Echo pole saw VS Stihl pole saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m sure it would be an easy sell. Then you can buy an Echo. I have a HT131 myself, never had any issues but it is heavy. I can’t use it very long at a time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The only issue I have with it is the telescopic shaft won't stay in if you don't need the full extension. No matter how tight you tighten the knob clamp, the shaft keeps creeping out. It's a good saw, don't get me wrong. The echo is just better. It is heavy. The first time I used it, I cut for about 2 hours, then it took me the rest of the day to pick up and haul off all the limbs.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I have not run anything but my HT101 so I don’t have a good comparison. I use the shoulder strap and walk the perimeter of my fields trimming and then do cleanup. The saw isn’t light but I didn’t think it was too bad. I weigh 170lbs and find it a pleasure to run. The cleanup is my least favorite part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMHO unless you are buying a top end Stihl you are wasting your money in the long run. Parts are more, labor is often more, less warranty then a new Echo (I believe Stihl I’m not 5 year res) and I just don’t see the value.

I have seen a good amount of weed eaters and multi use powerheads come in both Stihl and Echo and would say that the Echos are usually repaired and returned more often then the Stihls. I know that’s a big claim without numbers to show but that’s just my opinion. YMMV. Happy shopping! Use good oil!
Yep. I can always order Echo parts very easily and their parts diagrams are available to the public. Echo still offers parts for their older products and the prices are reasonable. Their designs are also easy to work on.

Stihl- not so much. Not only are they a nuisance to work on but only a Stihl dealer has access to part numbers and diagrams. IF you’re lucky enough to need a part that they haven’t discontinued it will often be pricy. They also like to only offer certain parts only as a component. I have a Stihl commercial trimmer in my shop that just needs a 8” throttle cable but the only way it can be had is by purchasing the entire handle complete with throttle and kill switch for about $100.

If it was an Echo it could have been three times as old as this Stihl and I could have looked up the cable online and ordered if for under $10.

Back