Edge milling with 026

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jumpsuit

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
The 026 (48 cc) is just barely smaller than the manufacturer’s suggested minimum engine (56 cc). Granberg edging mill G555. Is anyone using an 026 for smaller cants, and how do you feel about it?

If you can get a Lopro chain and sprocket I reckon it could it could be used on (very) small cants.
I've used a plastic bodied 50cc Homelite to mill up to 5ft long and 12" wide stuff.
With the Lopro you could probably go to 16"? in soft woods.
Sharp chain, proper tuning and take it easy.

Hello Bob thanks for your replies as always. I have been fairly inactive over the last several years but I have a chance to do some milling again and on a greater volume than previously. I think I will try out the old 026 that's coming to me as it will be, let me put this, no collector's saw. However if it doesn't do what I want I'm thinking of getting a 70 cc saw for the edging mill. Using the rebuilt 051 so far on my main mill and in 20" wood she's a dream. By the way, I took the rakers down (to .045ish) as you have always suggested and I like the feel in the cut. The finish on the slabs is really nice too.

My father and I have used his Husky 55 (18") on the Granburg, it just sliced through the wood with no problems.

The 026 (48 cc) is just barely smaller than the manufacturer’s suggested minimum engine (56 cc). Granberg edging mill G555. Is anyone using an 026 for smaller cants, and how do you feel about it?
Ive used my 260 for edging on a Granberg edger several times, but only when I'm pulling two to four inches of wood when squaring off the sides of counter and bar tops. It handles that thickness no problem with a properly tuned chain as long as you keep your revs up with a good load on the power head. It rips that thickness plenty fast! Any thicker than four is to much for the little saw. Even five inches is to much! Ripping six inches with a 026 or 260 over loads the saw and just causing slow death to you power head not to mention very slow production in my honest opinion! It all depends on how fast you want to travel through the wood! Hope this info helps bud. 👍

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware!

Back