Electric log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkiWhiz

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
When I was farming we used to cut and split alot of wood, we used a 3 point hitch tractor mounted splitter. Now we buy our wood cut but not split. I been watching a few videos on the 5 to 6 ton electric log splitters and would like to try one. Any of you used one and if so what brand do you prefer. I don't want to spend any more than $350.00 on one. Thanks! Steve

I’m not any help on the 5-6 ton electric units and I dropped in to say that it’s really neat that the wood you buy splits easy enough to be split with that amount of force. What kind of rounds do you buy?

While they can be can convenient if you are splitting a small amount of straight grained wood, just be aware that they are very slow. Also, if you are burning ALOT of wood thru the winter season it will be tough to keep up.

I'll admit to having used one, as I bought one for my mother when she was living alone after dad died, and occasionally wanted to re-split some chunks of birch. I was actually impressed with what it would do for the cost and size. I was impressed enough that when it was on a sale really cheap I bought one for myself and used it for a couple of years.

I do use a Honda powered hydraulic one but never sneered at what the little electric contraption would do for its cost and size. As for brand--I think that might be determined only by which door it comes out of the Chinese factory where they are made.

A lot depends on expectations. If you get one with the 'how can this little contraption split firewood' impression, you'll be pleasantly surprised. If you get it thinking it should produce split firewood as fast and as long as a $2,000 gas-powered one you'll be (foolishly) disappointed.

When I bought my country home it had a big old woodstove in it. (Now a new Drolet HT2000 replacement).
I bought a 5 ton electric hydraulic splitter on sale half price for $300 and it did great for many years before I bought my large 30 ton gas splitter.
They are great tools for a few cords a year and what people forget to mention is that you can use them indoors.
I still use it after 15 years for smaller, straight stuff and kindling when I don't need the big splitter.
The fact is if you're burning some wood( 3-8 cords a year), but not a huge amount(10 cords or more), then they work just fine.
Good wood burning is planning ahead.
My stacks are always 1-4 years ahead so I have no problems sourcing wood for next season.
0603823_1.jpg

I have a Speeco 5 ton electric one. It does ok on straight pieces, 8-12" max. It really struggles on much bigger than that, or twisted or stingy stuff. And, it IS slow.

I use it for splitting down pieces for use in a small fire pit and for kindling.

1648788494812.png
This is what I use, 5 ton, for 8 - 10 bush cord a year. They are slow, but I am retired. Splits about 90% of what I throw at it first try, about 3/4 of the rest by rotating the piece around to find the weak spot. The remainder is either back to the wedge and sledge or I borrow a 15 ton splitter about once a year from a neighbor (in exchange for fixing it every time he manages to break it...) for the tough stuff.
I like it, it's quiet, it's slow. Cost was $259 Cdn about 6 or 7 years ago. And I do have it up on a stand.

When I was farming we used to cut and split alot of wood, we used a 3 point hitch tractor mounted splitter. Now we buy our wood cut but not split. I been watching a few videos on the 5 to 6 ton electric log splitters and would like to try one. Any of you used one and if so what brand do you prefer. I don't want to spend any more than $350.00 on one. Thanks! Steve

I ended up buying a 5 ton Yardmax electric splitter from Home Depoit for $300.00 delivered to my door. It works amazingly well, I am surprised on how good it does. Worth every penny in my opinion.

Attachments

• IMG_05042022_192337_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg
    IMG_05042022_192337_(1080_x_1080_pixel).jpg
    483.2 KB · Views: 1
I have a 4 ton Yardworks one that works great for me.
457f9a9066543a7c02ae3032efb94920.jpg

Retired guy from SE Manitoba, Canada

Back