Fall colours not as bright this year in Ontario, Canada. The reason? Climate change :P

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ontario Firewood Resource

Ontario Firewood Resource/ Youtube
Reaction score
I noticed that the sugar maples especially and other trees weren't as bright this year and that the colour change was very late or that similar species were green while others were far into the colour change. I've heard that other areas were brighter this year. The news said climate change was the reason for my region being dull.
I made video and heard that news story after the fact. What was your experience this year?

The problem with this kind of analysis is no one spends the time to compare there results to very many years in the past. It's all based on just a few years of records or experience. No one ever takes into account how bad there memory is or they just compare a few years or maybe a decade. No one ever researches the effects over decades or even centuries. They also don't take into account all the factors that cause climate change. The sun, moon, and the other 8 planets that effect's what happens here on Earth. The ever changing rotation of the Earth and planets are what causes the most change. Earth is said to be 4.5 billion years old and she has been going through changes long before we ever showed up. Maybe dinosaur farts are what really caused there demise.
Land subsidence, plate tectonics, volcanoes, natural methane releases all play a role in our weather.
You combine all these effects and how and when they occur over many centuries you may come closer to the truth. But that does not fit the climate alarmist agenda. The climate alarmist agenda is to make money on peoples fear and stupidity.

I noticed that the sugar maples especially and other trees weren't as bright this year and that the colour change was very late or that similar species were green while others were far into the colour change. I've heard that other areas were brighter this year. The news said climate change was the reason for my region being dull.
I made video and heard that news story after the fact. What was your experience this year?

? You heard? You noticed? The news? Its nature Buddy. I know the Muskoka area well....and its not so remote as to elicit such vague questions? Its Nature....but please continue to re-cycle. I'm on Lake Rosseua, and every trip to the Beer Store in Port Carling has a bobbing water bottle from the Toronto rats.........

Everything will be corrected in a few thousand years when the Planet cleans itself of most all living creatures . Hopefully this process starts in California
Picturing you puking while saying this :p
There was a grandmother from CA who came up here for a wedding and her grill looked like a cross between a geisha girl and the Guy Fawkes mask. No expression, just a pale inanimate face

? You heard? You +noticed? The news? Its nature Buddy. I know the Muskoka area well....and its not so remote as to elicit such vague questions? Its Nature....but please continue to re-cycle. I'm on Lake Rosseua, and every trip to the Beer Store in Port Carling has a bobbing water bottle from the Toronto rats.........
I was hoping that you got my vibe, that I respect where I go.and what I'm there for, not for looking good on the water and okaying top 40. I'm not responsible for them. I've cleaned up a camp site once or twice....actually maybe 50 times.

I was in Scotland a few years back and we went on a guided walk and we came to one of the oldest caves on earth when the guide carried on to say that when this was formed the planet was much warmer than it is today. coming out of an ice age springs to mind, and I'm not talking since the 50s when some of these records began.

? You heard? You noticed? The news? Its nature Buddy. I know the Muskoka area well....and its not so remote as to elicit such vague questions? Its Nature....but please continue to re-cycle. I'm on Lake Rosseua, and every trip to the Beer Store in Port Carling has a bobbing water bottle from the Toronto rats.........
I live in Huntsville, Ontario and I thought this year's fall colours where outstanding!

I drove from NW Ontario across to NS through sault, that was early October, we thought the colours were fantastic, but we are used to the yellow and brown of poplars…..
On the way back through a few weeks later the show was over.

Attachments

• 049C7C3D-922C-4525-8850-A24F737FD936.jpeg
    049C7C3D-922C-4525-8850-A24F737FD936.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 4
We had a pretty good fall here in Central Alberta. Sugar maples are *really* fussy about conditions. They often will go red on the outside of the canopy, and only yellow or orange inside. My current theory about that is harder frost on the outside.

Three trees I planted the same year. "Lord Selkirk" One this year turned bright red. Intially just one branch, then the whole tree. One, planted under a poplar canopy went fire orange. Another, better watered settled for a meh yellow orange.

Poplar, normally only goes a dirty yellow this year there were lots of them with pink and orange tints.

The colors were pretty here in the south. Seemed a little more vibrant the usual actually. I’m glad they started using the word climate change and global warming. It’s not that I don’t think the world is warming up but there seems to be a dose of humility in the word climate change, global warming just sound like it’s got an agenda behind it. But I’m sure it’s just me

I live in Huntsville, Ontario and I thought this year's fall colours where outstanding!
Last year they were better from Niagara to Huntsville. I was in your town regularly, I love it up there.
I drove from NW Ontario across to NS through sault, that was early October, we thought the colours were fantastic, but we are used to the yellow and brown of poplars…..
On the way back through a few weeks later the show was over.
That would've been a nice drive, nI have hardly touched on that route. Did you take 60 through Huntsville or Trans-Canada through North Bay? The colours were nice as they always are but the bright red or bright pinkish red wasn't there you can see that in your picture. Some sugar maples did get to that colour, but most didn't, some were orange or yellow and many were orange to reddish orange.

The old timers around ere concluded the really wet fall made the leaves too heavy with moisture to dry sufficiently and color up.
hmm, I'll keep that in mind. We did have a lot of rain this fall, I'm a salmon and steelhead fisherman and a creek that I fish that tends not to get a lot of runoff due to the relatively flat terrain surrounding it, but still, there was lots of water.

Back