Everyone wants to borrow a chain saw.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You cannot loan anything, but you can lend it. (Loan is a noun, not a verb). I would be reluctant to lend my MS500i to anyone, even those who know how to use it.
I updated my post to keep the grammar police happy. "Loan"' has been a verb in English for 700 years. So why are people still complaining about it? May I loan my saw while lending a hand?

I dont lend out anything,not even a screwdriver or adjustable (crescent) wrench.Not even to family members.if I have the time (and our schedule's cooperate) I'll take my tools over to their place,do the job & return home with them.I dont leave any tools with them,even just overnight.

Here is an explanation on best practice use of loan vs lend. https://writingexplained.org/loan-vs-lend-difference
I realize that loan has often been used as a verb, but it is not best practice. Lots of people say "would of" too, but it should be either "would've" or "would have". Take pride in what you do, including your writing.

"my older brother axed me if I could borrow him a chainsaw, saidto them I speak to tha boss and tell him yes if he agreed" ...................................................................................
unreal how some people speak is it not ................................................
just watch Judge Judy some time............................................................

I like to keep a plastic Poulan or two hanging around just for lending out, but I still won't lend it to anyone who is a complete cluster****, like my brother in law.

Pro saws don't get lent out, period. If it's a job that requires one of my pro saws, I'll consider doing it myself, but I'll be damned if I'm going to loan out one of my rebuilt/ported/modified Stihls that I have sunk a lot of time/energy/$ on.

lend tools, any tools.... not a chance. Dont mind helping out and cutting for someone but lend them one of my saws, no way on this earth. You learn the hard way, I was reluctant to lend a sledge hammer years ago, they said "I wont break it and if I do I will buy a new one" so I gave in. First swing at a posted he missed and cracked the handle, I had a new handle off him but thats not the point. You have the work of fixing it, even if they said they would fix it could you trust it to be a good repair, I think not. So NO, if they need tools let them buy their own instead of save off someone else's back.

I am an Electrician at a paper mill near my home town. Been there almost 32yrs. now. As a young Apprentice,a back in the day,I "loaned" out a couple of specialty tools to co- workers for weekend projects. One was a fish tape. They used it to snake out their plugged toilet! The second time,I had my backup pair of wire strippers returned with a blackened hole burned in the on the 12AWG strip point! Now,I NEVER lend out any tool,period. Fool me once,shame on you......fool me twice.....shame on me. Like ThistleIA said.....I'll help just about anyone,on my time,but when I leave their job.....so do my tools.

My answer to loaner saws is NO.. If I feel any explanation in needed. It begins with the amount of the cash deposit for said borrowing. I will help others with my saw in my hands.... NO others touch my saws. Especially friends..

I have a 12'x6'x6' cargo trailer I used for my race trailer for 15 years. In that 15 years I never put a single scratch on it. My brother in law borrowed it and it came back with a bent fender. He paid me for the damages. I fixed the fender and 3 years later my nephew borrowed it to move. It came back with the same fender damaged.
Had a friend ask if he could borrow my wood splitter. I said no way, thats my money maker. Can't do it.

I say yes. Give them one you know will never start. If it does be sure it won't run right and has a dull chain. Bad coil is a nice nice first starter. Then ***** when they bring it back about how they broke your best tool and should pay to fix it.

Made me chuckle. I should have kept my old Sears Crapsman 55 CC Chi-Com saw that had low compression. You could pull the rope until your arm fell off and it wouldn't start. A squirt of oil into the spark plug hole and it might build up enough compression to start...but it ran like the POS it was. That's my idea of a "loaner saw".

JQ

Made me chuckle. I should have kept my old Sears Crapsman 55 CC Chi-Com saw that had low compression. You could pull the rope until your arm fell off and it wouldn't start. A squirt of oil into the spark plug hole and it might build up enough compression to start...but it ran like the POS it was. That's my idea of a "loaner saw".

JQ
Then you laugh and drink a beer. Show them your ported monster they can't touch and get something lamb like a junker plastic 35 or 40cc turd with a sharp chain you know they will stick in the dirt. Make sure Walmart sells that chain near him or her 😆

I like to keep a plastic Poulan or two hanging around just for lending out, but I still won't lend it to anyone who is a complete cluster****, like my brother in law.

Pro saws don't get lent out, period. If it's a job that requires one of my pro saws, I'll consider doing it myself, but I'll be damned if I'm going to loan out one of my rebuilt/ported/modified Stihls that I have sunk a lot of time/energy/$ on.
I subscribed!!! --- and on the loaning stuff out, my AC D grader got parked outside and motor filled up with water and stuck,---the deal was that they use it but keep it parked under a roof,--didnt have to be in a shed--- just under a roof, ---well they wouldnt bring it back and when I went to haul it home it was outside in the weeds!! ( still trying to fix the motor)! Chainsaws NEVER get loaned out! I will go cut for you but you dont touch my saws! The liability thing in todays world is off the charts!
Anyway after the motorgrader deal,-- I wont loan anything to anybody cept my neighbor! We use each others trucks/tractors/tools/etc. and take care of them while we have them!

I say yes. Give them one you know will never start. If it does be sure it won't run right and has a dull chain. Bad coil is a nice nice first starter. Then ***** when they bring it back about how they broke your best tool and should pay to fix it.
That translates to a fraud, yet I get it.. If it's someone you will see again... just tell them to go buy their own.. be honest.. call it karma..

Latest posts

Back