EXL and JGX comparison pictures

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

U&A

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
SHOULD SAY EXJ[emoji3595][emoji3595][emoji3595] anyone know how to edit a title?

First and for most. I am ONLY comparing these “STOCK FOR STOCK”. We can obviously grind both of these however we want to make them perform differently.

I’m only doing this just to learn the OEM difference (that i can gather) and for fun.

Both of these use the same ( new) Steel as the famous EXL (full comp) from my understanding.

JGX (LGX= is full comp) and EXJ are the full skip. These particular chains are .375/.063/115DL/36”bar

Manufacturers descriptions

Oregon EXJ has a reshaped cutter and proprietary grind technology for superior performance, sharpness and consistency (replaces JGX). This low-vibration, full chisel cutter chain is designed to maximize every cut with less effort.

Product Details

Skip sequence design provides greater clearance for better chip flow - the larger the wood being cut and the longer the bar used, the more important good chip flow becomes

LubriTec[emoji769] keeps your chain and guide bar oiled for less friction and longer life

Blued Cutters deliver high-quality protection against corrosion

Expanded Top-Plate Filing Indicators and depth gauge filing indicators area make accurate sharpening easier

Gold Loop Start Indicator makes sharpening easier with start and stop identification

Exclusive OCS-01 Steel provides greater durability

The Oregon JGX PowerCut[emoji769] Saw Chain is Designed for professional woodcutters using 3/8" pitch chainsaws. This chain features low-vibration full chisel cutters for top performance. Top-plate filing indicators make accurate sharpening easier. Offset depth gauges keep the cutters from driving into the sidewall of the cut, resulting in a smoother cut.

Product Details

Skip sequence design provides greater clearance for better chip flow - the larger the wood being cut and the longer the bar used, the more important good chip flow becomes

LubriTec[emoji769] keeps your chain and guide bar oiled for less friction and longer life

Blued Cutters deliver high-quality protection against corrosion

Top-Plate Filing Indicators make accurate sharpening easier

Exclusive OCS-01 Steel provides greater durability

A few little visual differences here.

I see the slightly different cutter shape. Not a LOT different though. The Gullet is much more open on the EXJ

The extra etch marks on the EXJ are cool but not necessary IMO.

Both have the “blue cutters” but the EXJ also has blue links. The links have a slightly different look to them as well

The Drivers look identical besides the oil grooves. The oil grooves on the EXJ can only help.

The EXJ also has the gold link. I find that helpful when sharpening. Honestly with an odd number of Drive links like this it’s not necessary as there is a point somewhere in the chain that it is different. In this case on these two chains there is a spot at the links where you have an extra empty link. So instead of having two empty links in between each cutter, that particular spot has three empty links. My other EXJ that is .375/.063/105DL/32”bar there actually are two right handed cutters at the link (pictured)

32” EXJ
c0f25437d1f56eae1564f3adbd99f02e.jpg

The shape and offset of the depth gauges look identical besides the obvious difference in markings.

The OAL of the cutters actually look slightly different but measuring them with calipers they are identical. Optical illusion from the etch marks I bet.

The cutters on the JGX have quite a bit more of a hook at the very top of the cutter then the EXJ does

Honestly not sure which one would cut faster. The EXJ has much more of an open gullet but the hook high up on the cutter of the JGX would make me think it would be a tad bit “sharper” and cut faster.......but less gullet.... i bet the true differences would be marginal.

In the end i like the EXJ more but if i find a good deal on JGX i will not hesitate to get it. Thanks for reading all my jibber jabber [emoji1787].

Let me know what your thoughts/ experiences are on the two chains.

50058aa2d844f1334befd6d1a78351ba.plist

ff8e0a021239dc696d63543247205296.plist

cb5b2a4417fc25e60b97d42bc987c5c3.plist

6ee7ce1f1fe855d644d476a9479b29a1.plist

f7a9ad85bae319773ae6320236c2a908.plist

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Maybe its an optical illusion, but the "new" model looks like the cutter top is shorter. As in, less sharpening before needing replaced.

Back