Employee Problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your two employees are just mad you made a profit of $11.670 the other day with 3 employees and didn’t give them a bonus for the day. If you did, I stand corrected.
+10, especially if he let his profit be known to them.

Drunk on the job = fired forever. That dude can’t respect your or anyone elses saftey. I get it that you’re under pressure to make your commitments to customers (not to mention pay the bills) but it’s nothing compared to the liability of an injury or death.
We got sued $300k for cutting down a tree on a property line once. If we hadn’t all been stone sober when the cops showed up we would have lost the case (and all lost our livelihood).
FWIW, friends have found good employees in the local jails. They want to work, they’re sober, and they’re cheap.

Years ago i was a climber for a tree company out of north Vancouver...boss sent me on a job with 2 groundsmen that busted their butts..but little did I know they hated each other...I was relatively new to the company..half way through the removal job, they started throwing hands at each other while I’m 80ft up a hemlock..had to repel down and play referee..called the boss and he said deal with it..bozo 1 walked off the job and bozo 2 took a cab home..boss then sent 2 more groundsman and the job was done 3 hours over the estimated time lol.i feel your pain.

I am more worried about them getting in another altercation with a customer/ neighbor. We got really lucky this time that the police weren’t involved (apparently the guy’s son has a warrant so he didn’t call). He did say some really hateful names to my guys, so I understand why they were mad.
Those neighbors sound like real pieces of crap honestly. Yet I understand where you're coming from, can't be bashing peoples heads in ect. I'd tell your guys to be professional until someone tried to lay a hand on them to harm them and then tell em to beat the devil out of em, hehehe. No most folks will back down when they see that their name calling didn't offend you, but most folks are so weak minded they can't resist being offended over (WORDS) or have a reason to beat someone's butt.. I'm just basing this on what I've seen and folks I've been around, I'm not judging your guys it's just the way it has normally went places I've worked.hope ya get it figured out though

do not rehire the alky guy, will only bring trouble down the road. and think of your insurance - that is high enough already. guy gets into an altercation or something else happens you could be sans insurance and be libel for what ever. drugs and alky do not mix with Insurance co. or the courts.

do not rehire the alky guy, will only bring trouble down the road. and think of your insurance - that is high enough already. guy gets into an altercation or something else happens you could be sans insurance and be libel for what ever. drugs and alky do not mix with Insurance co. or the courts.
Very true. Not worth it in the long run. I'd rather have 3 halfway good workers and still have my company v.s. have 3 guys that'll hustle and cost me everything..

Put any new guys on at least 3 months probation to determine if you want to keep them. The faster you get rid of questionable workers the better off you will be. It's a hassle I know, but bad people can really sour a business.
Yep. It can also make the good guys ya already have miserable to be around them and make them quit. Seen it a bunch,I've always done mechanic work and seen owners that would get a few bad apples and would wait and wait to do anything about em and then before ya knew it the owner would always be stuck with a bag full of Di¢k$ instead of good employees because he was too afraid to do anything about em.... (Pitiful)

Especially if they find out you had previous knowledge. You could try hiring an Apprentice at a little more than half pay, to pull limbs and stack them. Then trimming those when your climber is finished. People are starting to look for jobs again. Back to your original problem, any worker should have told the neighbor that he needed to take it up with the landowner, they worked for him. (Then the neighbors could have punched it out)

Back