Ever prune beyond the branch collar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyB

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm about to prune a lot of mature oaks that have never been pruned before. My objective is mostly limited to removing dead limbs in an effort to improve tree health. I'm sure rot from some of these limbs will have moved past the branch collar into the trunk. My question has to do with what to do and what to expect in such a case? Should I still stop at the branch collar or should I attempt to follow and cut out discolored wood from the trunk? In either case, how will the tree respond?

Don't damage the branch collar. Read up on CODIT (Alex Shigo) to learn why. Barriers have already formed, by damaging the collar you will increase decay.
Thanks! and thanks for the reference for further reading! I had become aware of the general rule regarding pruning at the branch collar but all explanations I've been exposed to to date assumed decay had not progressed beyond it, therefore my question. With your reply, I've now updated my general understanding to mean "NEVER" prune belong the branch collar and have the opportunity to read 76 pages more about CODIT from Alex Shigo for better understanding. Thanks again! Appreciate it!

removing deadwood to improve tree health is a bit of a misconception. removing dead is for people more than trees and is certainly necessary at times to reduce risk. some of the deadwood branch collars will likely look like big knobs, even long at times. do not cut into the green wood. it might actually look better to leave the dead branch on to make visual sense of the knobby collar, as long as risk is not a factor. improving tree health is rare for humans to achieve. forget fertilizer. water heavily weekly during droughts. reduce ends with 1.5" cuts beyond defects (climbers job)

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Back