Echo pole saw VS Stihl pole saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StihlMaster88

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've been researching pole saws and deciding between an Echo or Stihl. I use to own an older stihl but sold it many years ago and recently borrowed a friends stihl and both did well. Now if you read on the Stihl website a lot of guys say the new model is breaking alot. I also don't want to buy new and there really isn't anything used for sale since it's such a rare tool for most people. I've come across a used Echo ppt-266 model which seems to have longer reach than the stihl and you can add a 4ft extension on it to get even higher. The only downside I see with the echo is the 25cc engine. If I went new it would be the same thing but I could get the straight handle integrated into the pole vs the loop handle on the 266. Stihl has the bigger engine units but costs more money, they have the 4 moto engine, gonna have to buy new and seems like they have a gear box breaking problem or something . users?thoughts?

I like the loop handle much better.
These are heavy ungainly tools when stretched out to 16 feet, and the loop handle is easy to hang on to and work the throttle.

I have the Echo PPT-2620(w/loop handle) and the 4 foot extension. About a foot shorter, and close to a pound lighter, and nearly $100 cheaper than the 266.

I thought about waiting until I could find a good used one. But I needed it right away, and got a pretty good deal from my dealer. A little under Echo's MSRP out the door for both pieces.
Beware HD's prices on these are over MSRP.

I've since seen a few old beat up units for usually about 300-350.

Oh, and 25cc cuts plenty fast. I've cut through a couple of 8" limbs without issue.

Yes the HD price on a new 2620 is off the charts. I thought the 2620 and 266 were the same length but the 280 which they don't make anymore was a foot longer. I'm looking at the HD rental sales for the 266 and want $350 taxed no warranty.

The extension is not included in the 15% off sale. But my dealer knocked about that much off anyway.

Yes the HD price on a new 2620 is off the charts. I thought the 2620 and 266 were the same length but the 280 which they don't make anymore was a foot longer. I'm looking at the HD rental sales for the 266 and want $350 taxed no warranty.
Right. I was thinking of the 280.
MSRP was $599 on the 2620, and I think that was the price I paid out the door.

I worry about little wear items failing on some of these. Little stuff can add up pretty quick.
And those rentals often don't look anywhere near new.
Mine still looks new except some scuffs on the bottom where you set it down.

it's $599 online in most places and one place is $575 . one big difference I saw was the new model has a much larger fuel tank . I looked at the dealers near me and nothing is super close and if I'm still paying 600 for new no savings really

I have a HT101 Stihl and have been very impressed with it. I farm and use the pole saws to clean up my headlands. I’ve been amazed at how fuel efficient the saw is. The 4-mix engine idles smoothly for extended periods of time with out stalling. While not the biggest model it has an impressive amount of torque. The outer extension tube is relatively easy to replace (when ya screw up) and surprisingly affordable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

it's $599 online in most places and one place is $575 . one big difference I saw was the new model has a much larger fuel tank . I looked at the dealers near me and nothing is super close and if I'm still paying 600 for new no savings really
I don't think I would want to hold that thing up long enough to run out of fuel.

That's true. Used pole saws aren't thick on the ground.
You could probably use it for a year and still get your money back, as long as nothing breaks.

Well where I used to work I’ve used both Stihl and Echo pole saws, they both worked pretty much the same but the Echo always started in one or two pulls so for that reason I preferred the Echo.
Last year I bought a four mix Stihl combi for use around my home-farm ,it doesn’t have the long reach the others had but wow it’s a lot lighter and usually reaches far enough for my use, it starts real easy, I would most likely buy the same one again if I had to do it over for some reason.

IMHO unless you are buying a top end Stihl you are wasting your money in the long run. Parts are more, labor is often more, less warranty then a new Echo (I believe Stihl I’m not 5 year res) and I just don’t see the value.

I have seen a good amount of weed eaters and multi use powerheads come in both Stihl and Echo and would say that the Echos are usually repaired and returned more often then the Stihls. I know that’s a big claim without numbers to show but that’s just my opinion. YMMV. Happy shopping! Use good oil!

I have the Stihl ht131, my father in law has the biggest echo, don't remember the model number. His echo is better in every way than my Stihl. I wish I would have tried his echo before I bought my Stihl. I would have bought the echo for sure.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I have the Stihl ht131, my father in law has the biggest echo, don't remember the model number. His echo is better in every way than my Stihl. I wish I would have tried his echo before I bought my Stihl. I would have bought the echo for sure.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I’m sure it would be an easy sell. Then you can buy an Echo. I have a HT131 myself, never had any issues but it is heavy. I can’t use it very long at a time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back