Falling pics 11/25/09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just realized another reason I like this site. These guys are real people. I know you guys are talking about with people being soft. I've cut wood thru out the season for 18-19 years for the public. I like it or I wouldn't do it. But I've never missed a meal and my kids don't do with out. I usually have a full time job but I need the extra income. Some folks probably look down on me but they are just looking for a reason too. My kids are helping me load now and my daughter even runs a hydro splitter some. I believe teaching them to work is as good for them as it was for me at that age. Yes they play video games and watch tv, they aren't deprived. I am not against fun but they help me some too. I've tried to teach um right and all. America is full of people that think you have to be popular or goodlooking or a athlete to be a hero. My idea of hero's is different. Most of the hero today have never hit a lick at a snake let along a full days work. I say if you like and you can make a living at it do it. I judge people by their heart not their job. I wish everyone could do the same.

I use to put it away! February will be 2 years sober for me. I was a piss drunk alchy for 7 years, hammered every damn day. I didn't quit forever, cause I'd take two days off and start going through the DT's. I finally just asked God for the strength and courage to do it, and I did. No meetings or pity partys. I wish I could knock some back today, but I'm better off. I'm definetly not anti, I usually have some good micros in my fridge for guests.

I loved me some wine! What a spendy habit though.

Glad you could stop. My grandma died form it.
Wine doesn't do it for me, maybe when i'm older...

I just realized another reason I like this site. These guys are real people. I know you guys are talking about with people being soft. I've cut wood thru out the season for 18-19 years for the public. I like it or I wouldn't do it. But I've never missed a meal and my kids don't do with out. I usually have a full time job but I need the extra income. Some folks probably look down on me but they are just looking for a reason too. My kids are helping me load now and my daughter even runs a hydro splitter some. I believe teaching them to work is as good for them as it was for me at that age. Yes they play video games and watch tv, they aren't deprived. I am not against fun but they help me some too. I've tried to teach um right and all. America is full of people that think you have to be popular or goodlooking or a athlete to be a hero. My idea of hero's is different. Most of the hero today have never hit a lick at a snake let along a full days work. I say if you like and you can make a living at it do it. I judge people by their heart not their job. I wish everyone could do the same.

Not that I have kids, but your a darn good man for teaching your kids to work. I hope you and your family have a good Thanksgiving.

The lord loves a working man, that's what they say.

Last edited:
I didn't grow up poor, but we were not super well off by no means. I always had good clothes to wear and good food to eat.

When I was 12 my Dad offered to start taking me wood cutting on Weekends and after school to make money. He sawed it, and I split and stacked the truck and unloaded on deliveries. He split it right down the middle (plus a little fuel money) and that's how I bought my first dirt bike, got my good fishing gear and truck.

My claim to fame at work is superior log quality and hard work. I thank my Dad for that.

I didn't grow up poor, but we were not super well off by no means. I always had good clothes to wear and good food to eat.

When I was 12 my Dad offered to start taking me wood cutting on Weekends and after school to make money. He sawed it, and I split and stacked the truck and unloaded on deliveries. He split it right down the middle (plus a little fuel money) and that's how I bought my first dirt bike, got my good fishing gear and truck.

My claim to fame at work is superior log quality and hard work. I thank my Dad for that.

Me too. He taught me if you have a job to do, you put your head down and get at it, but do it right. Another simple and well known, but little practised tid bit he passed down was "never judge a book by it's cover".

:clap: Good post. Hang around. :cheers:

i'm not trying to be uppity or mr. know it all, just asking a question so i can learn.

in that last pic, what was steve's reason for not putting in a snipe?

(if you guys in oregon call it that - i realize there's variance in falling terminology from one hill to the next.)

thanks for sharing the pics.

i'm not trying to be uppity or mr. know it all, just asking a question so i can learn.

in that last pic, what was steve's reason for not putting in a snipe?

(if you guys in oregon call it that - i realize there's variance in falling terminology from one hill to the next.)

thanks for sharing the pics.

A snipe kicks the butt off the stump and puts it in the ground, a block out face keeps it hooked up longer. A snipe (or Swanson cut, a really steep face, Canadian term) is typically used on steep terrain going down hill or other similar applications. Since the hump in the lay would break the wood (120-160ft tall), it needs to stay hooked up as long as possible. The log hits the ground evenly, not top or butt first, make sense?

Sorry I didn't get back to ya in your PM bud. I wasn't delibertly ignoring ya. Hope you are having a good thanksgiving!

I just finished the house cleaning, the turkey is in the oven, rolls (store bought) are rising. Now we wait for company. The Used Dog is whining because he is banished outdoors for a while Time for a break then, how do you make REAL mashed potatoes? How long to boil potatoes? Strike that last one, you boil them until they are soft.

This is hard because I am a nuker of potatoes.

Do not worry, I have a Sunset Magazine recipe for some kind of jazzed up mashed potatoes!

Have a good one everybody. Today it is acceptable to wear elastic waist pants. :)

I just finished the house cleaning, the turkey is in the oven, rolls (store bought) are rising. Now we wait for company. The Used Dog is whining because he is banished outdoors for a while Time for a break then, how do you make REAL mashed potatoes? How long to boil potatoes? Strike that last one, you boil them until they are soft.

This is hard because I am a nuker of potatoes.

Do not worry, I have a Sunset Magazine recipe for some kind of jazzed up mashed potatoes!

Have a good one everybody. Today it is acceptable to wear elastic waist pants. :)
I just got mom to bring them her mashed taters are a family legend. I have stuffed and cooked our turkey since Mntngal and I have been together. I think real men should be able to cook just one more way they can take care of the family.

Photo 3

The block face:

Thanks for the quick explanation too.

"Steve pulling a block out face. It will hold the tree on the stump longer. He used it in this case because of a small hump in the lay, about 80 feet out. This is really, ripe, tall wood. The longer it stays on the stump on ground like this, the less likely it will break."

--------------

The Scandinavian guys just don't realize among other things, that:
1) The power with which larger timber and taller trees come over.
2) That an open face is not the one cut fits all.

===========

For the beginner on this particular discussion may I add the reason the block will hold longer is that a larger area is available to flex than with either a Humboldt, Conventional or Open Face.

That greater flex allows for longer hold than a pointed face can.

Caveat, your timber may vary and the benefit may be minimal.

=========

That picture of your Dad is a classic.

You can see the tree is just going and that is about the most important time to look up. His posture shows that he has done that before and his physique does the same.

--------

Happy Turkey. My countdown is 1.5 hours.
Just got sent to the store.

I have posted about using a snipe on a block out face before.
I said that one is almost always needed. I was referring to a narrower ratio on the block. Once the two round edges meet as the face closes it tends to cam the tree around if one side of the hinge breaks first.
On that tree with that big of a block out the tree will be well over before the face closes.
Smoke chase is right. the block out will allow the fibers to bend at a large radius instead of around a sharp corner.

A snipe kicks the butt off the stump and puts it in the ground, a block out face keeps it hooked up longer. A snipe (or Swanson cut, a really steep face, Canadian term) is typically used on steep terrain going down hill or other similar applications. Since the hump in the lay would break the wood (120-160ft tall), it needs to stay hooked up as long as possible. The log hits the ground evenly, not top or butt first, make sense?

Sorry I didn't get back to ya in your PM bud. I wasn't delibertly ignoring ya. Hope you are having a good thanksgiving!

thanks for the explanation.

hope your thanksgiving is well too.

Steve

1259201886.jpg

This is my tree killer. Dude is a hell of a timber faller, nice guy, wise, and very gracious, just like my Dad.

Yep, he is a hell of a Timber Faller...I agree with everything you said about him! I have worked with him a bunch, and when I saw these pics I was like..."hey, that's Steve"! So I called him today. He helped me out of the brush once in Humboldt when I went for a ride down the mountain with a couple of small redwoods. Thanks for posting the pics of somebody who definitely deserves respect :)

All I know is, I grew up in the wrong part of the country. I'd love to pack it up and move out west to do that type of felling. Very true on hard work and the next generation. I do a lot of carpentry on the side for extra income and I get my kids interested and involved. My 3 year old boy was snappin chalk lines with me the other day and marking measurements. My daughters (8 and 4) get involved too, they both know what a biscuit jointer is and helped build our kitchen table that we eat dinner at every night. There is way too much softness in the world today. I'm trying to make sure my kids know whats right.

Great pics and thanks for sharing!

Them old boys you work with remind me of a few in my trade. Still sharp as a tack, seen a lot and only teach the fellas that deserve it. I learn all day either from their stories or their wisdom.

I wish there was more money in timber. I could do that for a livin easy.

Question though, on flatter ground, how come you guys are hand fallin? That looks like processor ground out here. That's a cuss word, I know...

Heel up quick. There's no money to be made laid up!

I'll take a stab and guess that those trees are too heavy for a buncher. They look to be right at the limit. There were trees of that size on a sale here and they had to hand fall them as they were too tall and heavy. It is the height + weight more than diameter that is a limiting factor.

The potatoes turned out along with everything else.

Them old boys you work with remind me of a few in my trade. Still sharp as a tack, seen a lot and only teach the fellas that deserve it. I learn all day either from their stories or their wisdom.

I wish there was more money in timber. I could do that for a livin easy.

Question though, on flatter ground, how come you guys are hand fallin? That looks like processor ground out here. That's a cuss word, I know...

Heel up quick. There's no money to be made laid up!

You're right...it is a cuss word.:) The use of a feller buncher usually comes down to money. If there's enough work for it, and it takes a lot, to make it worthwhile to pay the costs of moving one in, using it, and moving it back out they'll get used. It's not worth it, though, to move one in for just a few trees.

And that makes more work for fallers. :clap:

I was offered a job running one of those things. I said no. I'll run Cat, loader, skidder, spent a couple of really boring days on a stroker delimber once...hell, I'll even drive truck. But running a feller buncher just kinda seems like treason somehow.

I'll take a stab and guess that those trees are too heavy for a buncher. They look to be right at the limit. There were trees of that size on a sale here and they had to hand fall them as they were too tall and heavy. It is the height + weight more than diameter that is a limiting factor.

The potatoes turned out along with everything else.

Yes there is a lot of big wood that is tall, but the ground is only flat for short distances, really broken up, draws, ridges, ect. trees longer than the ground in spots, and some steep areas.

Back