Farmertec 066 problems.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnakenBacon

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I have a farmertec g660 that I bought a couple months ago. in the first month the muffler rattled apart, and the spot welds actually broke. There was a warranty on it, so I emailed the guy I bought it from and he sent me a new muffler. The reason it rattled off is because there was no gasket between the muffler and the head, so the screws were loose. Fast forward another month, and the saw just dies on me. I take the muffler off and the piston and rings are shot. I contacted the seller again and he sends me a new piston and rings. (****** warranty right?) Having never done this before and with no directions I put the new piston in. The saw ran good. When I went out to cut with it I cut a wedge in a tree, and then it died and wouldn't start before I could do my back cut. It keeps flooding. I can get it to start from cold, and rev it a little bit, then it just cuts out and dies. I just ordered a OEM carb. Any other ideas what the culprit could be?

So I have a farmertec g660 that I bought a couple months ago. in the first month the muffler rattled apart, and the spot welds actually broke. There was a warranty on it, so I emailed the guy I bought it from and he sent me a new muffler. The reason it rattled off is because there was no gasket between the muffler and the head, so the screws were loose. Fast forward another month, and the saw just dies on me. I take the muffler off and the piston and rings are shot. I contacted the seller again and he sends me a new piston and rings. (****** warranty right?) Having never done this before and with no directions I put the new piston in. The saw ran good. When I went out to cut with it I cut a wedge in a tree, and then it died and wouldn't start before I could do my back cut. It keeps flooding. I can get it to start from cold, and rev it a little bit, then it just cuts out and dies. I just ordered a OEM carb. Any other ideas what the culprit could be?
CHINA!

Possibly too lean or air leak killed the top end, my G660 has been very reliable 11 months into owning it..just loaned it out to a logger who put about 3 gallons thru it over 2 weeks and he loved it.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Possibly too lean or air leak killed the top end, my G660 has been very reliable 11 months into owning it..just loaned it out to a logger who put about 3 gallons thru it over 2 weeks and he loved it.

Well the cylinder is not scarred up or anything, but when I was doing the Piston I did notice that one of the head bolts was kind of loose. Everything's tightened up now and I can get it to start but when I'm giving it throttle it just floods, gas and premix coming out the muffler

You failed miserably the moment you opted out of a decent chainsaw, and chose cheap chinesium.....wheres your nearest dumpster.......

Well the cylinder is not scarred up or anything, but when I was doing the Piston I did notice that one of the head bolts was kind of loose. Everything's tightened up now and I can get it to start but when I'm giving it throttle it just floods, gas and premix coming out the muffler
Turn the H needle in until it softly seats..back it out 3/4 turn see if that at least gets it revving

Prepare for lots of holier than thou hate...they generally aren't bad saws...im getting ready to order a couple more myself

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapa

I've tried resetting the carb, tried it at 3/4, and 1 full turn also. I actually ordered an OEM carb thinking it may be that. It will be here thursday

So it starts fine? Idles fine? Give er the beans and it just floods out?

I did not. I figured it had something to do with the muffler that rattled apart.
You figured? Aren't you a mechanic? The muffler does nothing but quiet the noise.....the QC in China is reliant on their teenage people working next to a gaucamole green river.....and living on the muffler gaskets................

So it starts fine? Idles fine? Give er the beans and it just floods out?

Second pull pops the decomp valve, and it sounds like it wants to run. Flip the switch up, and 3 or 4 pulls later it will start. It will then either die right away, or if I hit the throttle fast enough it will run for maybe 2 or 3 seconds, then flood out.

M
You figured? Aren't you a mechanic? The muffler does nothing but quiet the noise.....the QC in China is reliant on their teenage people working next to a gaucamole green river.....and living on the muffler gaskets................
Mufflers that are in tact quiet noise. Mufflers that the spot welds broke inside of have missing pieces here and there and inside the head most likely.

You failed miserably the moment you opted out of a decent chainsaw, and chose cheap chinesium.....wheres your nearest dumpster.......
I understand the appeal of these saws. They're cheap and kinda fun for the tinkerers out there, but if you want a reliable saw that is warranty honored by the dealer when something does go wrong, which is rarely for solid saws like the big names out there, don't get the Chinese crap. Each of these saws have terrible plastic, metals, bad welds and fit. They require a spare parts kit right off the bat. Sure, you can get great power from a knockoff of a big Stihl, but the hassle of broken parts, major shipping costs, failure not regularly warranted like the real thing, make them a terrible investment for the arborist, rancher, or the regular folks like me living in the woods needing reliability. You get what you pay for and many times it's far less.

What is the compression on the new piston and rings. I picked up a K970 concrete saw that would do the same and it had a base gasket leak and also low compression. It idled and started fine fine but was flooded on a hot restart.

What is the compression on the new piston and rings. I picked up a K970 concrete saw that would do the same and it had a base gasket leak and also low compression. It idled and started fine fine but was flooded on a hot restart.
About 120 with my first tester. But I tried a second and it's around 95 or 100, which is telling me that I've got an air leak somewhere. I think it's the clutch seal. When I did the Piston swap though, I did notice that one of the screws that holds the top end down was not very tight at all, obviously I have tightened it down since.

Is there a way to diagnose a faulty decompression valve? Or some way to tell where it's leaking air from?

About 120 with my first tester. But I tried a second and it's around 95 or 100, which is telling me that I've got an air leak somewhere. I think it's the clutch seal. When I did the Piston swap though, I did notice that one of the screws that holds the top end down was not very tight at all, obviously I have tightened it down since.

Is there a way to diagnose a faulty decompression valve? Or some way to tell where it's leaking air from?
Test your tester on a good saw and tell us what you get.

Latest posts

Back