ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Ever had an endoscopy?

PA. Woodsman

PA. Woodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
I have a family history of colon cancer so I am supposed to get a colonoscopy every five years, I went in 2015 and they only found a small non cancerous polyp, was supposed to go last Summer but Covid hit and made everything crazy so I skipped it but figured I should go now and I also had been having some digestion issues like gas and burping most likely from eating too fast and swallowing air and stress and other things so I finally got to see the doctor in July, I wanted to do things months ago but thanks to Covid everything seems to be pushed way back even doctor visits unless you are near death. We talked, told him my symptoms, he and I both agree it is most likely IBS which I've had for years, don't think it's anything serious but he said he would like to do an endoscopy where they put a tube down your throat to look at the stomach area, this would be done while I am knocked out for the colonoscopy so I won't feel anything, but as the date of this gets closer (next Friday 9/10) I am wondering if I really need this upper scope? My symptoms have improved, the issues are lower based not in the stomach area, I really don't match the symptoms for when you have it done so I messaged him expressing my concerns. I also coach soccer and have a game the next day and want to make sure that there are no "surprises" the next day, I know the ass scope always leaves me wiped out for a few days because of what you just put your body through but I don't know about the upper stomach scope. I told him he's the doctor, if he feels it would be a huge help and thinks I'd be fine the next day okay, but maybe we can just do the colonoscopy and see what that shows and we can always do the upper one later if he feels it is needed, that is the much easier of the two to do, so I'll see what he says. I think he feels while I'm out let's take a look in there too but if I'm not showing any upper symptoms like GERD or reflux or burning or bleeding I'm questioning if it is necessary.

Did any of you ever have the stomach scope done and what was your experience like?

Thanks for any replies!

buzz sawyer

buzz sawyer

Addicted to ArboristSite
Western border of mid-southern northern WV
Yes, had it done s few years ago. I've had acid reflux issues for a awhile and had a friend who had esophageal cancer, so i wanted to be sure. I don't recall any bad issues with it.

I'm a little surprised they'll do it when you have the colonoscopy - hope they clean the scope real good, or at least do the upper end first.

rburg

rburg

Addicted to ArboristSite
Had colonoscopy and endoscopy at the same time. The only part that was uncomfortable was the prep the day before. The Dr ended up enlarging the entrance to my stomach which helped with the swallowing problems I was having. My Dr didn't think the reference to doing the endoscopy first so it wouldn't taste bad was very funny.

PA. Woodsman

PA. Woodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Had colonoscopy and endoscopy at the same time. The only part that was uncomfortable was the prep the day before. The Dr ended up enlarging the entrance to my stomach which helped with the swallowing problems I was having. My Dr didn't think the reference to doing the endoscopy first so it wouldn't taste bad was very funny.
When you say the prep I assume that was for the colonoscopy or was there any prep to do for the endoscopy? I don't recall him telling me about any for the latter.

He got back to me about it and said that if I am not having any kinds of symptoms I don't have to do it, said it will only take about 5-10 minutes to do, he'll keep it scheduled as both but we can talk about it next Friday when I go in for the procedures. I'm not having any major issues or symptoms like I see listed when they suggest you have one, but if it isn't bad maybe I should just have it done while I'm out? I'll see what he says next week about it.

Thank you

uniballer

uniballer

ArboristSite Operative
I had an endoscopy and colonoscopy done when I was hospitalized for severe anemia. They found an (occult) upper GI bleed site with the endoscopy, so they put me on a PPI and iron supplements. In my case this was a life-saving diagnostic. They also took some samples with the endoscope for pathology studies (negative in my case). The GI docs later checked the middle of my GI tract with a Pillcam SB3.

capetrees

capetrees

Tree Freak
Had the endoscopy twice, both times due to acid reflux scarring the entrance to my stomach and they needed to stretch the entrance. Choked on food to the point that it wouldn't pass into the stomach. THAT'S a sucky experience.

Anyway, you'll be out. All they do is send a thin scope down your throat and down your esophagus to the stomach and look around. No pain whatsoever and knowing if there are any problems is the best part. Better than finding out the hard way later (by chance).

oldfortyfive

oldfortyfive

ArboristSite Operative
Same thing here. About due for it all again. The ballooning at the stomach is starting to show signs of shrinking back. They put me on an antacid to slowdown the stomach acid from damaging the valve there.

brownemtp

brownemtp

The Healthcare system likes to have baseline test results. Baseline is YOUR normal test results. That can be anywhere from cardiac tracing to upper GI tests. If all is normal, the next abnormal test helps with the diagnosis. If you have a abnormal test, but normal to you, with symptoms, this leads to all kinds of additional tests to find out why abnormal. Clear as mud? An upper GI is a cake walk. You are only paying for one anesthesia procedure versus two, if you have later problems.

jimrb

jimrb

ArboristSite Member
In case anyone was wondering the endoscopy scopes are a lot shorter than the colonoscopy scopes. The Pillcams are pretty neat. You swallow a capsule early in the AM at the doctor's office. The capsule has a camera, battery, light and transmitter. It sends images to a receiver/recorder. After wearing the recorder during the day you go back about 4 pm to turn in the recorder. The data is transferred to the computer. The computer processes the data and looks for abnormalities. Sure you can look at 8 hours of images but the software pulls up the highlights. Depending on your motility you poop out the capsule later and down the toilet it goes. I have not had the Pillcam or endoscopy. You are under anesthesia for the endoscopy and colonoscopy. You see and feel nothing. Of course colonoscopy prep is not a joyous day. Note that the doctors like to have visualization. Poop on a stick may work for cancer screening but seeing what is going on with a colonoscopy and snipping polyps before they get huge or troublesome is generally preferred. Note of course I am just an IT guy at a gastroenterologist so whatever I say has little meaning.

PA. Woodsman

PA. Woodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Well I'm done, I had them both today and it went well, as was said the prep was rough which I knew but they were so very nice there we actually were joking around which helped. They snipped one small colon polyp and he said I had Class B Esophagitis but said neither was real bad and that "it looked pretty good, actually" so that is a relief! I don't go back for 5 years unless I have an issue, but I am very glad that I decided to have the stomach scope done, they were wonderful and I have no sore throat or anything so this is good. Now it's back to drinking Gatorade, eating and resting to get powered up again!

THANK YOU for the replies, they were very helpful!!

capetrees

capetrees

Tree Freak
Well I'm done, I had them both today and it went well, as was said the prep was rough which I knew but they were so very nice there we actually were joking around which helped. They snipped one small colon polyp and he said I had Class B Esophagitis but said neither was real bad and that "it looked pretty good, actually" so that is a relief! I don't go back for 5 years unless I have an issue, but I am very glad that I decided to have the stomach scope done, they were wonderful and I have no sore throat or anything so this is good. Now it's back to drinking Gatorade, eating and resting to get powered up again!

THANK YOU for the replies, they were very helpful!!
:clap: