ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Eeeee Bay

TheBrushSlasher

TheBrushSlasher

I have chainsaws and chainsaw accessories.
But EBay needs an ‘ignore seller’ feature.

Weed out the scoundrels peddling obvious landfill salvage.

For example:

Every saw that person sells is vintage, even the plastic poulans are vintage 🤣

xl130

xl130

ArboristSite Operative
The item description is copy paste for every item. “Purchased at estate sale. Interested old saw.Don’t know much about the item don’t ask me about it etc”…. Some garbage like that. I’d definitely prefer the over the top nice seller 😀

muddstopper

muddstopper

Addicted to ArboristSite
Been doing a little shopping on ebay lately. Since I bought a lathe and mill, I have been trying to gather up enough tools to actually do a little work. I prefer the buy it now listings, but I find most of the time those are a little over priced for the good stuff. Actual bidding can be fustrating as well as a little funny. For one thing, I honestly believe the sellers are bidding against you. They list something with starting bid of $9.95, if you bid that $9.95 minimum bid, the high bid will automaticly jump past your bid to the next lowest acceptable bid. Now the chance of two people bidding at the same time I think is pretty slim. I know ebay will let you post a bid number higher than what ever the minimum bid is and will automaticly bid for you, which is what I think the seller is doing, he starts the minimum bid but has ebay bidding for him up to a set amount. I recently managed to win a couple of auctions which is where I became a little amused. I had watched the items for about 5 or 6 days and the bidding was dead. Nobody was bidding the minimum. So I waited until there was 10 sec left and posted what I figured would be the most I was willing to pay. Well one item jumps from $9.95 to To my winning bid of $36.00 in 10 sec. Another I waited until that last 10 sec and placed my max bid of $40 and the item sold for $56. Both items hadnt had a single bid until that last 10sec of auction time. Hard to figure out what others are doing or their bidding strategy, but I can just see some other old fart sitting on their recliner waiting to those last few seconds to place their bids. I bet most like me are surprised when they get beat, especially when they bid a number way bigger than the minimum bid and think they had a sure thing.

muddstopper

muddstopper

Addicted to ArboristSite
Snipping software/app. Puts in your max bid in the last five or ten seconds.
I have heard of the snipping software, havent used it. I usually just check the time bidding stops and log on when it gets close. I put my maximum bid amount and just wait until the seconds run down and hit bid. Lose more than I win, but even if I was using the snipping software, my maximum bid amount wouldnt change so I wouldnt win the auction anyways. Like everybody else bidding, I am looking for bargains so I am not bidding to win, I am bidding hopeing to get a bargain. cant cry when I lose, and think its funny when I get outbid. I know my bid, even tho I didnt win, just ran some other poor soul price up, very much like their high bid ran my winning bids up. Just dont into it thinking your going to win the item for pennies over the starting bid, set a max bid you can live with and take the wins with the loses.

67L36Driver

67L36Driver

Tree Freak
It can backfire.

I was watching a really nice looking Olympyk 264 and attempted to run the price up another dollar or so. Inadvertently thumbed $5 and won the bid.

So then l had three Olympyk 264’s. [emoji2960]

Still have it as it’s a clean very low hour runner. Sold the other two. [emoji106]

esshup

esshup

Addicted to ArboristSite

Yep, that's my guess too. I used to use one when I wasn't able to get to a computer when I needed to, but when their fees got higher I stopped using them. I'll just either bid early and put in the max bid or wait for the last 5 seconds and take my chances. When internet was more unreliable here, that's when the snipping software comes in handy. Quite a number of auctions I lost when the bid didn't go thru when I pushed send.

muddstopper

muddstopper

Addicted to ArboristSite

Yep, that's my guess too. I used to use one when I wasn't able to get to a computer when I needed to, but when their fees got higher I stopped using them. I'll just either bid early and put in the max bid or wait for the last 5 seconds and take my chances. When internet was more unreliable here, that's when the snipping software comes in handy. Quite a number of auctions I lost when the bid didn't go thru when I pushed send.
I loss a lot of auctions back when I had dialup. I have managed to place bids in the last 6sec but that doesnt mean anything if someone is letting ebay automaticly bid for them. Ebay will bid up to what ever their max bid is and if theirs is higher than yours, well then they win. I have several items in my watch list right now. They have been up for several days and I see lots of bidders already running the price up. I have found that the larger sellers usually have more competition for items. I usually search for what ever I am looking for, pick one that has few bids and is close to ending. Seems I can get the item at much lower prices than a similar item from a big dealer. I dont know if its coincidence or I'm just luckier at certain times.

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Loving the Ignore Feature
I have heard of the snipping software, havent used it. I usually just check the time bidding stops and log on when it gets close. I put my maximum bid amount and just wait until the seconds run down and hit bid. Lose more than I win, but even if I was using the snipping software, my maximum bid amount wouldnt change so I wouldnt win the auction anyways. Like everybody else bidding, I am looking for bargains so I am not bidding to win, I am bidding hopeing to get a bargain. cant cry when I lose, and think its funny when I get outbid. I know my bid, even tho I didnt win, just ran some other poor soul price up, very much like their high bid ran my winning bids up. Just dont into it thinking your going to win the item for pennies over the starting bid, set a max bid you can live with and take the wins with the loses.
That's what I used to do, when I had to bid on something, like a OOAK vintage whatever.
But now I have too many vintage whatevers
Whatever I buy now, I go straight to the filters and select: US only, 500 miles from my zip code, then Buy it Now.
Then I sort Lowest Price First and go through the list. If I find something I check their feedback, then save to my watched list.
Then I think about it for a day or two to decide if I really need it. :laugh:
If they have a Make an Offer option I always offer 25%-30% less than their starting bid. More than half the time they accept. If not they make a counter offer, I make a counter offer and we eventually meet in the middle and I buy it.

muddstopper

muddstopper

Addicted to ArboristSite
That's what I used to do, when I had to bid on something, like a OOAK vintage whatever.
But now I have too many vintage whatevers
Whatever I buy now, I go straight to the filters and select: US only, 500 miles from my zip code, then Buy it Now.
Then I sort Lowest Price First and go through the list. If I find something I check their feedback, then save to my watched list.
Then I think about it for a day or two to decide if I really need it. :laugh:
If they have a Make an Offer option I always offer 25%-30% less than their starting bid. More than half the time they accept. If not they make a counter offer, I make a counter offer and we eventually meet in the middle and I buy it.
If I am wanting something now, I use the buy it now. Mostly what I am looking for are tooling for my mill and lathe. I can find a lot of china stuff new at the buy it now priceing, but if I seach the regular auctions, I can find quality used tooling of brand name for around the same price as the new china junk. Buying machinery is the cheap part, its the tooling that breaks the bank. Biggest thing is to not get in a hurry. Since my machines are for my hobby use, I dont have to be in a hurry. I get a bunch of stuff in my watch list and then just wait on the ending times. My wife keeps asking me why my phone alarm keeps going off in the middle of the day. I set the alarm for 30 min before the end time which gives me enough time to get in the house and log on, set my bid amount and be setting on ready as the clock winds down. Some times it works out, and some times it dont. My next auctions end tomorrow and there is one item I will be bidding a big number on. Its already about half of my maximum bid number and I havent placed a bid yet. Those old farts keep running it up.

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Loving the Ignore Feature
If I am wanting something now, I use the buy it now. Mostly what I am looking for are tooling for my mill and lathe. I can find a lot of china stuff new at the buy it now priceing, but if I seach the regular auctions, I can find quality used tooling of brand name for around the same price as the new china junk. Buying machinery is the cheap part, its the tooling that breaks the bank. Biggest thing is to not get in a hurry. Since my machines are for my hobby use, I dont have to be in a hurry. I get a bunch of stuff in my watch list and then just wait on the ending times. My wife keeps asking me why my phone alarm keeps going off in the middle of the day. I set the alarm for 30 min before the end time which gives me enough time to get in the house and log on, set my bid amount and be setting on ready as the clock winds down. Some times it works out, and some times it dont. My next auctions end tomorrow and there is one item I will be bidding a big number on. Its already about half of my maximum bid number and I havent placed a bid yet. Those old farts keep running it up.
Same here - when bidding, I only bid once - like you I put in my bid and hover my cursor over the Place Bid tab, let it go down to 5-6 seconds - then click!
I check the other bidders feedback, if it's low I know their rookies and won't think of doing what I'm doing. :laughing:

Franny K

Franny K

xyz
Any one else when they have a bid in on something go to that listing in a different brouser not signed in and check out your last months history. Buyers appear as wxxxy or maybe 4xxx6 if I recall and find there is no way what shows is your last months history? The auction style listings seem a real small fraction of what I am looking for lately.

Anyone remember the good old days when you could actually see the user name of who you were bidding against and what else they were bidding on.