echo ppt 265 es pole saw long term review vs stihl pole saws ht 75

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Parts ordered today, came up to about $200 for a new cylinder, base gasket, and air filter cover. A lot less than what I figured, so +1 to echo there. For reference, a stihl P&C is about $800 here, so all things being equal I guess you guys can get an echo cylinder for about the same price as a quarter pounder stateside.

Shaun

I've been less and less happy with my Stihl pole pruners. Even when new they were dogs. I've known the oiling was an issue, as they never use any oil. Add in that you have to fight to get them to rev and then you just hold them there because waiting for them to rev again makes the job take forever.

I didn't know what I was missing till I got to run a friends Echo, felt better in my hand overall and worked really well. Now I'm thinking of switching, but I can't decide for sure. The Stihl stuff is paid for and selling it would only get me halfway or a little better maybe towards the Echo.

Mr. HE:cool:

Parts ordered today, came up to about $200 for a new cylinder, base gasket, and air filter cover. A lot less than what I figured, so +1 to echo there. For reference, a stihl P&C is about $800 here, so all things being equal I guess you guys can get an echo cylinder for about the same price as a quarter pounder stateside.

Shaun

Ain't that the luck! Glade it won't set you back to far, still sucks having a truck run it over. I don't think I'd want to lift the pole pruner that could stand up to a dump truck. :laugh:

Mr. HE:cool:

Did the cylinder swapover earlier this week but didn't have time to post some pics. All went fine, it's a simple little engine to work on. Very tiny little piston though! The pin for the rings is right in the middle of the intake port, I'd always thought that was a no no but I really don't know for sure. Single piston ring.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The muffler weighs 17 metric tonnes, and has something inside it. Is that a cat? I've never seen anything like that inside a muffler before.

attachment.php

This shows the damage to the cylinder. You can see the whole left section has snapped off, as well as half of the bolt hole on the right. It looks pretty big in the pic because it's a close photo, but this is really very small and flimsy.

attachment.php

And shown here put back together so you can see where the crack was. It seems like a minor weak point in the saw design. Everything on the left side of the saw hangs off these two small bolts, which are not very well cast into the cylinder. The throttle extension, the carb itsellf, the airfilter and the large cover over it, and the throttle cable all hang off this section. It's not inconceivable that it would crack if you dropped it, even from just waist height.

Anyway, it's back together and working great.

Shaun

Pic 2 sure is your classic catalytic converter. Some how many folks loose them and are very happy with the reduced heat. But I doubt the pole saws suffer very much from the heat(there have been some cases where the assumed culprit for the sieze was the high heat output of the cat). Compared to a brushcutter f.e. because a pole saw does not run WOT for extended peroids of time.

I have used my a good bit in the woods gettting ready for deer season, but not as much as an arborist would.

One of the best tools I have ever got for hunting. It saves some grief setting stands. I trim stuff around the yard, so my wife won't put it together that I got it for hunting. It takes some abuse on an ATV, so how much to spend for that kind of use, and relatively little cutting, is a good question.

Except it doesn't extend, the ht250 is like having a ms200t on a stick with 5 more cc's.

It's been a couple months, so I thought I'd throw an update in there with some longer term impressions.

I've been carrying round both the stihl and the echo, and would generally give the nod to the echo. As originally posted it has proved to be a very robust unit in most ways, with only a couple of minor gripes. The first is the bar tensioner nuts which as previously mentioned are tiny. We lost the tool already, so if the chain jumps or needs tensioning I have to wait till I get home to do it. I'll have to pick up a spanner, or socket or something and find some way of storing it so it wont get lost.

We've done a couple of bigger hedges with the echo and the power of the hedger is impressive. It isn't the fastest thing, and man that hedging head weighs a tonne! but it will go through stuff right up to about 3/4" with a little persuasion. The strap that comes with the polesaw is completely useless. Another minor annoyance is the way the hedging head mounts - it mounts so the head is perpendicular to the handle. It can't be rotated due to the keying. This means the pole saw is comfortable to operate only so long as you are facing the hedge. For myself, I prefer to stand parallel to the hedge and walk along it as I trim. If you do this, the handle is on the side of the saw rather than on the top, making it even more straining to hold on to. I don't think that explanation makes any sense so I'll take a pic next time we're hedging.

The echo is noticeable heavier than the stihl. You don't notice it when you pick them up side by side, but 10 minutes sawing with each gives it away. The echo starts to get heavier quite quickly! You can definitely go longer with the stihl before 'pole saw arm' sets in. The stihl also has about 5" more reach. The price you pay for that lightness is that they just don't last. If I'm doing a bunch of lighter stuff, palm pruning for example, at full extension, the stihl is much nicer to use. If you're doing heavier limbs, the echo is faster and more powerful which makes up for its slight weight disadvantage. When you're doing bigger limbs you're not supporting the weight of the saw for as much time either.

While the echo is better build quality overall, there are areas it's lacking. A couple of weeks ago a branch cracked the oil filler cap. The cap is very brittle/flimsy plastic and pokes out a lot further than the stihl flippy cap. The bar cover on the echo is also noticeable more flimsy, and I've spoken with a few guys who have complained about the tensioner on the echo as not lasting very long.

I'll throw another post up in a few months or so. If I haven't and you're reading this feel free to give me a boot.

Shaun

Pole-saw arm----Berry gud!!!

I continue to find jobs for my 75, and it continues to knock them right out without complaint. A polesaw is a tool you didn't know you couldn't live without until you have one.

Thanks for the real world update! :clap:

rep sent!

edit: AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH cannot rep, rep around first, I hate this repping system! :angrysoapbox: I don't rep a lot since the like function, but still that is simply annoying!

So only a like sent!

Last edited:
Thought I'd put another update in here. Kind of a bummer to see all the pics gone :-(

I broke the pole saw head on the saw last week. I can't work out whether it was a poor design, a casting defect, or I was just too rough with it. The pole saw caught a branch as it came down. When this happens I tend to try to go with the branch than fight it. I find I can usually get the saw out on the way down, but if I fight it I end up wearing the branch. On the odd occasion that I can't free the saw, so long as you're kind of loose in holding it I find that the saw is ok most times. This time it wasn't. The pole saw head cracked at the union between where it bolts onto the shaft and the head itself. No big deal I figured, new saw head and be done with it.

RRP on the pole saw head here in aus turns out the be $650, not far shy of what you can pick up the entire saw for ($500). The hedging head, which is geared and has a precision blade sells for considerably less than that. The hedging head includes the blade also, the pole saw head does not include a bar. You can buy complete small saws for $650. I ended up getting it from my dealer for $490, apparently not much more than their cost if you'll believe that.

I haven't yet worked out if the head I received is a new design, or an old one... but it's different from what came on the saw. There have been a few changes.

The new head;
  • tensioner is in the body rather than the side cover
  • side cover no longer has a retaining screw
  • fasteners are now all the same size (4mm allen key)
  • the oil filler cap is now (incredibly!) taller, and a smaller opening
  • the bar studs are smaller and don't accept the same bar. Mine may be missing a part

I'm thinking this is a new design. There was no notice on the box about compatibility, or the lack of it. The chain tensioner is now in the body, but is just sitting there and falls out every time you remove the bar. The side cover is much the same. The original oil filler cap was a major design flaw compared to stihl. It was too high, exposed to damage and was very brittle. We already cracked 2 or 3 of them. The new one is even more ridiculously tall, making it worse and the hole is smaller making it harder to fill. The big let down though was the new bar studs. The studs themselves are the same size, but they don't have an expanded dowel at the base to locate the bar. Because of this, the original bar no longer fits. You will discover this out on a site, when you needed the saw to do the job and you are hours drive from the dealer. I can't figure out if the new head should go with a new bar with a smaller slot or the studs need to have a spacer ring on them. There was no useful information in the box the head came in. At that point I figured I had nothing to lose so I attempted swapping the (very small, 1/4" or less?) bar studs with the older ones so I could get the job down and not pay my workers for nothing. Original head studs came out easy, but the new ones were loctited in well and truely and snapped when I tried to remove them. I took it back to the dealer who stripped it down so as not to cause heat damage to the plastic parts, then torched the studs to break the loctite, pulled the studs and swapped them with the ones on the old broken head at no charge.

I was kind of discouraged about taking detailed photos for all of this after seeing all the pics in the old threads gone

One thing worth mentioning with stihl, is that they have excellent 'version control'. They keep plenty of stock of spare parts, for years to come. If they do update the design of a part, service bulletins are released and they ensure it's backwards compatible. That's really important when you use your tools to get income. A plus to stihl there, and a minus to echo.

The echo pole saw is still a better pole saw overall than the still. The engines are about equal, the shaft on the echo is far superior to the stihl (definitely the stihl's weak point!) and will last a long time. The way the head is secured to the pole is another big letdown for stihl and echo is the clear winner there also. The pole saw head itself is a major letdown on the echo though. It's weak, flimsy and cheap looking. It's about the equivalent of heads you get on $200 chinese pole saws. On balance, I'm still voting for the echo. It's held up better than a stihl over the last 10 months, and I still feel confident I'll get years of use out of it. After a year, the pole on the stihl saws is often decidedly worse for wear. I'll just have to be more careful with the head in future, wish they'd spent a few more $ there

Nice reviews Shaun, thanks for those.
I've been using ht75 owned by a company with street tree contracts, I really like it and it had seen a lot of abuse, the shaft was slightly bent but not too much, head didn't oil a lot but chain didn't bind, engine is beautiful, weight is good and it cuts fine, throttle response is excellent. I liked it so much I bought myself one, I'll give it a good workout and see if anything falls off

Another update,
I found out that the head I received is the new design, and it intended to go with a redesigned bar. The new bar has a tensioner slot in the bar (!) that mates up with the tensioner in the body which is an unnecessarily complicated design in my opinion. I'm still using mine with the studs from the old head and the bar from the old head and it works fine.

The HT 75 is quite good if you get a good one. It's lighter than the echo, has an extra couple inches reach and when you get a good one they are quite zippy. If you get a lemon you're screwed though. No way of telling till you've paid for it unless you buy used. I'd buy used if I was going to buy another, and I buy pretty much all my equipment new so that says something. They are pricey in aus, I think about $1250 for the ht 75 which is a lot of coin for the risk. More are good than are lemons, but I'd put the ration maybe 70/30 from my experience using quite a lot of them. A lot of them have bent shafts, and they can't be straightened or repaired. A lot I have used just don't work at full extension after a year or so.

I ran an oleo mac pole saw last week that belonged to another contractor and it surprised the hell out of me with the power it had. I didn't get the model number. I'm happy with the echo but it's heavy. You do notice the difference if you're on it all day. My solution to that is getting the guys on the crew to run it. I don't feel a thing. They don't last long though, so bring a few guys with you.

I looked up the specs and it weighs the same in the book as a 660 w/o bar n chain, thankfully I've never had to hold mine above my above my head all day

The HT 75 is quite good if you get a good one. It's lighter than the echo, has an extra couple inches reach and when you get a good one they are quite zippy. If you get a lemon you're screwed though. No way of telling till you've paid for it unless you buy used. I'd buy used if I was going to buy another, and I buy pretty much all my equipment new so that says something. They are pricey in aus, I think about $1250 for the ht 75 which is a lot of coin for the risk. More are good than are lemons, but I'd put the ration maybe 70/30 from my experience using quite a lot of them. A lot of them have bent shafts, and they can't be straightened or repaired. A lot I have used just don't work at full extension after a year or so.

I ran an oleo mac pole saw last week that belonged to another contractor and it surprised the hell out of me with the power it had. I didn't get the model number. I'm happy with the echo but it's heavy. You do notice the difference if you're on it all day. My solution to that is getting the guys on the crew to run it. I don't feel a thing. They don't last long though, so bring a few guys with you.
Do you remember if the oleo had the tilting head?

2015: I have used Echo pole pruners for many years. Their first. The American model they bought out was a shocker and I am going to guess some of the older model is the cause of the different tools needed.
As for the PPT 265es. God I am glad Echo reworked it. The older model would fail so often I can see why so many got put off. Their hedger was a total piece of ****. I worked with one of the trade people here and he was working on spinning circular blades instead of the flat bar. Which I am glad to say Echo dropped. The housing was plastic and the gears let go so often. I moved on and got my engineer to modify a chainsaw head to take a 7.25in thin nerf tungsten blade. This is ideal for hedges and will cut cleanly on woods up to 3.5in. Where the chain saw rips too much on the smaller stuff. The PPT 265es has come a long way under Echo and is now a brilliant piece of gear. One weakness is the bearings in the shaft. They are sealed. Crap. Due to water running down the shaft and I guess the temps they can get up to, they must suck in that water. As I do these bearings often enough to be annoying. Comments have been made about not being able to swivel the saw (I assume) the whole shaft can be revolved by just letting tension off the two screws in front of the handle. The reciprocating hedger is ??? try holding this out on full extension. Sodding hopeless. Try holding my conversion out and it is easy. It weights sod all, compared to 6lb of their hedger. Convert one of these and you will be happy doing good looking hedges. Ands I can post details of shaft that needs to be made. Cost well that is a real pain but well worth the investment.
And I 100% certain others have thought this one out. I know one guy who did. He ran a blade with chainsaw teeth on it. I showed him what I had done and he went to my engineer and got ons sorted.

l desperately need another pole saw, and am considering an echo out of US. l have extension pole saw atm thats like the stihl multi atachment system. Looking at the specs, the fiberglass extendable models seem a lot heavier on paper compared to the shaft attachment style units. My Solo is light, powerful and l want to keep it that way. But there are trade offs with both designs, would be interested to hear any opinions on the straight shaft models. Good thread Shaun!

Back