Egg mystery

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last week, I went out to check on the eggs, as the collection has been sparse this winter, and I find a couple of these monsters. Our chickens pretty much roam all over the place, but their eggs are usually medium size brownish eggs, and these 2 monsters are white and huge. They were in the favorite nesting box that the girls mostly use.
What are the odds that we have a couple traveling ducks or geese dropping by to leave their eggs?
We have a new neighbor across the road that has a wide range of birds, could they be coming down the hill and across the road?
Here are the first two next to one of the regulars. I went out again today, and another 2 huge ones were in the box from yesterday.
big.jpg

Ducks normally nest on the ground and do not keep a very tidy house. They also do not like you stealing their eggs and will fine another place to nest if you do. As chickens age they produce larger (but fewer) eggs. Your girls are probably just getting older or someone is playing a really good gag on you.

It is the fairy or witch eggs you need to avoid as they are bad juju. Got 2 last year and what a disaster 2020 turned out to be.

The legend of the cock egg - Murano Chicken Farm

Ducks normally nest on the ground and do not keep a very tidy house. They also do not like you stealing their eggs and will fine another place to nest if you do. As chickens age they produce larger (but fewer) eggs. Your girls are probably just getting older or someone is playing a really good gag on you.

It is the fairy or witch eggs you need to avoid as they are bad juju. Got 2 last year and what a disaster 2020 turned out to be.

The legend of the cock egg - Murano Chicken Farm
cock egg?
Sounds like a sex toy!!!

They favor the top two boxes, which are @ 4 foot off the ground.
I cracked one of the eggs this morning and fried it, no double yolk or anything, just a big assed egg.

{Literally}....
I doubt it’s a duck then. Did it have a different texture than usual when you ate it?

My chickens slow down when the days get short, and start picking back up about now. I get double yolkers once in a while.
We get double yolkers several times a week. The chickens are about one year old. Also, they lay year around. Depends what breeds you have. We have 4 breeds that are all Rhode island red crosses. We don't heat our coop either. We supplement light during the winter to continue stimulating the laying. We give them 14 hrs of light a day. 18 chickens and on the average we get 16 a day. Even when it's -20 to -30.
We have chickens in rotation each year so others produce while others are molting.

We get double yolkers several times a week. The chickens are about one year old. Also, they lay year around. Depends what breeds you have. We have 4 breeds that are all Rhode island red crosses. We don't heat our coop either. We supplement light during the winter to continue stimulating the laying. We give them 14 hrs of light a day. 18 chickens and on the average we get 16 a day. Even when it's -20 to -30.
We have chickens in rotation each year so others produce while others are molting.
Yeah, we only have 10, 8 of which are some form of rhode island reds, 2 of the barred rock. They are all getting old, most are on retirement or some form of disability, so our egg production is real light. Also, they love to sneak off in the garage and lay a few, so the only eggs I think about using are the ones in the nesting boxes. The larger double yolked eggs, usually have a irregularity of the shell, like something I would have made in shop class.

Back