Echo saw fuel/oil mix

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R.Rowe

Reaction score
I have an Echo CS 451 VL chainsaw; factory specifies 20:1 ratio. While ordering parts at the local dealer I asked the Echo factory Rep. what ratio to use with Echo 50:1 oil. Rep. said to mix @ 50:1. I know the newer oils are better, but I don't want to find out that 50:1 is too lean. I've always used 2 cycle oil in qts. from the auto parts store (I think the factory spec. is for "quality 2 cycle oil") with the best gas I could buy at the pump & have had good results. Saw has had normal maintainance only, & cuts 8 to 10 ricks firewood (oak & hickory) per year. Your experience with this & any thoughts would be appreciated.

I have to assume that this is an older Echo saw, as I have never heard of it. I used to have some old equipment when the industry standards went to 50-1 ratio. I used the 50-1 oil, but mixed it 40-1 (2 gals gas instead of 2.5 gals). This may not be the perfect answer, but those old saws are not made of the same high-tech alloys as the new ones. I am sure one of these OLD-timers will have a better answer here shortly. :D
P.S I have always used Echo or Stihl 2-cycle oil, a little more money but worth it. Husky oil is great too.

Thanks for the advice. Will try 32:1 & post results. Tree, you're right about it being an older saw. Has "KIORITZ" on nameplate above ECHO. It was used when I got it several years ago, my guess is that it was built in late 70s (has point ignition & very little plastic). If any one knows when these saws were built, please post, I'd like to know. Still works great, & requires little attention. R.Rowe

save yoru self the head ache and get your self some syenthic 2 cycle oil. i use it and it works great and saves me form having 5 or 6 cans with different mixes in them. that type of oil will cover anything from 16:1 - 50:1. just tune all of your saws to it and it will be a time saver.

save yoru self the head ache and get your self some syenthic 2 cycle oil. i use it and it works great and saves me form having 5 or 6 cans with different mixes in them. that type of oil will cover anything from 16:1 - 50:1. just tune all of your saws to it and it will be a time saver.

Back