Echo PB580T suddenly dies

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunns

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have an Echo PB580T backpack blower 3yrs old. It starts ok, 3 pulls, and runs fine. It starts and runs fine any where from as much as an hour or so and then sometimes as little as 5min. It then suddenly stops without any warning like it would if it had run out of gas. It’s just like I’d turned it off with the kill switch. I highly suspected the possibility that the kill switch was shorting out. I disconnected the grounding lead from the kill switch cable where it’s attached to the metal chassis. It still wouldn’t start. I checked for spark with a spark tester with the kill switch on run and off and both resulted in a good bright spark. This didn’t make sense to me. I’d expect no spark if the kill switch was in the off position. When running the blower performs just like the day I bought it. I did a compression check and the compression checks fine. I don’t know but maybe it has to do with the ignition module.

Has anyone experienced the same issue or knows of a form that addresses backpack blowers?

Does the stop switch normally shut the blower off?

Have you replaced spark plug with known good plug or replacement?

Could have a short in wire harness or could be module failing only when engine warm( have to check spark right when it shuts off) or fuel vent unlikely as it shuts right off

Still having problems with the blower. I ordered an alleged Echo replacement carb and installed it. It ran fine for a day then died and wouldn’t restart. When pressing the primer bulb it wouldn’t immediately pop back out. I took the carb off and disassembled it. This was my first time inside a WTA-35 carb. I took the primer assy off and all looked well. Next I took the top ( the one held on with one screw) off and looked at the carb body. It had a small 3/8” depression in it with initially looked like a black plug. It turned out to be a lot of black bebéis. When I cleaned it out I saw a screen. This is apparently the intake screen. I removed it and thoroughly cleaned and replaced it. I re assembled the carb and installed it. The blower started right up and ran fine for a day. It died just like before. I checked the intake screen and it was again clogged. When I originally installed the new carb I also put on a new fuel filter. So twice the intake was clogged with a brand new filter. The gas tank is clean. So now my question!

The intake screen gets clogged with black debris so is the BLACK fuel intake line deteriorating and causing the problem. Has anyone experienced this? Any comments are appreciated.

P. S. Please take time this weekend to remember our Veterans who gave all!

Ya, could be your fuel is breaking up.
replace line and clean tank too, may have bits of line and dirt in tank

Why not replace both fuel lines when replacing the carb? (The last carb replacement I got came with fuel lines, fuel filter, air filter and spark plug. Didn't bother diagnosing the problem, just fixed everything.

Back