Educate me on Dolmar 115i

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dustincoc

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Long time, no login(2014). Amazed my login still worked.

Found a Dolmar 115i in the recycling stream at work(recycling plant.) It was missing a sparkplug, but when replaced, it started right up on the old gas that was in the tank and ran great. It even idles for extended times.

So far, I've replaced the sparkplug and run another tank of 50:1 fuel through it. It's fuel hungry(20 minutes to a tank). I didn't sharpen the chain(which seems new, or at least hasn't been sharpened much)or anything. It does cut slightly crooked, but that could be operator error, as this was the first time I've run a saw in a couple years(my father gets the firewood cut when I'm at work). As to the task at hand, I was spitting/ripping up knotty chunks of pine that we're using for firewood. It didn't like to cut down the grain, but when ripping the grain, it threw so many chips the chain was throwing them forward as the discharge on the bottom couldn't keep up.

The saw's existence confuses me, as Stihl and Husqvarna are the brands around here, along with the el cheap big box brands. Never even seen another Dolmar around.

As I've run a tank of non-ethanol fuel through it, until it stalled, the saw will be put up for the year, or at least until needed. It runs better than any of the saws I've got, although my father did just buy a Husqvarna this year that he's using. Definitely a better runner than any of the saws I have, although I'll admit all were bought used, and I'm not much of a small engine mechanic(2 cycle especially), and I seemingly can't learn, having attempted to little success for years. The pile of crappily running old saws attests to that. I'd especially like to get one of the top handles running reliably, as I prefer them for limbing, but so far no luck.

As this is a larger saw than we normally run(We're running 39-40cc saws, this ones 54.xcc), it's getting put up for bigger jobs. The tank of non-ethanol fuel run through it until stall should hopefully be enough to prevent carb issues until the next time I need it. Unless winter conditions result in MANY downed trees(i.e. ice storm '98) the saw likely won't be getting used until next summer or further out.

Long time, no login(2014). Amazed my login still worked.

Found a Dolmar 115i in the recycling stream at work(recycling plant.) It was missing a sparkplug, but when replaced, it started right up on the old gas that was in the tank and ran great. It even idles for extended times.

So far, I've replaced the sparkplug and run another tank of 50:1 fuel through it. It's fuel hungry(20 minutes to a tank). I didn't sharpen the chain(which seems new, or at least hasn't been sharpened much)or anything. It does cut slightly crooked, but that could be operator error, as this was the first time I've run a saw in a couple years(my father gets the firewood cut when I'm at work). As to the task at hand, I was spitting/ripping up knotty chunks of pine that we're using for firewood. It didn't like to cut down the grain, but when ripping the grain, it threw so many chips the chain was throwing them forward as the discharge on the bottom couldn't keep up.

The saw's existence confuses me, as Stihl and Husqvarna are the brands around here, along with the el cheap big box brands. Never even seen another Dolmar around.

As I've run a tank of non-ethanol fuel through it, until it stalled, the saw will be put up for the year, or at least until needed. It runs better than any of the saws I've got, although my father did just buy a Husqvarna this year that he's using. Definitely a better runner than any of the saws I have, although I'll admit all were bought used, and I'm not much of a small engine mechanic(2 cycle especially), and I seemingly can't learn, having attempted to little success for years. The pile of crappily running old saws attests to that. I'd especially like to get one of the top handles running reliably, as I prefer them for limbing, but so far no luck.
Keep reading here and you will learn how to turn and repair. Great site for knowledge,😁

Hey Dustin, I'm over north of Gouvernuer/Black Lake. Sachs Dolmar/Dolmar was fairly big in our area back in the 90's/early 2000's. Great, professional grade saws. I also have a 115, I run all my stuff at 40-1 with a good mix oil. Parts for the 115 can be a pain to find, but if you learn to haunt Ebay you can find about anything. They have a small tank, so "fuel hungry" is relative to other saws. If I can be of help, let me know.

The only parts my 115 SD`s have required are the hollow rubber AV mounts, they have become more difficult to find on this side of the big pond, the last ones I sourced came from Israel. So I bought a dozen just to have spares for the 5 I have hanging around.

Keep reading here and you will learn how to turn and repair. Great site for knowledge,😁
Been around a bit, since ~2008 as I recall, when I spent a few months cutting firewood/logging for a living. Not much involvement since as I have no need for chainsaws in my normal life, renting from my parents and my father gets the wood cut while I'm at work.
Hey Dustin, I'm over north of Gouvernuer/Black Lake. Sachs Dolmar/Dolmar was fairly big in our area back in the 90's/early 2000's. Great, professional grade saws. I also have a 115, I run all my stuff at 40-1 with a good mix oil. Parts for the 115 can be a pain to find, but if you learn to haunt Ebay you can find about anything. They have a small tank, so "fuel hungry" is relative to other saws. If I can be of help, let me know.
This saw might have even come out of your trash..... I work for Casella's recycling plant in Parishville. . As is, my plan is to keep this saw in reserve for the big jobs. With the way this winter seems to be going, It might get a lot of use.
The only parts my 115 SD`s have required are the hollow rubber AV mounts, they have become more difficult to find on this side of the big pond, the last ones I sourced came from Israel. So I bought a dozen just to have spares for the 5 I have hanging around.
Given how they're constructed, I'd likely be able to improvise something if needed.

This saw might have even come out of your trash..... I work for Casella's recycling plant in Parishville. . As is, my plan is to keep this saw in reserve for the big jobs. With the way this winter seems to be going, It might get a lot of use.
Come on guy! Do I look like the kind of guy that would THROW OUT a CHAINSAW?!!!!!! ;)

I've had a 115i since 1989, I've changed some of the rubber mounts, fuel line and tank vent over 10 years ago. This year I broke the gas cap so got a replacement. Got it home and put some fuel in it as I love using this saw, but the fuel leaked out onto the bench. So my tank vent is toast again, looks like they are still available and I will get a fuel line while I'm at it. But this saw has served me well over the years, My saw also has the "extra" sticker on it, I was told this indicated an extra piston ring. Not sure how accurate this is. I do know I've never adjusted the carb since new. I also got a newer model from about 2008 which I haven't used all that much, but it's after the Makita take over and it shows.
It does have a small gas tank.

Dolmar 115 was quite popular in this side of the world during the 90s, now I have stock of brand new spares and could be a chance that 115 spares are still available ( but very very long stock in warehouse). PM me, maybe you will find the original Dolmar spare part! :)

Come on guy! Do I look like the kind of guy that would THROW OUT a CHAINSAW?!!!!!! ;)
Im always looking for dolmars. Currently trying to find intake gaskets for my ps540. I know there was a dolmar dealer in the harrisville area years ago but have been unable to find him... know anything about him? Im in lisbon btw

I have the Makita 520i equivalent. 18” with 3/8 low profile. Similar to the 026 pro in power and weight. Great saw. Got it dirt cheap at auction. A favorite at my house.

I have the Makita 520i equivalent. 18” with 3/8 low profile. Similar to the 026 pro in power and weight. Great saw. Got it dirt cheap at auction. A favorite at my house.
Shhhh theyre a pretty good secret... im not sure ive ever paid more than 80 bucks for the handful i own. I think most look at em and if they dont say stihl or husky on em, just assume theyre a craftsman or wild thing from the 80s. I ported a ps540 and it runs right up with an 036 in most places. Light dealer presence in the states is both a curse and a blessing for those that enjoy the quality of dolmar saws.

Back