Ez start recoils

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Good_Going

Reaction score
Hello, first post and glad to be here!
I have a ms251c that was given to me a couple years ago- (plan on getting a same sized pro saw, as well as a bigger felling/bucking saw further down the road)
don't much care for these ez start recoils, seems like a weak design being easily stripped if overzealous on the pull rope.
The outer part of the spring inside the housing was the first to strip last year cut, another 10+cord and put a self tap screw and tack weld. Has been good since. Now the inner part joining the cog has stripped out.
Any ideas?
-jb weld or an epoxy?
-change flywheel with cheap Amazon job and normal recoil housing as well?
-sell it as is and bite the bullet early with a new ms261?
Bit about myself- got into cutting as an opportunity last year, became a great hobby for me, now it's becoming a bit more.
Been going over what 70cc saw to get for months, choices are limited being in a small town eastern Canada the only dealers are Stihl and husky around here.
Don't much think I'd care for the mtronics or autotunes for long-term reliability- (dealer carb for the 462 is $200) maybe you's can change my mind.
Prices of these models new are from $1250-$1450 so far picks could be 372xp, 461
572xp, or 462.
Not much for used saw market around here either- seem to be overpriced or few listings.
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20211202_100223.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 20
There is a version without the easy start, tool less chain adjuster, and I believe one other difference. You can see in the owners manual stuff pertaining to both. That is the one I got on purpose. Added a second starter pawl contrary to what Stihl thinks is a good idea. It is probably pretty easy to overheat the clutch and melt stuff, People score the pistons, and folks buy new saws and part them out. Just getting the other starter assembly would be what I suggest. I also would imagine individual parts are available for what you have though if the saw was given to you perhaps you don't like that route.

The MS261 current version is 10.8 pounds just like the MS251 in the literature but uses a different bar mount.

eBay is good option for OEM used ez-start recoil. Pretty simple to change over to regular starter. You will need both standard recoil and standard flywheel. OEM is superior quality to aftermarket if your are looking for durability.

My first ez-start failed so I bought a new one at the dealer. When that failed and I took it back to him, he took the saw in the back and brought it back a few minutes later with a used regular start at no charge. It has been working fine for14 years. A few years ago, I replaced the no tool chain adjust with a cheap Chinese tool adjust from Amazon. You don't need a new saw, just a few cheap parts. My pump primer is the only special feature of that saw that I still have.

Sometimes I like to quick check the engine's compression without hooking up the tester gauge. The EZ-start recoil makes that virtually impossible. The trouble presented in post #5 is also a huge factor. I must admit that I have a Stihl MS251c that hasn't broken yet, but that may be a ticking clock.

Harley, I like that. It might add three ounces of weight to the saw. No big deal. My Stihl MS251c weighs almost exactly the same as my 026 PRO. But, which saw would I pick up first for firewood processing? The older saw of course.

Thanks for the reply's,
Been using my backup 455 I got for a steal of a price from a guy I knew took care of it.
May try filling the ez recoil housing with an industrial adhesive I got from work to make the Spring/cog all one piece so there's no buildup in the spring (or ez start) just to see- seems it should work. Worth a shot before I convert over to a normal recoil.
(I'm a little cheap) !
So far the toolless bar adjust hasn't let me down besides the little M screw that fell out of the hole keeping the gear on the bar.
Can't complain too much, cut over 30 cord with this little saw since I got it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211210_203931_com.facebook.orca.jpg
    Screenshot_20211210_203931_com.facebook.orca.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
Hello, first post and glad to be here!
I have a ms251c that was given to me a couple years ago- (plan on getting a same sized pro saw, as well as a bigger felling/bucking saw further down the road)
don't much care for these ez start recoils, seems like a weak design being easily stripped if overzealous on the pull rope.
The outer part of the spring inside the housing was the first to strip last year cut, another 10+cord and put a self tap screw and tack weld. Has been good since. Now the inner part joining the cog has stripped out.
Any ideas?
-jb weld or an epoxy?
-change flywheel with cheap Amazon job and normal recoil housing as well?
-sell it as is and bite the bullet early with a new ms261?
Bit about myself- got into cutting as an opportunity last year, became a great hobby for me, now it's becoming a bit more.
Been going over what 70cc saw to get for months, choices are limited being in a small town eastern Canada the only dealers are Stihl and husky around here.
Don't much think I'd care for the mtronics or autotunes for long-term reliability- (dealer carb for the 462 is $200) maybe you's can change my mind.
Prices of these models new are from $1250-$1450 so far picks could be 372xp, 461
572xp, or 462.
Not much for used saw market around here either- seem to be overpriced or few listings.
Thanks!
EZ-Start recoils require a gentle pull, release and a moment before the energy releases. Every saw that I have serviced with this teature, takes a little more effort/pulls, before starting. Homeowner feature, that doen't belong out in the wood luck

Harley, I like that. It might add three ounces of weight to the saw. No big deal. My Stihl MS251c weighs almost exactly the same as my 026 PRO. But, which saw would I pick up first for firewood processing? The older saw of course.
This one is pretty heavy. Hell I didn't even know they made an EZ start for the ms261 until I got my grimy hands on that one.

Back