Echos in the woods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did, but it can be summed up in little to nothing.
Echo ran on few month old gas.

Stihl takes too long to start on old gas and cost too much.

Echo broke chain catcher under warranty.

Dealer no fix.

Mad at dealer, never go back again.

Bought new side cover, but Jerry rigged chain catcher on old cover and still run that.

Friend went to bad dealer and never go back again after bad experience.

Been divorced 3 times.

There was some stihl bashing in between, and attempt at humor with something is wrong with his echo since it started on gas that wasn't straight out of the pump.

Pretty much the cliff note version.
HEY MATE. HAHA

sean donato, If I read right, the OP said ( My translation) he remembers if stihls sit a length of time, they take more than a few pulls to fire up. 8-10.
maybe he bashed, maybe he didn't.

Then he took that info and kept at it with his Echo and it finally ran and ran enough to cut.

Then he bashed his dealer for warranty refusal on a damaged part.

I have bashed a dealer I used to buy string trimmers and chainsaw stuff from when the owner lied to me about not having service manuals for commercial Zero Turn mowers he sells and services. I said now c'mon, your techs don't have manuals? His reply, "Nope, we send them to school for a week."
I never went back, and took this as him saying that unless you spend the big bucks to let us wrench on your mower, then we aren't interested in showing you the electrical section for your model in order to help you diagnose the electrical issue.

My other dealer where I bought my first chainsaw, 1994 Stihl 026 on the other hand,,, " sure we have manuals, c'mon in and I can let you talk to a tech." Upon arrival, he got a nice tech, the guy not only tells me what to check for, citing that often a no spark scenario is a short to ground in a safety switch somewhere. he then xeroxed the entire electrical section for my mower and told me to disconnect a certain wire and if spark returned, it was confirmation of his experience.

This is how you create customer loyalty.

Not starting a fight but there is something bad wrong with my Echo cs 352 and it's only a few years old..
So, I got down in my back for a while and was not able to use a saw. In fact I let my cs 352 sit up a couple of months. When I checked it had almost half a tank of fuel and some bar oil. I wanted to cut some small trees and figured it had enough gas and oil so I put on my chaps and decided to try to start it..Sure I knew to pour the old fuel out but since I had mixed it myself using high octane Pure Gas and had added the right amount of Seafoam to the mix I decided to see IF I could run that old gas out..Of course we all know how foolish that is BUT sometimes I like to try foolish things..I'm the guy that was married 3 times before I learned marriage is not for me.. So since it has a primer bulb I pumped that a few times, set the choke and gave it a pull. Sure enough it DID not start..Well, I've ran enough Sthils so I just smiled and pulled again, it popped. Then I put it on half choke and gave it a 3rd pull, Danged if the pull rope didn't get almost all way out on that 3rd pull before it finally started. I remembered my 3 Sthil saws normally like 8 or 10 pulls when they've sat up so I decided there must be something bad wrong with this Echo saw. So.. I put it in the trailer and went to cut the small trees. I cut them and then cut some more and the saw was still burning that old gas but it was still running. I loaded the saw and drove to a downed pine tree. With that 14 inch bar I thought the saw would have to cut from one side then from the other so I put the bar into the wood. Like an old man would I cut deep from the top and brought the bar down and low. near the bottom as the log narrowed I saw the bar tip stick out the other side..It was almost cut in to. So then I cut a little from that side and rolled a block away. It was getting dark but I wanted to burn all of that old fuel so I kept cutting blocks. I got 3 or 4 before finally giving up for the day.. The saw was still running. Now it's in the barn. Tomorrow I will pour out what is left of the old fuel, sharpen the chain, and service the saw..Funny how those Echo saws just keep starting, running, and doing a good job. They are not speed demons but neither is a 75 year old man. We all know they are cheap saws and there's nothing like a good ole Sthil.. My brother a Sthil man would be ashamed to crank one of my Echos..He's right about one thing. You can toss a Sthil in the back of a truck drive like you've lost your mind down rough roads day after day and that saw will be there ready to work for you when you arrive. BUT, I'm not going to abuse my saws like that anyway. The cs352 I bought years ago must have had a factory flaw in the chain catch clutch cover because the flimsy chain catch snapped right off. It was a Cheap part but since I had just bought it I took it in for the good ole 5 year warranty. I was denied. I bought a new side cover on line but never installed it. Instead I super glued the small plastic part back on the side cover then hot melted (welded) some plastic reinforcement. It's never snapped off again. The cheesy dealer lost me over that. I hope I never have to buy from him again. I had bought 4 four saws in a short time and had told at least a Dozen people to buy from him. So recently a guy who knows me called. I told him DO NOT shop there. He went there anyway but soon he butted heads with the dealer and left for good according to him. He said he bought the newer cs3510. I've never seen his saw but he tells me it's a real good saw..I guess he's right. I keep saying something is bad wrong with mine it just starts to easy, cuts to good and is to light. So, I'll just keep it anyway.. I love it..Just like it is.. Sadly, none of my X wives felt that way. Ha. Ha. The last one seems to have love me now after she found herself old, lonely and along but that's another story for my "Lost romances" book. Just like this Echo saw love is in the eye of the beholder. Sometimes we look for something better when all the time we have something really good. Be blessed..
@ Wow

You say, "So since it has a primer bulb I pumped that a few times, set the choke and gave it a pull. Sure enough it DID not start..Well, I've ran enough Sthils so I just smiled and pulled again, it popped. Then I put it on half choke and gave it a 3rd pull, Danged if the pull rope didn't get almost all way out on that 3rd pull before it finally started. I remembered my 3 Sthil saws normally like 8 or 10 pulls when they've sat up so I decided there must be something bad wrong with this Echo saw. So.. I put it in the trailer and went to cut the small trees."

I operated lawn mowers and weed wackers since I was 10-12 years old. Bought my first Stihl power saw and new Echo String Trimmer @ 30 in 1994. Once my saw and trimmer hit 15 years old, they began to become unreliable. I took my trimmer to a buddy's uncle who rebuilt the carb and got it to work a few more years. My Stihl 026 was hard to start and gave poor running in the cuts, I decided it was time to research HOW to diagnose why saws run badly and even self destruct. These lessons also carried over to my Echo String trimmer of the same age since both were unreliable by this time.

Having said all this, I am inclined to advise you of a few things.

Most damaged small engines are caused by poor fuel. Either Straight gassing, or water present in old fuel/mix

Number 1: is to always use known good fuel and to never loan a saw to anyone.

Number 2:
Most other causes of engine failures are air leaks and dirt getting inside. Always have a Clean air filter and be clean when refueling. Often times people mistake saw issues as it needs a new carb, or this and that.

BUT air leaks are regularly overlooked when diagnosing why a saw has issues. Tight seals ensure a saw that has stable tuning and will prevent a lean condition on a properly tuned saw. excessive revs and piston damage come when air leaks cause lean conditions or permit dirt to enter the cylinder.
To assess the condition of your saw, I suggest to either check it yourself or to have a vacuum and pressure test done on the saw as well as the carb and fuel lines/filter. I have posted a number of videos on these tests elsewhere. DO a Search.

Number 3:

A dull chain is also hard on a saw. Keep sharp chains installed whenever cutting.

I"m an avid reader. I've watched people who SKIM read. IF they see something that catches their eye they stop, go back and read what they skimmed. I never woud have gotten my several degrees like that. I well remember how some of my Class Mates struggled with Volt Amp Reactance aka VARS. They were skim reading. I taught my 3 daughters to actually "Read" think, and consider what they read. Two of them are bi-lingual, have traveled abroad and teach both English and Spanish grammar. I did not own a TV nor an AC when they were children. I bought horses and told them to go outside, play and at night we read. Not fiction, but important information. I had rather "Read" than watch sports on TV, drink beer, belch and shout at some guy I don't know. I did take the time to learn to play the Piano, Guitar, and the drums. By age 16 I could operate Heavy Equipment, run almost any tool made and I liked helping the Vet castrate life stock and pulling calves. I learned how to give injections and administer meds too. I don't remember much about being a child since I grew up fast. I took the time to learn how to design and build boats as a learning project for my children. We had fun building 5 boats. I did take the time to learn how to build and sail my own sail boat. That's a blast. I took the time to learn how to fly small Air planes including an old Bi-wing, the world looks a lot different at 5,000 feet. During all that time, I read the KJV bible 4 times front to back, read some of it in Hebrew and Greek. I did get a ministers license and start a non-profit while all the time working in trees, running a lawn care business and enjoying the outdoors because loved exercising for my health. Rather than spending time in a smelly ole gym I studied different things. I got good at "Sign Language" and taught my children how to sign. I still have the book. I did buy land next to my farm, and my daughter lived rent free while I helped her raise her children. I did put her through nursing school and taught my grandsons how to read and study so they could do what ever they wanted to do in life.. In the good old KJV Bible, there's a scripture stating, "Study to show yourself approved, a workman that need not be ashamed. Lucky me, all of my grandsons turned out to be law abiding citizens and above average people. Recently, I saw one being interviewed on the local T.V. He's doing a great job at age 26 and making me proud. He grew up operating equipment with me. He knows how to run all of mine and loves the chainsaws too. Some people like to read and study, some don't. I have an entire library in my home. When one of my friends asked "does the rattle snake have the longest fangs?", I answered, No, "the Gaboon Viper does". His wife asked, "How do you know?". Before I could respond my friend replied. He loves to read. I also love to weld. I built a wonderful 120vac welder from salvaged microwave oven parts.. So,, well. It's O.K to not read, and it's O.K to read. I just can't function happily unless I do read and work. That's why I came to this sight. I find it's good reading.
Have a great day. I've got some reading to do before the sun comes up. If anyone is interested, just for fun, google, "Goats climb trees".
Blessings to all of you.

Attachments

• th-3136382944.jpg
    th-3136382944.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 0
It's perfectly readable. I'd paraphrase it, but it's just a lot of bragging and has zero substance.
We have a culture of self condemnation, self abasement, and a fear of self acknowledgement. Achievers are told to stand in the corner and hush. Many of the people in my counseling class are afraid to accomplish because others might condemn them. Much of this comes from the worship of the mythological Jewish War God who demands our worship and blood sacrifice. To state your accomplishments is not bragging. When you stick with the facts and have pride in what you do or have done that is commendable, that is not bragging. Part of my social volunteer work is to help people overcome their emotional self condemning lack of confidence mind set. The first thing I do is have them tell me about their achievements. Don't be ashamed to wear your badge of honor nor show your metals to the world. When we stop pushing the achievers to the ground just to make ourselves look taller and began to let their successes inspire us into becoming greate then, and only then will the world become a better place. Tell me about your achievements. You have them. Don't hide your awards, wear your metals and be proud of who you are and who you can become. Weren't the Goats amazing. Google, "spider tail snake" for a surprise. Mother God is amazing. Back to the subject, think about it, surely you can find something about your self that is truly amazing. Back to chainsaws. I spent many happy hours in the shop yesterday and last night. I found an easy way to make spot lights out regular 120volt LED bulbs. As I worked on saws last night, two spotlights provided light where I needed it not in my eyes. You simply remove the bulb from the base. The white part that screws into the droplight has all the electrical parts. The glass bulb is actually plastic and will come away from the base. Of course the bulb is NOT screwed into the power source while we work on it. A little nail polish remover (acetone) and a thin blade helped separate them. Now the bulb has no cover so I don't touch the inner parts where the exposed LED's are. I've not put a voltmeter on it but my guess is it's probably about 32 volts. While it might not kill, I suspect it might hurt to touch the inner parts . If anyone tries this do it at your own risk. I've ran Regular LED house current bulbs on my 100 watt inverter and the Lawn mower 12 volt battery. It's a good light when working in the woods after dark. Don't get it wet of the bulb part has been removed. The entire non altered bulb on a 12 volt battery is safer. The inverter takes 12vdc and makes a simulated 120vac to power the bulbs. That set up gives plenty of light. If anyone is interested, I've invented a good, cheap, easy to make hand cleaner out of what you probably have in the kitchen. Today is a new beginning. We've been gifted a new day. Not everyone will live through it. Those of us who do are truly blessed. Let us all enjoy today, it's a gift and it's awesome. Be blessed

I've had many achievements in my life, and feel no need to stand on top of a mountain and proclaim my greatness to the world. I don't walk around like a peacock puffing my chest or strutting about. Your last several posts you have done as much, you should really re-read the Bible and try to pay attention to the part about being a humble man. It would do you well.

I've had many achievements in my life, and feel no need to stand on top of a mountain and proclaim my greatness to the world. I don't walk around like a peacock puffing my chest or strutting about. Your last several posts you have done as much, you should really re-read the Bible and try to pay attention to the part about being a humble man. It would do you well.

The Subject is "READING". Not me..Lest not forget that..
If you have had many achievements, Lets assume YOU actually READ not skim read.. I simply told about a LOT of my achievements ALL OF THEM because I read and read well.. I do understand that a lot of people wish to defect and muddy the waters. BUT, lets get back to the SUBJECT.. Reading.. Do you read well? THEN, that's my point.. Are you proud of what you have accomplished BY having an education? That is my point.. I could have gone on and on about my accomplishment BUT, I gave a few examples and all of them WERE based upon READING and educating yourself.. As I used to tell my Students when it got like this.. "The Professor" just left the room. Have a great day. Make out of yourself what you wish. I know I did. Be blessed.

I love ya Wow but you need a few paragraph breaks.
I was writing an email to my boss tonight. It was about two short paragraphs dealing with a single subject. This kid was looking over my shoulder (I hate that but he's a smart kid) and he goes, he ain't gonna read all that. Depressing but true.

We have a culture of self condemnation, self abasement, and a fear of self acknowledgement. Achievers are told to stand in the corner and hush. Many of the people in my counseling class are afraid to accomplish because others might condemn them. Much of this comes from the worship of the mythological Jewish War God who demands our worship and blood sacrifice. To state your accomplishments is not bragging. When you stick with the facts and have pride in what you do or have done that is commendable, that is not bragging. Part of my social volunteer work is to help people overcome their emotional self condemning lack of confidence mind set. The first thing I do is have them tell me about their achievements. Don't be ashamed to wear your badge of honor nor show your metals to the world. When we stop pushing the achievers to the ground just to make ourselves look taller and began to let their successes inspire us into becoming greate then, and only then will the world become a better place. Tell me about your achievements. You have them. Don't hide your awards, wear your metals and be proud of who you are and who you can become. Weren't the Goats amazing. Google, "spider tail snake" for a surprise. Mother God is amazing. Back to the subject, think about it, surely you can find something about your self that is truly amazing. Back to chainsaws. I spent many happy hours in the shop yesterday and last night. I found an easy way to make spot lights out regular 120volt LED bulbs. As I worked on saws last night, two spotlights provided light where I needed it not in my eyes. You simply remove the bulb from the base. The white part that screws into the droplight has all the electrical parts. The glass bulb is actually plastic and will come away from the base. Of course the bulb is NOT screwed into the power source while we work on it. A little nail polish remover (acetone) and a thin blade helped separate them. Now the bulb has no cover so I don't touch the inner parts where the exposed LED's are. I've not put a voltmeter on it but my guess is it's probably about 32 volts. While it might not kill, I suspect it might hurt to touch the inner parts . If anyone tries this do it at your own risk. I've ran Regular LED house current bulbs on my 100 watt inverter and the Lawn mower 12 volt battery. It's a good light when working in the woods after dark. Don't get it wet of the bulb part has been removed. The entire non altered bulb on a 12 volt battery is safer. The inverter takes 12vdc and makes a simulated 120vac to power the bulbs. That set up gives plenty of light. If anyone is interested, I've invented a good, cheap, easy to make hand cleaner out of what you probably have in the kitchen. Today is a new beginning. We've been gifted a new day. Not everyone will live through it. Those of us who do are truly blessed. Let us all enjoy today, it's a gift and it's awesome. Be blessed

I believe you meant "wear your medals..." instead of "metals" but I could be mistaken. Please enlighten.

Mike

Back