EGO REFUSES TO WARRANTEE BRAND NEW SAW CS18

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RIP

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just bought a cs 18 chain saw that won’t oil the chain and bar?It seems to be a known problem .I bought the saw on eBay from an authorized dealer.I had registered the product for warrantee which Ego acknowledges I did.when I called for help on how to trouble shoot and repair(I didn’t want to have to take it somewhere to repair.They told me because I bought it on eBay and the seller was no longer an authorized dealer I had no warrantee.I went and pulled up the Ego warrantee and no where does it say where you have to buy it.Who do I complain to.GmHas anyone ever had success fighting for a warrantee claim?

If you bought from him “when“ he was an authorized dealer, your warranty should apply.
if he was not an authorized when you bought it or never was a authorized dealer you may have no warranty.
a lot of companies do not allow eBay sales of power equipment(pe) , hence a lot of units sold on there are not from authorized resellers (dealers) but are sold via 3rd party companies and most manufacturers of pe do not allow transferable warranties as they deem the 3rd party companies the original purchaser.

Start a new warranty claim. This time, don’t tell them it was an eBay purchase. That’s none of their &$%# business. You have the business name, give them that.

Or say screw it and just replace the part. Personally, I’m through with warrantees on anything that’s worth under a certain threshold. Not worth my time to fight big companies over little issues. I know that’s a terrible attitude that contributes to the problem, but I’ve got enough fights going already.

I just bought a cs 18 chain saw that won’t oil the chain and bar?It seems to be a known problem .I bought the saw on eBay from an authorized dealer.I had registered the product for warrantee which Ego acknowledges I did.when I called for help on how to trouble shoot and repair(I didn’t want to have to take it somewhere to repair.They told me because I bought it on eBay and the seller was no longer an authorized dealer I had no warrantee.I went and pulled up the Ego warrantee and no where does it say where you have to buy it.Who do I complain to.GmHas anyone ever had success fighting for a warrantee claim?
Did you file a claim with Ebay about a defective product? I have done so and got problems taken care of on ebay purchases, many of which have ebay's guarantee.

Did you file a claim with Ebay about a defective product? I have done so and got problems taken care of on ebay purchases, many of which have ebay's guarantee.
^ This.
I would not-so-subtly tell ebay that I don't appreciate them putting their Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval® on shady vendors who claim to be "authorized dealers" when they aren't and suggest maybe they police their own ranks a little better.

Make it ebay's headache, not yours.

I'd also gripe to PayPal if that's how you paid for it. Like, ""Maybe you ought to know you've got some shady vendors you're dealing with."

Ebay and PayPal have a lot of leverage over their vendors.

I do not buy from ebay sellers that use cap locks. I see cap locks in the title here. The oilers on battery chainsaws seem more problematic than combustion ones.

Perhaps this story is relevant. I bought a Milwaukee 15 gauge trim nailer off ebay. It was supposedly remanufactured with warranty. It did not work, I spent a lot of effort with the warranty phone number, that department would be out till Monday, then some other reason, we appologize etc. I forget how I did it but they sent me a shipping label and I sent it back. It was too big to fit in the drop box for the shipper, I had them come and pick it up. They eventually returned it with a repair slip that said the whole frame was changed. Perhaps the warranty phone line will not yield results. Not sure if EGO is as good as Milwaukee.

they are not i even sent them a letter from a ourchaser of a greenworks product who was well taken care of and suggested they behave like that

I have one of those 18" EGOs. Have had it for a couple of years and is pretty handy.

Not trying to insult you here. Are you sure it's not oiling? As in pull off the bar and see if any pumps out?

I've found it to oil very lightly. So light that doing the cardboard test to check for spray won't show anything.

No its not oiling the bar is dry as a bone the hole the oil should be coming out of on the saw is dry the chain begain to smoke.This a problem that comes up when you google it. I even added 5/30 synthetic car oil to the bar poil to thin it out and nothin.if anything is good about it at least its not leaking oil in the truck like allmy other gas ones do lol. Their warranty does not anywhere state where you buy it or that it has to be sold by an authorized dealer. They are not an honorable company and im warning people of it, I wish someone had warned me i would have bought a greenworks having seen how they treat their customers.

Hey, like I said, I wasn't trying to insult you. I had to ask as 1 it is a basic troubleshooting step that hadn't been mentioned yet upthread and 2 I thought similar with mine.

I went so far as to add ATF to thin it out last winter. It certainly isn't as dry as yours though.

You're right one the glass half full part. It sure doesn't drool bar oil like my gas saws.:)

I'm thinking the problem is that you told them it is an Ebay purchase. Many companies will think that is an unauthorized reseller or a used piece of equipment. Also concur with reaching out to Ebay and/or paypal if you used it.

Has it never oiled since new? Maybe try priming it by squirting oil back down the output hole or putting slight air pressure to the tank.
Look in the tank to be sure if the pickup tube is there and attached.

I have one of those 18" EGOs. Have had it for a couple of years and is pretty handy.

Not trying to insult you here. Are you sure it's not oiling? As in pull off the bar and see if any pumps out?

I've found it to oil very lightly. So light that doing the cardboard test to check for spray won't show anything.
didnt feel insulted wanted to explain more detail.they wpouldnt even give me tech support tio try and fix it .

Has it never oiled since new? Maybe try priming it by squirting oil back down the output hole or putting slight air pressure to the tank.
Look in the tank to be sure if the pickup tube is there and attached.
tried leaving cap offv blowing in tank and checking hile was clear with a tooth pic

If you bought from him “when“ he was an authorized dealer, your warranty should apply.
if he was not an authorized when you bought it or never was a authorized dealer you may have no warranty.
a lot of companies do not allow eBay sales of power equipment(pe) , hence a lot of units sold on there are not from authorized resellers (dealers) but are sold via 3rd party companies and most manufacturers of pe do not allow transferable warranties as they deem the 3rd party companies the original purchaser.
AS I HAVE SAID THEY WERE THE ONES WHO TOLD ME HE WAS AN AUTHORIZED DEALER THEN HE WASNT ANYMORE.

NO WHERE IN THEIR WARRANTY DOES IT STATE THE IT HAS TO BE P[URCHASED THROUGH AN AURTHORIZED DEALER NOR IS THERE A DISCLAIMER OF PURCHASES ON EBAY.THEY ARE NOT HONORING THEIR WARRANTY.

Latest posts

Back