Eggs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah the price dropped a lot recently. We're right at $3.00 dozen, but feed prices dropped almost $1.00 per 50lbs at the mill. Since I got feed last month so we'll be a little cheaper. We're also up to 18 eggs a day on average. Least we got in the past 2 weeks was 14, and 2 days we got 20. The rest of the week we've been getting 15 or 16 a day. Thought it was pretty good for 22 birds.
Rule of thumb is one egg per hen per day.

Rule of thumb is one egg per hen per day.
That is pretty much the standard but of course over long periods does not always hold true.. Of course some come darn close. In general an egg every 25-27 hrs under great conditions so you might miss a day every 10-14 days.. There are some at 300/yr . I am not sure about the large commercial guys

IMG_20230315_141500198_HDR.jpg

Hatched these out last night , 10 out of 24 eggs, 6 did not make it put of the egg the others duds I am having a fit with the new bater some were stuck to the shell some could not peck through. I had the humidity at 70 to 75 the last 4 days. 50 to 60 the rest of the time temp 37.9 c any ideas would help thanks David

View attachment 1066503

Hatched these out last night , 10 out of 24 eggs, 6 did not make it put of the egg the others duds I am having a fit with the new bater some were stuck to the shell some could not peck through. I had the humidity at 70 to 75 the last 4 days. 50 to 60 the rest of the time temp 37.9 c any ideas would help thanks David
I see 3 hens, the rest look like roosters

I have not had much success hatching. What method were you using to rotate them. I had a high end unit with a auto turner but for it to work you had to have 100% uniform sized eggs. If not you got a bad rotation and they would stick. They ole hens know just when to rotate them

I see 3 hens, the rest look like roosters
looking at their feet I have 6 hens out of 10 The hens have black or dark feet males feet are lighter color
I have not had much success hatching. What method were you using to rotate them. I had a high end unit with a auto turner but for it to work you had to have 100% uniform sized eggs. If not you got a bad rotation and they would stick. They ole hens know just when to rotate them
Mine has an automatic turner each egg in its own holder they rotate from side to side I will get a pic of it in 21 days I put another clutch in last night
turns every 2 hours will hold up to 96 eggs I have it covered to keep heat in, I am thinking I did not get the humidity up high enough the last rew days

They are Dominque's We always call them Domineckers ,Al the older folks did whin I was just a chap. They are one of if not the oldest breed in the US Settlers heading west took them as they forage well and you dont need to feed them a lot. In 1970 there were only 2 flocks left in the whole country. Lots of folks call them bared rock bared rocks have different feathers and a high floppy comb Domineckers have a low rose comb so you dont worry about the comb getting frost bite in the winter. They lay medium large brown eggs
https://www.heritageacresmarket.com/dominique-chicken/

Well, my birds have been free ranging for 2 weeks. Egg production is about 3 eggs per day. Maybe 4 or maybe 1, but 3 mostly, an improvment, but still not the best considering 9 hens. I do believe I have a couple hens that lay sproatic because the eggs are different shape and color. There is also the possibility that they all might not be laying in their nest, altho I havent found any outside nest yet. I kind of suspect all the rain we have been having might also be slowing down production. Birds seem to prefer inside the coop when its raining. I removed the lights this week, so all they light they get now is natural sunlight. I was using the led grow lights and I needed them to start seeds in my shed. I think when the weather clears up I am going to build a run to keep them out of my yard. There is plenty of wooded area I can fence in and it will keep the little white turds out of my grass. Yea, its good fertilizer, but I dont like scrapeing poo off my shoes everytime I go outside. My biggest concern about fenceing the woods is birds flying up in trees at night instead of going back to the coop.

Well, my birds have been free ranging for 2 weeks. Egg production is about 3 eggs per day. Maybe 4 or maybe 1, but 3 mostly, an improvment, but still not the best considering 9 hens. I do believe I have a couple hens that lay sproatic because the eggs are different shape and color. There is also the possibility that they all might not be laying in their nest, altho I havent found any outside nest yet. I kind of suspect all the rain we have been having might also be slowing down production. Birds seem to prefer inside the coop when its raining. I removed the lights this week, so all they light they get now is natural sunlight. I was using the led grow lights and I needed them to start seeds in my shed. I think when the weather clears up I am going to build a run to keep them out of my yard. There is plenty of wooded area I can fence in and it will keep the little white turds out of my grass. Yea, its good fertilizer, but I dont like scrapeing poo off my shoes everytime I go outside. My biggest concern about fenceing the woods is birds flying up in trees at night instead of going back to the coop.

My mechanic used to work at a chicken farm. He's told me there is a method of shocking the hen's physiology into producing eggs at higher volume. Basically, the way I understood it, you starve them for about a month, just giving them water or very limited rations, and there might be something about the temperature as well. Of course, that was for a very large, scientifically managed farm. I think he said they were hauling off semi-truckloads of eggs every day.

You might want to look it up. I am certain that the chicken farms do it, 'cause I know he wasn't making it up. Finding that information and implementing it might take some work.

My mechanic used to work at a chicken farm. He's told me there is a method of shocking the hen's physiology into producing eggs at higher volume. Basically, the way I understood it, you starve them for about a month, just giving them water or very limited rations, and there might be something about the temperature as well. Of course, that was for a very large, scientifically managed farm. I think he said they were hauling off semi-truckloads of eggs every day.

You might want to look it up. I am certain that the chicken farms do it, 'cause I know he wasn't making it up. Finding that information and implementing it might take some work.
(see above)

My Wife proved with out a doubt she has better aim than I do. The Rooster was back to his old tricks of sneaking up behind and flogging the back of your legs. Little did he know the wife was ready for him. The rooster charged and she slung a old flag pole. Caught him in the back of the head. Wife came in the house and says, I killed the rooster. Me thinking great, now I got to clean a chicken. I went out and that rooster was stretched out like a possum that didnt make it across the road. Well, I picked him up and was a bout to tell the wife to start heating some water when I noticed one of his eyes move. Then he wiggled a little bit and then went back out cold. So I carried him back to the coop and laid him on the floor. His feet hit the ground and he commenced to flapping and running out of the coop. I guess he gets to live for another day. I found out this week that the folks I got the rooster from have a young boy that tends the chickens. It seems that young boy like to make the rooster fight and would keep them stirred up all the time when he went to feed. Seems his mom aint to happy about it either and has been having to take a stick with her when see heads to the chicken pen. Anyways, she can handle the boy and I will take care of my rooster, eat him if I have to.

Averaging 4 eggs a day most days, feed and water consumption way down, eggs taste better and have better texture. still looking to swap some birds out, but not quite ready to head to the sales.

My Wife proved with out a doubt she has better aim than I do. The Rooster was back to his old tricks of sneaking up behind and flogging the back of your legs. Little did he know the wife was ready for him. The rooster charged and she slung a old flag pole. Caught him in the back of the head. Wife came in the house and says, I killed the rooster. Me thinking great, now I got to clean a chicken. I went out and that rooster was stretched out like a possum that didnt make it across the road. Well, I picked him up and was a bout to tell the wife to start heating some water when I noticed one of his eyes move. Then he wiggled a little bit and then went back out cold. So I carried him back to the coop and laid him on the floor. His feet hit the ground and he commenced to flapping and running out of the coop. I guess he gets to live for another day. I foynd out this week that the folks I got the rosster from have a young boy that tends the chickens. It seems that young boy like to make the rooster fight and would keep them stirred up all the time when he went to feed. Seems his mom aint to happy about it either and has been having to take a stick with her when see heads to the chicken pen. Anyways, she can handle the boy and I will take care of my rooster, eat him if I have to.

Averaging 4 eggs a day most days, feed and water consumption way down, eggs taste better and have better texture. still looking to swap some birds out, but not quite ready to head to the sales.
I think we have Ohio reds or something like that. They are the most consistent of the varieties we have as far as laying daily. The Easter Eggers are pretty consistent too, but not like those red ones. The white ones seem hit and miss, always 2 white eggs, sometimes 3 or 4.

Back