Electric chainsaws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only real issue I have had with electric saws, is that in really cold weather (Minnesota winter cold) you have to thin the bar and chain oil, since there is no internal combustion to heat it up. Storing the saw and oil inside, where it is warm helps, as does up to 25% kerosene.

Philbert

https://makitauk.com/product/uc4051a this one is what I generally think of for Makita corded chainsaw. It seems like their hypoid circular saw motor on a chainsaw chassis. Has been around for quite a while. I can't find anything but an entry level model on the Stihl UK site. kind of a shame there does not seem to be a 15 amp 230 volt choice from anyone.

I have a Stihl and a Makita corded .
Bought them both used for 150$ ea .
I've blocked a cord with them, used them indoors at my shop, lent one to a friend that cut up 5 cord of spruce into firewood and lent one to a friend so he could do some reno work in his house .
I have no complaints .

Jeez, that chainsaw attachment is second only in 'looking very stupidly dangerous to strap to a grinder' to the discs with saw teeth!

Yes Franny, that's the one.

The biggest fuse in a plug we get is 13 amp. So 2.5, 2.7ish kW is about the biggest powered single phase appliance you'll find. A 2.2-2.5kW saw with a good chain speed would compete with a 45-50cc saw I guess, that would be great great, but it's not readily available, not here at least.

I have the Stihl battery powered saw MSA 220. I use it for cutting out property lines. The mill I work for has also ordered me the Husqvarna 540i, but it is on back order.
Other saws in my stable are Husqvarna's 550xp, 562xp, 372xp, 572xp and 390xp.
I have made a living for over 30 years with gas powered chainsaws but believe the future is in battery power.

Agree with your prediction however I also have a MSA 220 with the 300 battery (the largest available).

I have done multiple comparisons with my MS170 and can cut three times as much firewood on one tank of petrol mix as with a fully charged battery.

A fully charged battery runs flat after about 15 minutes of cutting i.e. time in the wood, .not time including moving and stacking.

Once the battery is flat it takes almost an hour to recharge using the fastest charger. So even if I had 3 batteries the petrol saw would be cutting longer with minimal downtime for refuelling.

While there are lots of advantages with the battery saw they still have a LONG way to go before they will replace petrol saws.

AND the MSA with battery and charger cost four times as much as the MS170

Agree with your prediction however I also have a MSA 220 with the 300 battery (the largest available).

I have done multiple comparisons with my MS170 and can cut three times as much firewood on one tank of petrol mix as with a fully charged battery.

A fully charged battery runs flat after about 15 minutes of cutting i.e. time in the wood, .not time including moving and stacking.

Once the battery is flat it takes almost an hour to recharge using the fastest charger. So even if I had 3 batteries the petrol saw would be cutting longer with minimal downtime for refuelling.

While there are lots of advantages with the battery saw they still have a LONG way to go before they will replace petrol saws.

Speaking of down time, no mater what type you use you will always have to stop and fill the bar oil and sharpen the chain and tighten the chain.
It's also the cost of extra battery's and a charger plus having a place to plug in the charger in remote areas.
Electric has it's place, like for light use around the home or indoors.

I haven't blocked any wood with my MSA 220 yet, but I do get between 2 and 2 1/2 hours per battery cutting out property lines. I have two of the 300 batteries.
I agree, when blocking wood I will still use a gas powered saw.
I do believe the Husqvarna 540i has the advantage on it's Stihl counterpart. I used one for almost an hour cutting and limbing some smaller maple and a couple of 10" pine.
Rumours are that Husqvarna are developing a battery operated saw which will be equivalent to a 50cc gas powered saw.
As far as cost, yes the batteries are expensive but so is gas and mix.

I haven't blocked any wood with my MSA 220 yet, but I do get between 2 and 2 1/2 hours per battery cutting out property lines. I have two of the 300 batteries.
I agree, when blocking wood I will still use a gas powered saw.
I do believe the Husqvarna 540i has the advantage on it's Stihl counterpart. I used one for almost an hour cutting and limbing some smaller maple and a couple of 10" pine.
Rumours are that Husqvarna are developing a battery operated saw which will be equivalent to a 50cc gas powered saw.
As far as cost, yes the batteries are expensive but so is gas and mix.
One of the pro's of electric is there is no idle time draining the battery. Gas uses fuel as long as it's running, that includes idle time when your not actually cutting anything. Not so with electric saws.
However electric is not suited to cutting big wood where your under a full load for several min at a time.

Again, big difference between corded electric saws, which I think that the OP was considering, and the battery powered saws. Corded saws run so long that you have to remember to fill the bar oil!

FWIW, I stoped by a local saw shop today, and these were some of the prices listed for Husqvarna:

78424DC6-1295-4511-83E0-A8B24A9519CD.jpeg
73634CB1-416F-49E6-8EFA-5D740CD74AE1.jpeg

Big difference between homeowner and pro models.

Philbert

Back