ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Eeeee Bay

Brushwacker

Brushwacker

Addicted to ArboristSite
I don't understand why ebay is trying to sell you 50 or more items you didn't click on to look at when you are interested in 1 other item you did click on. It used to be simple shopping, now you have to skim through a ton of soliciting and strain to read discriptions, feedback etc..
If you don't have a computer at home you can print on, returns are a pain as well as getting receipts.

cookies

cookies

ArboristSite Guru
Ebay has gone to shlt over the last couple years. Their fees are too high, they offer 0 seller protections, auto buying bots to run up prices, chinese trash peddlers being allowed to falsely claim being a us seller, sellers that never ship or ship you trash instead of functional, idiots looking for illegal things that try to return after they get whats actually listed, crazy high shipping on everything. Its usefulness is quickly falling behind its burden of use.

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Loving the Ignore Feature
Ebay has gone to shlt over the last couple years. Their fees are too high, they offer 0 seller protections, auto buying bots to run up prices, chinese trash peddlers being allowed to falsely claim being a us seller, sellers that never ship or ship you trash instead of functional, idiots looking for illegal things that try to return after they get whats actually listed, crazy high shipping on everything. Its usefulness is quickly falling behind its burden of use.
I agree.

muddstopper

muddstopper

Addicted to ArboristSite
I can certainly agree with the high ass shipping charges. I factor the shipping into my bid and then they have to add sales tax. I always check the products new prices before I bid. I aint paying full price for used stuff. I want it at least 50% off new and sometimes that aint low enough. I am high bidder right now on a product (less than $50) that list for over $200 new. Auction ends in 2 hrs. I bid all I am going to bid and will probably be out bid before its over. One of those deals I will take if I win, but wont lose any sleep if I lose. Not my normal bidding practice, but this one isnt worth watching for the next two hours.

Bobby Kirbos

Bobby Kirbos

Scrounger of Cellulose Based BTUs
Use eSnipe. Put in the max price you are willing to pay, and wait for the email telling you that you won or lost.

Don't get sucked in to the bidding wars. If an auction ends up there, items usually go for WAY more than they're worth. Let someone else think they won it, then stomp their hopes and dreams in the last 6 seconds, without giving them the time to bid again.

As for my high price, I never bid a nice round number. $50... I bid $51.78 I'll always be just a bit higher than somone who bid $51, or even $51.75 Also, if a $50 bid is recorded before my $50 bid, the 1st bid wins. I can afford the extra $1.78.

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Use eSnipe. Put in the max price you are willing to pay, and wait for the email telling you that you won or lost.

Don't get sucked in to the bidding wars. If an auction ends up there, items usually go for WAY more than they're worth. Let someone else think they won it, then stomp their hopes and dreams in the last 6 seconds, without giving them the time to bid again.

As for my high price, I never bid a nice round number. $50... I bid $51.78 I'll always be just a bit higher than somone who bid $51, or even $51.75 Also, if a $50 bid is recorded before my $50 bid, the 1st bid wins. I can afford the extra $1.78.
Yup, that was exactly my strategy, too. :laugh:

esshup

esshup

Addicted to ArboristSite
Shipping costs are getting stupid expensive now. So, that has to be passed on or some items will be sold just for the shipping costs if it's free shipping. Some I have to wonder how they are getting such a low shipping price because I sure can't get that price!

Not e-bay but I have had some people from 800 miles away order a $3.00 fish and expect me to ship it to them for nothing. They freak out when I tell them what the actual next day by noon shipping price is plus my cost for insulated container, cold packs, 2 plastic bags and cardboard box. It takes me an hour and 10 minutes to drive to the UPS store, and I'm supposed to eat the mileage and labor? Sorry, I think not.

muddstopper

muddstopper

Addicted to ArboristSite
I like the local small auctions also. I get a kick out of some of the bidders. They get carried away and will often pay more than they could of bought the product new at wally world. Getting to be the same way at the local flea markets. Wally world junk selling for as much or more than it would cost just to go to the store. Every now and then you can find a bargain, but I have pretty much stopped going to flea markets. Used to be antiques and old stuff you just dont see anymore. Now days, the vendors are buying lots of store returns and asking full price for them.

I was right about the ebay item I bid on. I bid $46 and it sold for $85. New one is a little over $100. My next item on my watch list sells today and is currently $50, a new one is about $250. Starrett measureing tools are expensive. I can buy a new Chinese one for $68. Anyways, I have set myself a maximum bid amount I am willing to pay, I will wait until the last few seconds to enter my bid, I figure it will exceed my maximum before the ending time, but I still think its fun just to run the bid up even if I dont win. I dont bid on stuff I dont want or need, so if I win, I am satisfied. If I lose,, well there is always another one listed I can try for.

muddstopper

muddstopper

Addicted to ArboristSite
Well, got lucky tonite. Just bought a Starrett inside micrometer set for $51. New sales for $353. I had $49 as my high bid, but with 20 sec to go the bidding jumped to 50 bucks. I got my $51 bid in with 3 sec to go. Several sets listed right now with bidding as high as $100. Most have a bunch bidding on them. This one only had 4 others bidding it. Now as long as item is as advertised, I will have gotten a bargain.

muddstopper

muddstopper

Addicted to ArboristSite
Waited all week to bid on a lot of 1 2 3 blocks, paralles, vblocks, angles, and a bunch of other odds and ends. I decided at the start I would go to $125, which seems high for a bunch of metal, until you price it out new. Bidding got hot the last few days and there was another similar lot selling at the same time. I set my maximum at $50 on that one. When it came time for the auction to end, I opened two windows and typed in my max bids on both items. With 30 sec to go I entered my $50 bid for the one item and then went to my large item and entered my $125 bid on the that one. Well the second item I won at $105, the first item I lost by $1. I didnt really want to win both auctions, but I did want to win one of them. I think I am done with ebay for a while, I won several small auctions and got a few bargains and I lost more than I won. I am pretty well set on tooling, not everything I want, but enough to actually make a few chips. I will have to wait on buying some measureing tools. I have some, but need a few dial indicators. Going hunting in a few more weeks so I probably wont even look on ebay until after Thanksgiving.

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Waited all week to bid on a lot of 1 2 3 blocks, paralles, vblocks, angles, and a bunch of other odds and ends. I decided at the start I would go to $125, which seems high for a bunch of metal, until you price it out new. Bidding got hot the last few days and there was another similar lot selling at the same time. I set my maximum at $50 on that one. When it came time for the auction to end, I opened two windows and typed in my max bids on both items. With 30 sec to go I entered my $50 bid for the one item and then went to my large item and entered my $125 bid on the that one. Well the second item I won at $105, the first item I lost by $1. I didnt really want to win both auctions, but I did want to win one of them. I think I am done with ebay for a while, I won several small auctions and got a few bargains and I lost more than I won. I am pretty well set on tooling, not everything I want, but enough to actually make a few chips. I will have to wait on buying some measureing tools. I have some, but need a few dial indicators. Going hunting in a few more weeks so I probably wont even look on ebay until after Thanksgiving.
Congratulations!
What's the shipping going to cost for all that metal?

USPS initiated their holiday season shipping price increase on 10/3.
I like the new PM general and what he's accomplished so far, but I don't see how this idea can be good. Raising prices at Christmas? Sounds like something Scrooge would do. :(
A padded FR envelope went from $8.55 to $9.30. :surprised3:

Looks like everything went up about $1

Gift cards this year, for sure.