares me a bit. Does the husky offer better qualities to justify the higher price for less motor?
I have multiple echo dealers near me and I believe I have a husky dealer as well, so both are available to me.
Any thoughts are appreciated.
Thanks all.

Just get the Echo, unless you want to step up to a 550, 555, or 562 husky. If you get the 590 make sure you or the dealer tune when you first get it and then tune it again after breakin.

590/18” is about perfect for what you’re looking at wanting to do. By all accounts it is a well built machine. I don’t really see the point in getting both an 18” and 20” bar, though. Anything you can do with the 20” you can do with the 18”.

The plastic homeowner Husqvarna saws are fine, but I’d pass just because of the plastic chassis issue.

The magnesium case “pro” Husqvarna (and similar Stihl) are outside your budget. So their relative benefits are immaterial.

Hello all, New member today but I have been searching on here a bit. Some background, I Have about 3/4 an acre of trees to clear. About 40ft tall, 14-16” diameter at max, mostly tulip trees, but there are other species mixed in, and different sizes as well. Have dropped about 15 trees so far, still have probably 30 or so left mostly on the bigger side.
Been using an echo cs310 14” that was bought as a gift for me about 10 years ago, and a ryobi 40v 14” cordless saw. The ryobi does well and can cut thru trees without issues, but is mainly used for trimming and limbing and last minute touch ups, to try and conserve battery. The echo has been the main workhorse and has been awesome, but definitely way underpowered for what I’m doing, and for the amount of work I’ve been putting it thru, I’m surprised and glad I have not blown it up yet.

As for my question: been looking at 18-20” saws. My budget is absolute $500 at the highest and I’m much more comfortable at the $400 mark. Been looking at the:

Echo Cs-590 18”/20” (will probably get the 18” to have the 18” bar on hand and add a tsumurmura 20” bar so that I can run the more common 72DL chain)

Husky 445 18”
Husky 450 rancher 20”
Husky 455 rancher 20”

My main concern was more power, so my first choice was the 590, plus I’m a bit of an echo fanboy. And everything I’m reading is saying the echo is probably the best for the price and motor size, But I can’t get the husky saws out of my head.

As I said I’m looking for a good sizeable power increase over my cs310 but I’d like better availability to other chains, like chisel chains etc, and it seems the echo tends to run less common DL size.
The thing about the husky saws, is they are priced higher for less cc, and the plastic crankcase scares me a bit. Does the husky offer better qualities to justify the higher price for less motor?
I have multiple echo dealers near me and I believe I have a husky dealer as well, so both are available to me.
Any thoughts are appreciated.
Thanks all.
I had 2 echo 590s for 7 years
Never had to use the second one
The first one never failed.
Far better saws than those Husqvarna series now.
The older pro Husqvarna are second to none but the homeowner series sucks imho.
It doesn't matter if you put a husky bar on the 590
The spacing is what's different you'll still have odd drive link counts
You just have to try I used many different dl chains and there was enough adjustment to keep them tight.

I've got both a Husky 450 and several 590s.

The Husky was my first real saw and has been muffler modded and tuned. It's a great lightweight saw and it saw a lot of use.
But the only pro of the 450 is it being lighter than the 590.

That said, one of the 590s is muffler modded and tuned and it's an absolute beast. You get almost 10 more cc with the 590 and a lot more torque. It doesn't flinch with Live Oak or the Water Oak we have in Florida.

The truth is my 310/590 combo would do almost anything I need done on my 40 acres.

If I had to do it over again, I'd have skipped the 450 and gone with the 590 from the start.

Ive had a Jonsered 2255 for years now, a red 455 rancher, no complaints. its fell and bucked many trees and has cut tons of fire wood. I run a 20 and 16inch bar on it. I second getting a pro saw if you can though. 50 to 60cc pro saw isn't much more. Doubt you'll be disappointed with either the echo or husky.

Echo CS 590 Timber Wolf with a 20" greaseable roller nose bar. Get the Red Beard velocity stack foam air cleaner for it and mod the muffler and while you are at it, loose the limiter caps. The Japanese build a great saw and the CS 590 Echo is considered a 'professional saw' so no catalytic converter in the muffler to contend with either. The stock Echo bar is maybe 2 ounces heavier than the aftermarket one. Let it breathe and it will perform

Back