Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I call BS on that pic
I don't. I'm wondering if the tree is going to be used for a mast/spar on a sailing ship? Such orders do come in once in a great while. Not often. A logging outfit back in the 1980s had a buyer just for that. They got the blessing to doze out a bed and a big Noble Fir was carefully felled. Unfortunately, the faller messed up the length due to a badly spliced tape. Hardhats were thrown in anger, bad words bellowed, and I think the faller was fired? The tree went down the road in log lengths.

Went to a lecture on Do You Really Want To Harvest Poles On Your Property? Poles, meaning those used for utilities like powerlines, not fences. The problem is the haul. Tight turns are impossible and things like gates, mailboxes, shrubberies, get smashed when hauling goes through.

I don't. I'm wondering if the tree is going to be used for a mast/spar on a sailing ship? Such orders do come in once in a great while. Not often. A logging outfit back in the 1980s had a buyer just for that. They got the blessing to doze out a bed and a big Noble Fir was carefully felled. Unfortunately, the faller messed up the length due to a badly spliced tape. Hardhats were thrown in anger, bad words bellowed, and I think the faller was fired? The tree went down the road in log lengths.

Went to a lecture on Do You Really Want To Harvest Poles On Your Property? Poles, meaning those used for utilities like powerlines, not fences. The problem is the haul. Tight turns are impossible and things like gates, mailboxes, shrubberies, get smashed when hauling goes through.
Well I still call BS on the pic. It is simple physics. Go study it again.

The photo has the writing of the old timey photos. Note the scale is written on the photo. Scale meaning board feet.

They are hauling on a beach-- either on Willapa Bay or the Pacific. It says South Bend and that is on the SW Washington coast, south of Raymond.

There is a cat for pushing in the background.

They did crazy things back then.

The photo has the writing of the old timey photos. Note the scale is written on the photo. Scale meaning board feet.

They are hauling on a beach-- either on Willapa Bay or the Pacific. It says South Bend and that is on the SW Washington coast, south of Raymond.

There is a cat for pushing in the background.

They did crazy things back then.
Physics says it is BS.

It really isn't that big of a diameter for that time and that location.

Weight of the log depends on species, whether the tree was dead or alive, time of year cut, and even where it grew. Logs will be heavier in the spring and early summer, and lighter during the winter when the tree is dormant. Trees in creek bottoms can be heavier than those growing on ridgetops.

I learned quite a bit about log truck loads and different weights of trees back in the day when sneaking logs out past the highway weight scales was very common. There was "The Day Of Fred Moe Truck Breakdowns" when those trucks were radioed and told to find a parking place (road turnout) to avoid a weight crackdown. A small time gyppo logger who was known for heavy loads simply didn't work that day.

The not really huge butt end is on the front axle, the tree tapers a lot meaning the weight decreases with the taper--the picture says 40" on the small end. So Bill, the enlarger button can be your friend.

George Murchison and a decent Spruce up in what is now called Haida Gwaii back in the 60's.
When I worked at Eden Lake in 86-87 there was a stump next to the tire shop you could park a pickup truck on. I recall someone telling me it was 17' across.

FallingBigSpruceQCIGeoMurchison.jpg

Take care.

Physics says it is BS.

How do you explain this, then?

FlagPoleKewGardensTwoTrucks.jpg

1959 with a log from the Copper Canyon area on Vancouver Island destined for the Kew Gardens in England to serve as a flagpole. It was 225' long and stood for many years before being replaced. Wood rot and woodpecker damage took their toll over the years.

And then there's this one.

FlagpoleOneTruck.jpg

How do you like the physics on it?

Neat to see a farmer from Illinois telling west coast loggers that what they do isn't real.
LMAO

Take care.

Latest posts

Back