False crotch question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saddle

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
For wrapping it around a trunk, would this work? Planning on SRS with it where there are no natural crotches

Thank you
CC2B20A4-783F-456D-9B4E-4D08CD5DF764.png

Hello Saddle:
Friction savers like that don’t “choke” around single columns (like the trunk of a tree) well. The small ring won’t pass through the large ring. So if it happened to be exactly the correct size for a particular trunk it might work. Otherwise I’d look for a sling that would work for many different diameters. Others here will explain this better than me.

Howard

Hopefully others will tune in, but I notice you are looking to climb SRS. I climb moving rope, and the only way I'd use that on a straight spar(no crotches) would be if it was long enough to go around twice, but then it isn't reliably ground retrievable, and can't be set from the ground either.
For static line you have different options obviously, if you describe the situation someone probably will recommend a set up. You may not need that gear at all.

I believe it is a white pine. There are some limbs I could probably use, but I was trying to think of different scenarios if I were to encounter straight limb trees. This is strictly for practice

Thanks again
CF00EF75-DE6C-4776-854E-02919DC95B22.jpeg

Possibly see if you can set the line up in that trunk splits (probably previous ice damage?)...but I'd be a little hesitant to set it there from the ground because there may not be a lot of solid wood holding that if there is a lot of rot. Set it close to the trunk on one of the big limbs.

You could also use an alpine butterfly and a quickie to choke the tree trunk. If you leave enough slack on the non climb side you can use it for retrieval. Problem is you wont get it set much higher than any of the branches. When I'm using this method I mess around with the rope and/or throwline until I have them wrapped around the trunk and isolated together.

Latest posts

Back